“Magical oasis in the heart of Marrakech” 4 of 5 stars

You added AnaYela to your Saves list
AnaYela
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Derb Zerwl No 28, Marrakech 4000, Morocco   |
Ranked #100 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
“Magical oasis in the heart of Marrakech”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

AnaYela is a hidden away gem in the heart of the Medina, about a thirty minute walk away from the Jemaa el-Fnaa. Starting with the positive: the property itself is magical; you'll feel as though you've been transported into Arabian Nights. With only five rooms, this riad radiates calm - perfect for when you want to relax after having spent a day in the bustling streets of Marrakech. The staff is extremely friendly, the food is superb, the rooms are absolutely beautiful. There is a gorgeous roof terrace with a view across the old part of town (enjoy a shisha on the roof amidst pillows and flowing sheets). Our taxi ride from and to the airport were complimentary, and Mehdi, the manager, was very polite and extremely helpful in recommending local restaurants and booking day trips.

Now, to the (very few) cons: AnaYela is not a place to go if you're seeking privacy. Each room has a sliding glass door without a lock; there are no additional security measures (though each room does include a safe). While AnaYela is located in a bit of a dubious part of town, the riad itself is very safe. Unfortunately, due to the lack of real doors, there isn't much you can do about potential noise for this reason - though we did find that we got used to the muezzin's calls to prayer in the middle of the night rather quickly. AnaYela has a very intimate feel, and it begs its guests to adapt to the Moroccan way of life. If you're willing to forego the lock and let yourself drift, this will be a magical experience, no doubt.

A big hotel this is not, but I found this to the key to its charm. I had an amazing time at AnaYela, and would recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

70 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

This was our first trip to Marrakech and couldn't have stayed at a more magical and wonderful place. The staff were superb and made us feel like we were the only people in the riad. Mehdi arranged all our trips and they were just what we wanted, no big buses, just us and a guide or taxi. What I didn't expect was how amazing the food was, so good that we ended up eating in every night. After a day in the hustle and bustle of the city it was fantastic to come back to the quiet and beautiful retreat to recharge. A once in a lifetime experience.

Room Tip: Rooms to the right and directly in front of you from the front door are the quietest.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Gent, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Having worked for Design Hotels, I must say that Riad AnaYela was truly a magical experience!
A great thanks as well to Mehdi, for making our stay so wonderful and pleasant.
His advice took us to the most beautiful hidden spots in Marrakech and we really felt we were no tourist anymore...

We are already planning our trip back to Marrakech, and guess in which hotel we want to stay again ? ;)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

I wanted to get away, and have quality time with myself. Moreover I wanted to start writing my book on the participatory nature of reality. So I remembered where I wanted to go: Riad AnaYela.
I was taken care of like I was a king. The staff was not only "at my service" as one would expect from a good hotel, rather they went out of their way to make me feel comfortable every day. And I was not on your typical tourist program, only going out for 3-4 hours per day. So it really counted.
After the royal breakfast I went to the roof and sat there writing for a few hours, getting the lovingly prepared mint tea served 2,3 times... as much as I liked. A real pleasure. One thing you notice when you spend so much time in an open, concentrated mood on the roof - you hardly hear any mechanical sound. Children at play, and an occasional dog. What you would have heard in all cities before the industrial revolution gave us a soundscape more fit for machines then man.

I had most of my dinners at the Riad as well, and comparing the food with what I got in the restaurants in town, made me decide that. Delicious.
So thank you all who made my stay there a most wonderful experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Riad AnaYela was a great experience. Fantastic breakfast and the room was simply amazing-huge jacuzzi in the room. Very clean and safe. The only downside was that it was located a bit far away from the Medina-atleast a 30 minute walk if you know your way around. Otherwise it's best to take a taxi.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I stayed at Riad AnaYela with a girlfriend in February 2014. It was our first time visiting Morocco and the staff at Riad AnaYela helped us feel safe, comfortable and have a great visit. The property itself is stunning and we felt like princesses enjoying our large comfy bed, elegant bathtub and sunning on the rooftop terrace. Breakfast was delicious and every day the staff made sure we had all the information we needed to enjoy the day and stay safe. I highly recommend this Riad for first time visitors to Marrakech and female/solo travelers.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Our 2 week visit to Morocco included two nights at AnaYela near the beginning of our trip, from Nov 24 to 26. Mehdi, the manager of AnaYela, met us at the train station with a big smile on his face that made us feel welcome right away. His friendly attitude was evident in every member of his team and it meant that AnaYela was more of a home than just another riad. We were given a local phone to call in case we needed anything, and we appreciated being guided back to AnaYela after getting disoriented in the medina at night. On the second night, after a full day in Essouira, we came back to a delicious dinner served on cushions, with heat lamps to keep us warm. I loved the fireplace in our room and sleeping to the sound of crackling wood, and our bathtub was almost large enough for a few laps. AnaYela made us appreciate the tranquility of a well-appointed riad after hours wandering around the confusion of Marrakech, and we would gladly call it our home again if we return.

Room Tip: A room on the upper floor is quieter as the ground floor ones open directly to the central pool and...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to AnaYela? Share your experiences!