“Centrally located option in Rabat” 3 of 5 stars

Royal Hotel Rabat
1 Rue Amman bp 175, Rabat 10000, Morocco   |
Ranked #20 of 37 Hotels in Rabat
Barcelona, Spain
“Centrally located option in Rabat”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

I stayed here for a night in October 2011. While my room was clean and the hotel centrally located, I found it overpriced in comparison to other options in the area. I paid about 550 dirhams for a en suite single for one night. To be fair I should point out that the room had a tv and air conditioning both of which I did not use - I suppose if you watch tv and come in the summer these amenities might make this hostel a good choice.

My room had an en suite bathroom, a small desk, a double bed, a small refrigerator, a small tv, and some doors/large shutters that opened onto a street. Traffic wasn't too loud on the street, but the call to prayer from the nearby mosque was too loud to sleep through - it woke me up at 5am. The hotel has a restaurant (breakfast was included in my room price) and a nice seating area with tv and free wifi (no wifi in my room). It's about a 5-8 minute walk to the Rabat Ville train station and just a few blocks from the medina. Lots of shops, cafes, and restaurants are in the immediate vicinity of the hotel. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in a room that does not open to the nearby mosque - you'll sleep better.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

Stayed here in December 11. I arrived late in the evening and just looked for any hotels I could find. This was one of several hotels I looked at. Great central location. Only a 5-8 min walk from train station and same distance to medina area. Room cost around 480 MD/£37 for a double room (off the rack price). Nothing fancy about the hotel but perfectly fine for a good nights sleep. Bed was comfortable with clean white sheets, bed throw was clean, though covering blanket had seen better days. My room overlooked a side street and had a balcony. I didn't find the room noisy. Bathroom was clean but a bit small and I would agree with other posts about the shower area, which is 'walk in' and part of the rest of the bathroom divided by a shower curtain with a slightly lowered floor. Breakfast staff were very friendly, helpful and were happy to cook a hot breakfast accompanied with tea, juice, pastries and a bottle of water. They may have offered yogurts and fresh fruit but i didn't ask. The hotel also offers free wi free. Wi fi all worked fine, including in my room. Check out is around mid day. Overall - only half a notch - below any of the budget chain hotels - but for the location and cost, a decent enough hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you agree to stay. If you're staying several days or longer, book by...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Keaau, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

My wife and I arrived in Rabat (our first stop in Morocco) in the last afternoon. We had flown into Casablanca from Madrid, and taken two trains from the airport to Rabat station. We arrived with no reservations and the intention of staying at the Hotel Splendid on advice from the Lonely Planet and Trip Advisor. Unfortunately, the Splendid would have been just fine for me when I traveled as a backpacker, but those days are past.

We ended up staying at the Royal because we really needed a comfortable room after our long day of travel. Our initial impression was that the hotel was very nice. We had a small balcony that looked out on a quiet side street and across at the nearby mosque. At the time we thought little of the annoying fact that we needed to move the rug at the foot of the bed in order to open the doors to the balcony. However, it soon became apparent that our small room had other quirks. The small refrigerator that was recently added (and the person who showed me the room proudly pointed out) fit poorly under the dressing table. Its presence meant that it was impossible to pull the chair out from under the table. Moreover, there was no electrical outlet into which to plug the refrigerator. We move the unit under the bathroom counter where it fit and where we could plug it in. Speaking of the bathroom, it had a shower (no bathtub) whose floor was only slightly lower than that to the bathroom as a whole. This might have worked to contain the shower water, if the shower floor had sloped properly to the drain. Unfortunately, it did not, so some water spilled onto the bathroom floor. Not enough to annoy, but enough to confirm the pattern of this hotel.

The included breakfast was tasty and generous, and all the staff were helpful and cheerful, and the hotel was a short walk from the train station.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

This one of the few reasonably priced hotels that had availability when we were there in April. It is within a few blocks to the train station and central to the major attractions around Rabat. Our room was small and the furnishings were modest. The room had a small balcony which overlooked a quiet park. Nothing special but nothing to complain about. We looked at several rooms before choosing the one we selected. One of the rooms had a large balcony but faced the busier street, and the sun. Ours was smaller, quieter and on the shadier side.

Rabat was a refreshing change from Fes and Marrakech - no hassle factor, no one was expecting a fee for taking a photo and no one was offering a hard sell once you showed the slightest interest in items in a shop. Fes and Marrakech could take some lessons from this town. Rabat had plenty of places to see and do to easily fill up a day. It was a pleasant and, admittedly, unexpected surprise.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

I have stayed at the Royal several times, the first was about seven years ago. The Royal is several steps above basic by Moroccan standards and is located in the very heart of Rabat. Parliment and cafes just a block or so away and just a few blocks from the Medina. Balcony rooms are very pleasant indeed. The balconies overlooking the garden and mosque do welcome the calls to prayer but such is Morocco. The room I recently had facing the street was not noisy when I shut the doors to the balcony. Travelers who remember the surley men who searved breakfast in the past will be happy to find that, as of this year, they have been replaced by a warm and gracious female staff.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2011

Stayed here with my teenage son for one night. Actually, my 2nd time at this hotel. The place is classy inside and its dated interior was improved since the last visit. Had room with a balcony across the street from a mosque and park. Very quiet except for times of call to prayer, particularly 5:00 a.m. if that bothers you. Room lacked sufficient electrical outlets. Mini fridge had to moved across room to available outlet -- only one in room besides bathroom. Water from shower went all over bathroom floor. Beds hard as rock, so could not get a good night's sleep. Location was great about 4 blocks from Rabat Ville train station and about 3 blocks from medina. Breakfast continental plus egg. Good but not generous.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

This place has a very outdated feel about it and really became our last resort since a lot of the other hotels we had on our list were fully booked. The rooms are very basic and ours faced the street making it very difficult to fall asleep and keep on being asleep. Overpriced for what you get and make sure you have earplugs if you do decide to stay at Hotel Royal.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Been to Royal Hotel Rabat? Share your experiences!