“Magical oasis...exceptional staff” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #86 of 471 Hotels in Marrakech
Sydney, Australia
“Magical oasis...exceptional staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Our 2night stay at anayela in January was an experience we will never forget. From the noisy streets you step into the most peaceful riade with exquisite surrounds and exceptional attention to detail. It was beyond our expectations. Staff were incredibly professional yet warm and friendly. The manager Daniel is knowledgable, down to earth and readily available if needed yet manages this unobtrusively. We felt like we were staying in our very own palace. Incredible. We will be back

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Arrived late at night after 36 hours flying (and waiting) and stepped through a small door in a dusty alley and entered another world I had only seen in fairy tales and movies. Hard to fault.

The pictures on the website are not touched up or shot from obtuse angles. This place is the real deal.

Would recommend the day long guided walk - avoiding the faux guides but you will still end up in the carpet shop and perfumery - although I don't think anyone has ever regretted buying an authentic berber rug (all three look great at home).

Its also worth getting up early in the morning and going on to the roof and looking across the City and and out to the snow capped mountains.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

We stayed in Anayela for two nights in june and were in awe of the breathtakingly beautiful riad. If you have always had some fantasy about Marrakech being a place out of 1001 nights, you'll see your dream come to life here. The riad is relatively small with 5 rooms, which secures you of some peace and quiet and very attentive and personal service. The place is an oasis after a day in the busy city: once the door closes behind you, the only thing you hear is the sound of the swallows and singbirds.
The rooms are stunning: very Marroccan with beautiful bed, bath in the room, arabic lights and tadelakt walls. When we were there, it was extremely hot (> 45* C), so the airco was very welcome. The beds were very comfortable and the babouches that we got when arriving, were used frequently.

But I think, besides the beauty of the place, the wonderful roof terrace, the welcome silence and the absolutely delicious (!) breakfast (with French cheeses, fresh fruit, bread and pancakes!) and dinner (try the tajine!), the thing that impressed me most was the staff. The staff was very friendly and helpful, polite and extremely attentive, and we were able to speak to some of them about Marrakech and living there, which gave a nice insight. A special thanks goes out to manager Daniel, who went above and beyond to make our stay as enjoyable as possible, helping us with all sorts of external enquiries and even coming along with us on a couple of trips. The fact that he was fluent in Dutch (besides French and German) made it even easier for us. Even when we stayed in other hotels for a couple of nights, he still helped us with several things.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no other riad to consider: Anayela is the one and only!

Room Tip: As far as I've seen, all the 5 rooms are really beautiful. I stayed on the first floor, in the r...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

Stayed here as a solo guest for one night. Was collected on time for the arranged airport transfer and on arriving was greeted by the Riad manager Daniel and given a small tour and talk about the history of the building.
During the afternoon I went out to explore the city and the riad provided me with a Moroccan mobile and took me part way into the city as it is very easy to get lost in the medina - which I did! On arriving back I had some trouble to a local man, and was being heckled (which is common in Morocco) and Daniel expertly managed this for me on my return which was greatly appreciated.
The food was very good for the evening meal, and as the only guest Daniel kept me company and we talked into the night. The room was comfortable and very well restored and I slept well. I had been upgraded to a suite at no extra cost as it was the low season.
Generally would recommend this riad, although it may be perhaps a little to pricey, but this is a minor point only.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

First of all, with my girlfriend we have to thank again the staff for an amazing service...
It was our first time in Marocco and the drive through the small street of the medina to stop in the "carpark" left us a bit wondering about where we had committed ourselves to stay for Valentine, however the Beaty of the place was evident and true to all the details on the website when we passed the wooden door at the end if a dark alley...
It's only after few hours that you appreciate the calm and peacefulness of the place!
We had a great time and received impeccable service!

