“Great music, great ambiance, decent food” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 193 Restaurants in Rabat
Cuisines: French, Moroccan, International, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Doing business, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Mediterranean cuisine, large choice of cocktails, local and foreign wine. Modern atmosphere. Live jazz, fusion and world music every Tuesday, Friday and Saturday starting at 9 p.m. Occasional jam sessions. Literature café once a month on a Thursday.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great music, great ambiance, decent food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This is Rabat's "coffeehouse-bar" restaurant with lots of ambience; great for groups. Food is a bit hit or miss, and service commensurate with hanging around and listening to music while you wait...

Visited December 2012

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Go there for drinks and the music”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I had previously eaten here and was not overly impressed with the food, but wanted to come back on a night with music. During my more recent visit I had dinner elsewhere (Dar Naji) and came by for drinks, dessert, and jazz. We were tired so we only stayed for one set (not sure if they had a second set) which started pretty much on time and lasted about an hour. Music was very nice (they have music three nights a week, check the schedule on the website), dessert and drinks both good. We were glad we made reservations because the place was full. A bit smoky, which is going to be the case in pretty much any bar in Morocco. They must have a good ventilation system, because while we smelled the smoke it was not as strong as we would have expected, given how many people were smoking. The staff did not seem to mind that we had made a reservation and sat at a table, then each only ordered one drink and a dessert without eating dinner.

• Visited April 2013
Rutland, United Kingdom
“good atmosphere, ok food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The bistrot has a good atmosphere with music, popular even on the Monday night i visited. The menu is not vast but a reasonable selection. Pasta, fish, beef, lamb dishes. Mostly international with a Tajine too. The specials board looked good. My beef lasagna was ok and small portion.

I would go back for the ambience and try the specials.

• Visited April 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Unexceptional food, might have been better on a music night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Rereading this review before I post it, it definitely comes off negative and I did not intend to write a negative review, because I did not have a negative experience here; it was decent but not great. We were there on a night without music, our own doing, and good music could have changed this from an average to a very good. My husband and I each ordered a warm goat cheese salad which was a little disappointing, we both thought the cheese seemed over-toasted, but oddly that it could have been a bit warmer. He had the ostrich filet in a mustard sauce, which he liked a lot and was somewhat unusual (particularly in Rabat). I ate the tender filet of beef in a mushroom sauce, which was nice but not exceptional (though I might have thought more highly of it if I had not had a really delicious steak elsewhere the night before). Actually they did not bring me the sauce but another person in our party had ordered the same and had lots of extra sauce, so I used hers. And without the sauce I thought mine was a bit dry. We had a couple of weird aspects to the service. Besides my sauce not arriving the timing seemed off for some of our food. We were in a large party (10 people total), most of whom ordered an appetizer and a main. One person who did not order an appetizer got her main dish when the appetizers came out, and some people received both their starter and their main at the same time. Both my husband’s and my dishes came with a choice of sides and we each ordered tagliatelli with pesto, again good but not great. For dessert we shared the “suprême au chocolat”—good mousse, but supreme might be an overstatement. Overall, the meal was average, maybe would have been better with music, but I probably wouldn’t go back.

• Visited December 2012
Dakar, Senegal
“delicious creme brulee, jazz fridays”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Creme brulee was different, more like a cheese cake than custard, but delicious nonetheless. there was a bassanova jazz group performing and the singer was really good.

Visited December 2012