“Lovely Riad in the madness of Marrakech” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Great deals for September
Ranked #45 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
liverpool
“Lovely Riad in the madness of Marrakech”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

Myself and my Husband stayed at Mur Akush for our first wedding anniversary. I chose this Riad after spending ALOT of time researching on the internet, I loved the ornate feel and that they had kept it true to Marrakech instead of going the hip modern theme you see all over the world and you actually could be staying anywhere.
I emailed the Riad and was answered immediately, Maria was very helpful and always very quick to answer my MANY questions. We were undecided about what room to have so we went for the Olive suite, this was our only disappointment. I wish Maria had advised us that we would be on the ground floor, just off the communal court yard area. We could hear everything in the Riad and at 8 in the morning even with ear plugs in I was woken by staff talking on mobiles and to each other right outside the room. It also feels a like its not private enough for a couple who are on a mini break(if you know what I mean) One day I read my book whilst waiting for my Husband in the courtyard and I could hear every sniff(we had colds) that my Husband made, so then I felt like we had to be quiet and was aware that everything could be heard! Also the pictures of the suite are amazing but like most hotels they don't always live up to whats on the website, don't get me wrong everything else from the court yard to the roof terrace was beautiful and I couldn't fault it and was exactly like the pictures but our suite had a couple of raw plugs in the wall, it needed a bit of TLC and it was very dark. I really wish we had just gone for the Hamman room, instead of the suite.
The staff were lovely and very helpful. The Riad cooked us a lovely meal as a treat for our anniversary on the first night which was lovely and tasty.
Some tips; arrange the collection from the airport as you wont find he Riad without help. You also need to take your own alcohol as the Riad don't sell it but are happy to serve you some you have bought. We spent a lot of time on the roof terrace at night once we got in, drinking wine and watching the world go by it was very peaceful compared to the hustle and bustle of Marrakech!
We also arranged for trip to see the waterfall through the Riad, well all I can say is I'm sure you wouldn't be insured for this!! The driver was great and took us to some lovely places on the way, once we arrived at the base of the waterfalls he then said he would wait their but we could pay for a guide if we wanted, which I didn't think we would have to pay for someone else to show us when we had paid for a trip. I only had ugg boots because nothing was mentioned about climbing a cliff face!!! We only saw 2 waterfalls because we thought we were going to slip a fall of a mountain!! Its not safe with only a guide grabbing your hand when you got into tricky situations, then you hope the way back down is easier but I slipped most of the way, both of our legs were like jelly and I was told by my Husband I was never aloud to book a trip ever again!! If you want to see the waterfalls take hiking gear!
Marrakech itself is madness, we got completely lost on the first day and everyone say its part of the experience but when you have been lost for hours and everyone is trying to stop you it gets stressful. Then after walking past the same boy about 5 times, he said he would take us to the Riad, he then took us down darkened alleys which was scary when there was graffiti saying F*** the English on the wall! Luckily he took us to the Riad but then him and another lad who had joined him started shouting at us saying more money more money when we had give them around £8 for 5 mins help. You actually cant wait to just lock the door on the room and hide!
We went to a lovely restaurant called Maison Arabe which was really nice but when we got visa bill was £130 for 2 but it was very nice and well worth a visit. We also went to Comptoir Darna but I thought was over priced, service was shocking and the food wasn't great.
Maria also recommended a spa and it was lovely les bains delalhambra, very romantic only criticism would be cleanliness but not sure that was just in my head after reading a review mentioning that. It was great value for money and the massage and the romantic bath was lovely, just what we needed after climbing a mountain!!

Overall we enjoyed Marrakech but you do feel you need a break after your break! The Riad is lovely and would recommend it, the staff are very helpful, breakfast was lovely, its a beautiful place, with lovely features and its only a short 10 min walk to the square.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this review, January 29, 2011
Hello Toni!
Thank you for your review and your kind words about our house and our service. I am glad that, at least overall, you enjoyed your stay with us, liked the meal that we have prepared for you and made the most of the great weather at our terrace!

We try really hard to ensure that our guests have a faultless stay with us and try to make sure that any concerns or issues are immediately addressed. Unfortunately, you did not mention any of this while you were at the riad, and I am sorry I had to hear about this in your review. One of our great strengths is that we respond to requests and problems immediately and we could have moved you to our other suite which was available at the time or indeed Room Hammam.... I feel that I have to mention at this stage that the photos at our website are not misleading. We went in great pains to ensure that we represented our rooms as realistically as possible, without tricks or fancy lenses. Photos of this particular room (Suite D'Olive) can been seen in here, in tripadvisor, taken by other guests who incidentally, loved this room, and these photos are exactly as the ones at the website. The location of the room is also clearly mentioned in our website, it is not a secret. This is a very romantic room, with the bed chamber hidden away by the original thick walls of the house, and a separate seating area. One final word about the "raw plugs" I can assure you that this is not correct. I think that you are referring to the tv aerial and the telephone sockets which are not in use at the moment at that room.