• Stayed February 2011
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

Everything was perfect during my stay at the Anayela over five days in October 2010. The excellent behavior of the very kind staff, the service from airport shuttle to guided tours to the Atlas. We´ve always been supported honestly by the very polite people of the Anayela. The riad´s interior is not only designed with a lot of charme, its designed and furnished with a lot of heart. We felt very comfortable in our room on the first floor with a spacious and absolute clean bathroom. The always very obliging waiting staff served us a typical moroccan diner on the flying carpet, a romantic place on the roof top. We enjoyed our delicate meal and watched the sun set while the muezzin was calling - WHOW. The Anayela is situated in the north of the Medina, the authentic part of the old town, where you´ll not find the "normal tourist" but the real moroccan life, many artisan work shops and craftsmanship tradition. My stay in Marrakesh at the Anayela is one of those experiences, I´ll never forget.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

I chose AnaYela for the magic and the service, and both were delivered beautifully. I found the place on Tablet Hotels (always my first stop in the perpetual search for well-designed accommodations) and their review of the riad noted a staff "almost too lovely to be real," which I found to be a rather fitting description. The magic was quite breathtakingly present as well. The legend of Yela, the riad's namesake maiden, is hammered into the doors in silver and painted in artful Arabic calligraphy on the walls and the ceilings. The rooms are called chapters, there is a bedouin-style, tented "magic carpet tower" (where Yela received her first kiss and flew off above the rooftops of Marrakech with her lover), and the staff are all decked out in immaculate white and full of infallible graciousness. They really are almost too lovely to be real.

They have special drivers that are willing to navigate the impossibly narrow alleyways of the medina (which is not the done thing) in order to retrieve and redeposit you after taking you wherever you may wish to go. They give you a cellphone so that when (and I do mean when, not if) you become hopelessly lost in the labyrinth of the medina, you can call for help. They even moved the portable air conditioning unit from the office into our room after our own A/C went out after hours. Which reminds me, you really should get a room on the upper level, as the ground-floor rooms are not air conditioned at all.

The only slight glitch to do with the service was that they couldn't keep our dinner reservation in the magic carpet tower on the night of our arrival. I had arranged to have dinner waiting for us when we got in from the airport, and I had advised them that we expected to get there about 22:00. When we got in (via their own driver) at 22:30 our dinner was set up in another lovely area on the roof with a tent and a large table, and there was another couple in the magic carpet tower. We asked about it and were told that they couldn't hold the reservation because we were "so late." That was the only disappointment, and it really wasn't so bad. It just differed so tremendously from the rest of the service we received. If they'd been as spectacular about that as they were about everything else, they would have considered the standard wait time for customs (lengthier than anywhere else I've traveled) and calculated how long it usually takes for their driver to deliver guests coming in from the airport, and they would have known intuitively that we'd be half an hour later than I estimated! Really that's how en point they were when it came to every other service opportunity. So the bottom line is that I'm truly grateful that we were served a hot, delicious feast at ten-thirty at night by a wonderfully friendly and attentive waiter that we had all to ourselves for as long as we wished to linger. Plus we got to lounge like sultans in the magic carpet tower after dinner anyway!

Ultimately, I can't recommend this place highly enough. I'm a travel agent, and a very discerning guest when it comes to design and service, and Riad AnaYela was truly spellbinding in every way. The décor is luxe and earthy at the same time, full of both character and refinement, and it's hard to get both. The courtyard was completely sublime with white arches surrounding a cool blue plunge pool, white leather berber chairs, and mysterious ambient soundscapes playing quietly around the clock.

Breakfast was absolutely delightful. It's a sumptuous and splendid spread of yogurt, granola, fruit, pastries, bread, jams, juice, coffee, and tea, and it'll be waiting for you with a warm, welcoming smile whether you get up at six in the morning or at one in the afternoon. Value is a subjective thing, and I feel like I got plenty of it here. If you want an outsized and vaguely Moroccan-looking room in the swank part of the medina, and you're willing to sacrifice some of the romance, you can get loads more space for this kind of money, but AnaYela is truly one-of-a-kind, with a soul and a story, and the sort of immaculate attention to detail (in both design and service) that's not easy to come by, and that's what I look for in an unforgettable place to stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to AnaYela? Share your experiences!