“Second time here and just as wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars

Riad Dar Mayssane
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   13 rue Faran - Khechen, Rabat 10000, Morocco   |
Ranked #4 of 40 Rabat B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Second time here and just as wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This was my second stay at Dar Mayssane and I was actually a little nervous—my previous visit (in December 2012) was so wonderful I was concerned that this time would not live up to the earlier experience. I need not have been concerned. Dar Mayssane remains one of my favorite riads of the dozen in which I have stayed in Morocco. On this visit it was the same beautiful riad with the same wonderful service, great breakfast, and location. My husband and I again stayed in the Amandine room, this time his sister and her husband were with us and they stayed in the Concubine room, which is even nicer. It would be difficult for a tall person to stand up in the bathtub in the Concubine room—the room has very high ceilings, but it is split-level and the bathtub is in a loft area; the shower in the room is separate and does not have the same problem. Everything from my prior review remained true. I would add that the Dar Mayssane is one of the taller buildings in the Rabat medina, so the view from the roof is exceptional. Also if you are staying in the Amandine room with another person, it should be someone with whom you are comfortable, as you should know that the toilet is behind a screen, but not in a completely separately enclosed area. This has been the case in some other riads in which I have stayed, I am guessing most likely as a result of being older buildings which have been retrofitted with western toilets and modern plumbing. The Concubine room’s bathroom is a separately enclosed area.
A few reviewers have had difficulty finding this riad; my prior review (dated 2 January 2013) contains detailed directions. One reviewer states that the riad does not have wifi. It does, but the wifi works best in the common areas on the ground floor, and I sometimes could not connect elsewhere. In my experience in Morocco there is often an inverse relationship between how nice a place is and how good the wireless connection, the nicer the place the worse the internet. I cannot figure out why this is the case.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

70 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We had the hardest time finding this riad from the airport, but it was worth it. When you walk into the Dar Mayssane through the tiny front door you are transported to another era. The tiled walls and high-vaulted ceilings just add to the experience. Our room was incredible, with it´s ornate wood paneled walls and Moroccan tiled foyer. This was a great starting point in our trip through Morocco.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed in La Belle Endormie room for two nights. The riad is lovely, and exudes French charm as well as Moroccan. The tile in our room was amazing, and I didn't realize we would have a large terrace to ourselves, which was nice. The room is on the roof of the riad, so there are a lot of stairs, but it was worth it for the privacy. Because the weather was pretty lousy the time we were there, there was never anyone on the roof, otherwise I'd assume that privacy would be less if people were up there lounging across from the terrace. It would have been nice to be there in better weather so the terrace could be enjoyed more.

The breakfasts were tasty, and the staff were very friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. My only disappointment is that although it was advertised that wifi was available, there was none. There was some type of wall plug-in that you had to ask for, then punch in a long password into your phone/laptop, but it never connected. Had this riad been advertised as having no wifi, it would have been filtered out of our internet search for accommodations and we would not have booked there. In hindsight though, the stay was good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights towards the end of February. My first (and lasting) impression of this riad was WOW! It is gorgeous and the staff was fantastic. My french is limited, so Vanessa's English skills were highly appreciated. She was an amazing host that really wanted to help us find our way in town and help us select restaurants. She helped us out with us not having to ask, so it was really cool to have that kind of attention. She and the rest of the staff definitely made you feel at home. Breakfast was delicious as well!
As for the riad itself, it was absolutely gorgeous. The tile work was beautiful and the riad was just really well designed and stylish. We stayed in the room 'La Concubine' and it too was fantastic. The ceilings were so high that they were able to loft the deep soaker tub over the bathroom! It was a really cool touch.
As for location, I was happy with this as well. It is a short walk to the sea and you are also right in the medina. We found it easy to get to the newer section of town with being right next to Ave Mohammad V. I also found it easy to get back to via taxi because it is close to major roads and medina gates. Some people complain about having a tough time getting here at first, but I found it a piece of cake to just pay a parking attendant a few dirhams and they showed us the way.
I think the price is pretty good for Rabat, so even though it felt high coming from Marrakech, I still think it was a good price for where it was. You do need to pay in cash, but I feel like as long as you know this beforehand it shouldn't be an issue. We did get a receipt.
We were very pleased with our stay here and on the off chance we are ever in Rabat again, we will want to stay here!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bronxville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The decor in this authentic hotel is a wonderfully chic blend of French and Moroccan, old and new. We had a delicious dinner in a lovely dining area. The staff was welcoming and helpful. Great location in the medina. i would highly recommend this hotel for a vacation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Rabat, Morocco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I loved the decor and the atmosphere of this place - perfect for a weekend get away - I stayed in the sultane room, which was quite beautiful, my only complaints were
1. not enough hot water to take a bath
2. the staff had a very difficult time with my bill, over-billing me twice and insisting on cash with NO RECEIPT. After several calls with the management I was told they would email me a receipt, I requested one several times, they never produced one and stopped answering my emails.
Bottom line- do not expect to be able to expense this place, but if you don't mind a cash only transaction, which is very common in Morocco - you are good to go!
3. not easy to find- in the Medina down a sidestreet and NO SIGNS or markers- you must knock on a very nondiscript door and cross your fingers to get in!

Room Tip: the sultane is very nice, 3rd floor, so you have to carry your luggage up steep steps- open to court...