I would like to thank you for staying with us, I really enjoyed our discussions and I hope that you have great memories of Marrakech and your stay in our riad. Thank you also for your good comments on this review, I really appreciate them.
Maria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here for 3 nights in November 2010. We really loved it. The owner Maria was very helpful in the booking process and helped to accommodate us despite us not booking till 6 days before our arrival. We did spend one night in the sister Riad Al Idrisi (which I have reviewed separately). In the morning after we had breakfasted we left Al Idrisi and our bags were brought for us over the Mur Akush. Throughout we were really well looked after by Mohammed (manager, excellent English and very helpful) and Hussain (cook, all round helpful person!). Every morning we were able to request the time and location of our breakfast, we usually had it on the roof terrace. Very happy with the quality of the food. usually at breakfast their was boiled eggs, coffee, tea, pastries or bread, fruits. We had dinner there one as well and it was probably the best food we had while in Morrocco! Really lovely Harira soup and lamb tagine with a complementary bottle of (Morrocan) red.
We found it really well located. The main square Jemaa-el-Fna is a straight 15 minute walk away. In the other direction you can get to the Souks or the main bus station in about 10 minutes.Relatively speaking, it is very easy to find. Just one lane off a main road and right next to a big mosque which serves as a decent landmark.
Our room was big with a couch, large bed, safe, huge bathroom with nice shower. I think it was called Yasmine. Nicely decorated and a real oasis from the madness that is Marrakesh.
Happy to recommend this lovely lovely establishment. The roof terrace is so beautiful (I may be a little bias as we got engaged up there!) Enjoy everyone.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

this riad is tucked away in the medina but is perfect has a lovely open fire in winter too.
Simple and cost effective. A great choice

Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

We were spoilt by our previous night at Riad Cinnamon, but the Mur Akush is obviously an up-and-coming riad.

Not the easiest place to find (but where is in Marrakech?!) we were given a very warm welcome. The immediate surroundings aren't quite as friendly as other areas, but it's in a great location to get to all the major sights - the Jemaa-el-Fna and the old and new towns. There's easy on-street parking nearby (we paid 30 Dh for an overnight).

Room and bathroom were good, and the breakfast we had on the terrace was probably the best we had in the whole of our time in Morocco. Certainly one I'd recommend to anyone

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

We were welcomed with mint tea and cakes by the very friendly staff. Rooms are all decorated beautifully, though as they all open into the central patio area with no external windows, they can be a little dark. There are plenty of places to sit and relax in the various patios and terraces, and they will serve you breakfast wherever you like. Lots of beautiful pieces of craft-work adorn the place. They will cook dinner also if reserved, and we found that the meals in the restaurants paled in comparison to lovely Zora's home cooking. Try her lovely tagines or lamb tangier! The staff were always friendly and always went that extra mile (including driving to the supermarket to find us some wine!) Great location, convenient for just about everything. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this review, December 23, 2010
Thank you for your kind words Nick! I am so glad that you liked the lamp tangia! Zohra prepares them herself and they are very special indeed!! Take care and have a lovely Christmas!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2010 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights & were upgraded to a bigger room (hammam) - it's was very comfortable.

The breakfasts were basic but plentiful & could be requested at any time. Tea & coffee & orange juice was always available.

Location ~ 10 mins walk to jema el fna - very straight forward. Nice views from rooftop terrace.

Maria the owner was very approachable and easy to contact despite being in the uk.

Local staff - led by rashid were all very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2010
Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2010

We stayed in the Riad Mur Akush for four nights for a long weekend to celebrate my husband's birthday.
The management kindly arranged to book us a taxi and have a hot meal prepared for us, on our arrival (at an additional cost but well worth it). We were greeted by a warn welcome and had our meal in the courtyard of the riad.
The breakfasts were wonderful.On our last morning (05/12/10) we had our breakfast on the roof terrace.
Fantastic riad and staff- Thank you very much for making our stay so memorable.
** This riad is situated close to a mosque, we were forewarned and took earplugs-**

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Mur Akush? Share your experiences!