“A Maroccan fairytale with Western comfort: the best riad in town!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of AnaYela

Save Saved
You added AnaYela to your Saves list
AnaYela
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Derb Zerwl No 28, Marrakech 4000, Morocco   |
Ranked #137 of 460 hotels in Marrakech
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“A Maroccan fairytale with Western comfort: the best riad in town!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

We stayed in Anayela for two nights in june and were in awe of the breathtakingly beautiful riad. If you have always had some fantasy about Marrakech being a place out of 1001 nights, you'll see your dream come to life here. The riad is relatively small with 5 rooms, which secures you of some peace and quiet and very attentive and personal service. The place is an oasis after a day in the busy city: once the door closes behind you, the only thing you hear is the sound of the swallows and singbirds.
The rooms are stunning: very Marroccan with beautiful bed, bath in the room, arabic lights and tadelakt walls. When we were there, it was extremely hot (> 45* C), so the airco was very welcome. The beds were very comfortable and the babouches that we got when arriving, were used frequently.

But I think, besides the beauty of the place, the wonderful roof terrace, the welcome silence and the absolutely delicious (!) breakfast (with French cheeses, fresh fruit, bread and pancakes!) and dinner (try the tajine!), the thing that impressed me most was the staff. The staff was very friendly and helpful, polite and extremely attentive, and we were able to speak to some of them about Marrakech and living there, which gave a nice insight. A special thanks goes out to manager Daniel, who went above and beyond to make our stay as enjoyable as possible, helping us with all sorts of external enquiries and even coming along with us on a couple of trips. The fact that he was fluent in Dutch (besides French and German) made it even easier for us. Even when we stayed in other hotels for a couple of nights, he still helped us with several things.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no other riad to consider: Anayela is the one and only!

Room Tip: As far as I've seen, all the 5 rooms are really beautiful. I stayed on the first floor, in the r...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

58 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

Stayed here as a solo guest for one night. Was collected on time for the arranged airport transfer and on arriving was greeted by the Riad manager Daniel and given a small tour and talk about the history of the building.
During the afternoon I went out to explore the city and the riad provided me with a Moroccan mobile and took me part way into the city as it is very easy to get lost in the medina - which I did! On arriving back I had some trouble to a local man, and was being heckled (which is common in Morocco) and Daniel expertly managed this for me on my return which was greatly appreciated.
The food was very good for the evening meal, and as the only guest Daniel kept me company and we talked into the night. The room was comfortable and very well restored and I slept well. I had been upgraded to a suite at no extra cost as it was the low season.
Generally would recommend this riad, although it may be perhaps a little to pricey, but this is a minor point only.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011 via mobile

First of all, with my girlfriend we have to thank again the staff for an amazing service...
It was our first time in Marocco and the drive through the small street of the medina to stop in the "carpark" left us a bit wondering about where we had committed ourselves to stay for Valentine, however the Beaty of the place was evident and true to all the details on the website when we passed the wooden door at the end if a dark alley...
It's only after few hours that you appreciate the calm and peacefulness of the place!
We had a great time and received impeccable service!

• Stayed February 2011
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2010

Everything was perfect during my stay at the Anayela over five days in October 2010. The excellent behavior of the very kind staff, the service from airport shuttle to guided tours to the Atlas. We´ve always been supported honestly by the very polite people of the Anayela. The riad´s interior is not only designed with a lot of charme, its designed and furnished with a lot of heart. We felt very comfortable in our room on the first floor with a spacious and absolute clean bathroom. The always very obliging waiting staff served us a typical moroccan diner on the flying carpet, a romantic place on the roof top. We enjoyed our delicate meal and watched the sun set while the muezzin was calling - WHOW. The Anayela is situated in the north of the Medina, the authentic part of the old town, where you´ll not find the "normal tourist" but the real moroccan life, many artisan work shops and craftsmanship tradition. My stay in Marrakesh at the Anayela is one of those experiences, I´ll never forget.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

I chose AnaYela for the magic and the service, and both were delivered beautifully. I found the place on Tablet Hotels (always my first stop in the perpetual search for well-designed accommodations) and their review of the riad noted a staff "almost too lovely to be real," which I found to be a rather fitting description. The magic was quite breathtakingly present as well. The legend of Yela, the riad's namesake maiden, is hammered into the doors in silver and painted in artful Arabic calligraphy on the walls and the ceilings. The rooms are called chapters, there is a bedouin-style, tented "magic carpet tower" (where Yela received her first kiss and flew off above the rooftops of Marrakech with her lover), and the staff are all decked out in immaculate white and full of infallible graciousness. They really are almost too lovely to be real.

They have special drivers that are willing to navigate the impossibly narrow alleyways of the medina (which is not the done thing) in order to retrieve and redeposit you after taking you wherever you may wish to go. They give you a cellphone so that when (and I do mean when, not if) you become hopelessly lost in the labyrinth of the medina, you can call for help. They even moved the portable air conditioning unit from the office into our room after our own A/C went out after hours. Which reminds me, you really should get a room on the upper level, as the ground-floor rooms are not air conditioned at all.

