“nice pastries” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 37 hotels in Rabat
Dubai, U.A.E.
“nice pastries”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We were greeted with some Moroccan tea and the tastiest pastries :) That is always a good start to a hotel stay.
The room was comfortable and the food was acceptable. It was cold and rainy when we got and we were staying for only one night, so we did not really get to see city much.
My one issue was the smoking. Like a previous poster said, they close up the riad area in cold and rain, and people smoke inside and it gets really bad sometimes. Also, the staff kept squabbling regardless of whether or not guests were around. Overall, nice establishment. They need to work on the smoke and the squabbling though.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Azuelos007, Guest Relations Manager at Riad Kalaa, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Madam,

We really thank you to take the time to write a comment on your feelings about Riad Kalaa. We are happy to read that you enjoyed your time here and sorry about the weather :-(

Concerning the smoke, We will try to improve that. Curently, the patio is opened so there are no problems. I can understand that this is not pleasent.
I will also tell to the staff to be more discrete in order to not disturb the guests.

357 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

This is a very lovely Riad, and my room was beautiful and well-appointed. I was on the second floor in the middle and it was very quiet. I would stay here again were I in Rabat, but the staff needs a bit of education in the art of running an inn. When I got to reception there was a heated squabble going on between the three women there (in French, so I have no idea what the problem was), and I was left to stand for some time while they bickered.

When they finally got to checking me in there was a very perfunctory introduction to the city with a map and that was it. I wasn't told about the dinner that I could have in the Riad if I liked, no mention of breakfast or what time or where it would be, I wasn't shown anything in the room (how to work the safe, etc.); essentially, they got me checked in with as little fanfare as possible. While I was being checked in in the courtyard, by the way, the squabble continued behind me, conduct I felt was most unprofessional.

It was mentioned before that you are sometimes left in the street for some time after ringing the bell, and when the door was finally opened the person stood there stone faced. No bon jour, no Salama, no welcome, or as they say in Hawaii, no Aloha. I almost felt as though I was intruding on them.

They put a top over the courtyard in the evening, and people eat (and smoke) there. If you're sensitive to noise and food and smoke smells avoid staying on the ground floor.

If you're thinking about making a stop in Rabat, by the way, there isn't much there for the tourist. I spent three hours looking around in the afternoon and I was ready to leave. You can skip this town without regret, and you can skip this Riad for one with more Aloha.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the street on an upper floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Azuelos007, Public Relations Manager at Riad Kalaa, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Riad Kalaa. We are sorry that your experience did not meet your exepctations; please accept our apologies.
At Riad Kalaa, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customers; therefor your feedback is very important for us.
Pleast, be assured that we will take the appropriate mesures to provide a nice and friendly welcome to all of our guest (starting by opening the door quick with a nice word and a smile).
These comments will give us the opportunity to better serve in the near futur.

Wirral
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Lovely friendly riad - smaller than others we stayed in, but memorable for the room on the roof near the pool and the fantastic dinner. Quite easy to find again after you've been led there the first time, and the medina easy to negotiate also. Lovely fruit in the room and nicely decorated throughout. We ordered our tagine for dinner when we arrived and both options were delicious, as where the Moroccan salads, breads and lemon puddings. We found the service informal and friendly throughout.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir, Madam,

Thank you for your comment. I will share it with all the staff to encourage them.

malibu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

This is a lovely place to stay , the staff is helpful and nice. The room was nice and the bed comfortable. The only problem seems to be Morocco when it rains a lot the bathrooms seems to stink a bit , we ran in to this smell all the time in Morroco. Breakfast is lovely. the Riad is located down a few lanes in the Medina, so you have to get your luggage down there , you can ring the Riad and they well come help you. Rabat is pretty safe and we never felt unsafe walking back in the evenings.the only thing that I can complain about is the really annoying music they stream all evening,

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sir, Madam,

I thank you for your comment. I am sorry about the smell in the bathroom. Concerning the music, we will put it down earlier to not disturb the guests' sleep.