The only slight glitch to do with the service was that they couldn't keep our dinner reservation in the magic carpet tower on the night of our arrival. I had arranged to have dinner waiting for us when we got in from the airport, and I had advised them that we expected to get there about 22:00. When we got in (via their own driver) at 22:30 our dinner was set up in another lovely area on the roof with a tent and a large table, and there was another couple in the magic carpet tower. We asked about it and were told that they couldn't hold the reservation because we were "so late." That was the only disappointment, and it really wasn't so bad. It just differed so tremendously from the rest of the service we received. If they'd been as spectacular about that as they were about everything else, they would have considered the standard wait time for customs (lengthier than anywhere else I've traveled) and calculated how long it usually takes for their driver to deliver guests coming in from the airport, and they would have known intuitively that we'd be half an hour later than I estimated! Really that's how en point they were when it came to every other service opportunity. So the bottom line is that I'm truly grateful that we were served a hot, delicious feast at ten-thirty at night by a wonderfully friendly and attentive waiter that we had all to ourselves for as long as we wished to linger. Plus we got to lounge like sultans in the magic carpet tower after dinner anyway!

Ultimately, I can't recommend this place highly enough. I'm a travel agent, and a very discerning guest when it comes to design and service, and Riad AnaYela was truly spellbinding in every way. The décor is luxe and earthy at the same time, full of both character and refinement, and it's hard to get both. The courtyard was completely sublime with white arches surrounding a cool blue plunge pool, white leather berber chairs, and mysterious ambient soundscapes playing quietly around the clock.

Breakfast was absolutely delightful. It's a sumptuous and splendid spread of yogurt, granola, fruit, pastries, bread, jams, juice, coffee, and tea, and it'll be waiting for you with a warm, welcoming smile whether you get up at six in the morning or at one in the afternoon. Value is a subjective thing, and I feel like I got plenty of it here. If you want an outsized and vaguely Moroccan-looking room in the swank part of the medina, and you're willing to sacrifice some of the romance, you can get loads more space for this kind of money, but AnaYela is truly one-of-a-kind, with a soul and a story, and the sort of immaculate attention to detail (in both design and service) that's not easy to come by, and that's what I look for in an unforgettable place to stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Anayela for our honeymoon. In summary, we enjoyed our stay, but in retrospect, we would likely stay elsewhere on our next trip to Marrakech. The high points: The hotel is beautiful and the story of the young woman who is the namesake of the hotel is enchanting and the theme is carried out very tastefully through the riad. It really is a nice quiet and serene oasis in the busy medina. The hotel is impeccably decorated and we found lots of great ideas that I would love to replicate in our home some day. The hotel staff was incredibly nice. I was sick for much of our stay there due to common food borne illness acquired while traveling and i am very glad that happened at a nice place that i didn't mind hanging out in for long stretches of the day!

The lower points: the hotel is very expensive and i'm not convinced we got the value for the price. We received great service at lower price point hotels during our time in Morocco. We had dinner at the hotel our first night on the roof top. the dinner service was beautiful and the food portions were large, however, the food was a little bland and I actually got sick for the first time the next day after eating at many a less elite and clean establishment throughout the country on our trip. Also, they were unable to accommodate different food choices for dinner. If they were making beef and you didn't eat beef, you had to go out to dinner because they only planned for one meal a day and you had to tell them you were eating there very early in the day, so there was not much room for change of plans. Also, the food at the hotel was very expensive. The staff was wonderful about bringing snacks for us (their snack included a large tray of breads, tasty cheeses, olives and sometimes a mixed salad), however, when we checked out we realized the "snack" cost 15 Euros a person. We read about other hotels that included a bit more in that price range (like free snacks and cocktails each day etc.). Also, we originally booked the honeymoon suite and we were switched to another suite upon arrival. The second suite was beautiful, but we originally booked the romantic suite because it was our honeymoon so that was a bit disappointing that that was done without much apology and there wasn't really anything extra done for our honeymoon as advertised. Also the staff was getting ready for the owners to visit and were very busy preparing for that, so that could have lead to less attentive service at some points than we expected when we booked the hotel. The hotel was supposed to help book a spa appointment and we didn't ever end up going nor did we hear from the hotel about whether we were able to get an appointment. They did book dinner reservations and a taxi for us one night and that was great. The services was spotty but when they executed things for the most part they did them well. The hotel does not sit in the most fancy area of the medina which we liked, but with the price tag equivalent or higher than riads in the more posh area in case that is something that you are factoring into your riad selection.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Mandalay, Myanmar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

The Anayela Hotel in the heart of the medina of Marrakesh is a totally special and surreal place: you leave behind you the hustle and bustle of medina life and surrender to the total peace and tranquility of this sensual oasis! The service is wonderfully attentive and kind! All in all a fantastic stay!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to AnaYela? Share your experiences!