I hope to welcome you again in Riad Kalaa,

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Riad Kalaa must be one of the nicest riads in Rabat (we spent only one night in Rabat, so we have only seen this one). It is a 'wow' place when you enter. What a tranquil, beautiful patio! The room (we stayed at La Favorite) was nice but a bit dark - but that is the case in many riad rooms. This riad is located in the medina, just five minutes walking from the Kasbah des Oudaias (one of the town's sights) and the ocean. Kalaa has a nice little pool on the rooftop, but unfortunately it was a bit too cold for the time of the year to enjoy it - must be great in summer!
Our only reason to score this place 'very good' and not 'excellent', is the hospitality (which was rather poor). The French lady who welcomed us was very friendly and helpful, as was the staff at the breakfast. However, the waiter who served us dinner was not friendly, even rude (we had agreed to have dinner at the riad since they would keep the table just in front of our room - handy when you have two babies who are already asleep - the guy couldn't care less that the table was taking when we arrived to have dinner). Another lady working for the management would also have benefited from a smile on the face (we got stressed when ordering dinner and finally gave up renting a car to go to El Jadida via them and took the train instead - a nice alternative actually). We're not staying at hotels to become friends with owners, we don't need to feel like being part of a family, but the overall feeling was not too good. A pity since it is really a marvellous place. As mentioned: 'very good' is in our opinion a fair balance between the 'excellent accommodation' and 'average to poor hospitality'.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Christophe,

I really thank you to take the time to write a comment about your stay in Riad Kalaa.
I will tell about your bad experience about the hospitality to my collegues to remind that we always need to be nice, friendly and have the smile with our guests.
By the way, I am happy to read that you had a nice time in the suite with your children. We really hope to welcome you again in a nicer atmosphere.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

My wife and I only spent a single night at Riad Kalaa. It didn't disappoint.

We booked the room of stars which was their best room. It was quite lovely.

The entire Riad was pretty magic and that's where we would stay again if in Rabat.

Still what I will remember most fondly is frankly one of the best meals in my life. Wow! Duck with caramilised apple. The wine was also good.

You could take this for granted, but the staff were just lovely as well.

If you stay here, you will not regret it.

I had a massage for an hour. My wife's shout. Just lovely.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Azuelos007, Guest Relations Manager at Riad Kalaa, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review on Trip advisor. We are really happy to hear that you had a nice moment with us in Riad Kalaa.

King Regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

I usually rate a hotel by its towel. The thicker, fluffier and soft it is, the higher rating it will place in my book. If this rating is solely used on Riad Kalaa, the riad (which is similar to best and breakfast) would sit comfortably high up there with five stars establishments.
But the towel alone is not only why I would rate this riad so highly. The entrance as you step into the big house welcomes you with warm lighting, the courtyard embraces you with soft music and the soft scent in the room seduces you.
I stayed here during my wife's baby moon at Etoille suite. Tatiana, the manager greeted us warmly and took us to the room, up a flight of stair. The suite is really nice with local details along the wall and animal skin rugs and heated floor beneath your feet. The sitting area outside the bedroom is filled with coffee table books of Morocco. Besides the bathroom that is a bit cramped, overall the details in the room is what boutique hotels around the world would envy. There were fresh fruit, fresh made cookies on tables and even rose petals in the bathroom. Tatiana even went the extra mile to fix my pants that was ripped the day before during the trip.
Dinner here is a set menu that would set you back 300 dirham per person, but we really enjoyed the fish tagine, which we tried and loved. Breakfast, which is included w the room rate consist of coffee, fresh fruit, freshly squeezed orange juice, assortment of local warm bread and home made jam was also lovely. As it was winter, we had both breakfast and dinner downstairs, but there is actually an outdoor dining area and dipping pool at the rooftop.
Right outside the gate, you can wander around to the medina and souk which is great. This riad is just located minutes from both where you can get lost, and spend couple of hours finding your way back to this little haven. Overall, I'm extremely happy staying at this riad and glad my guides from Around Morroco travel agent suggested it

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Yudanta,

I really want to thank you for your comment. All the team is really happy to read that you and your wife enjoyed your stay in Riad Kalaa.

We try to offer the best services to our guests and be present at any time in case they need something. I will forward this message to the team, it will encourage them to carry on.

Thank you again and you will always be welcome in Riad Kalaa, with pleasure.

Kind regards,

Laetitia

Been to Riad Kalaa? Share your experiences!