“Mixed feelings...” 4 of 5 stars

Last minute October!
Ranked #60 of 460 Hotels in Marrakech
“Mixed feelings...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Before I start I think my review is slightly tainted by circumstances beyond everyone's control. When booking our 1 night stay I had some contact with Maria, who was really helpful and was eager to ensure we had a good stay, offering pick ups and dinner on our arrival and her cheerful emails made us look forward to our time there.
Unfortunately we had to cut some sightseeing from our itinerary due to my partner falling ill the night before so we arrived at the Riad earlier than the staff had expected us. We were met by a very sweet lady (one of the cooks) who was very kind and served us tea and biscuits, but she did not speak English and our French is very poor, so our initial contact was a little stilted. She showed us to our room, which was very nice. From that point on I was essentially a lone guest as my partner slept off his illness. I was brought coffee on the roof terrace, which is really lovely with large swing chairs and loungers.
As a lone guest I found the Riad lacking, there was no one around to chat to, and although there are books in the lounge area they are mainly reference. I realise that generally you find your entertainment outside the riad walls and this is where you relax after a busy day but many people do travel alone and have down time, and as one albeit for a brief time the lack of company and anything to do spoilt the atmosphere for me. As I said at the start much of this was not the fault of the staff or the loveliness of the riad itself, just circumstances.
We also booked a car to the airport the following day which was on time and very efficient.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello!
Thank you for your review and your kind words about Riad Mur Akush. I was very sorry to hear that your partner was not well when you arrived. This always upsets the plans on a holiday and I really feel for you.
Riad Mur Akush has a 24 hour check in policy so I am glad that you were checked in and taken care of when you arrived and I am sorry that our maid did not speak very good English, she is currently learning, but what she lacks in skills, she makes up in kindness and enthusiasm. Rachid, who normally welcomes our guests, was out running some errands when you arrived, so you did not get to meet him till later on, which I hope was OK as his English is very good.
I hope that you and your husband felt well taken care of during the 1 day that you stayed with us, the terrace is indeed a lovely space, ideal for relaxing.
The riad offers a small library with books, both reference and literature books, as well as some magazines. We also have a small selection of games and the lounge area has a TV and a DVD player with plenty of DVDs as well as satellite TV.
These are all very useful to have and our guests seem to make the most of them when they are here (both lone travellers and couples, as well as families), but it sounds like what you really needed, was someone to have a chat to and unfortunately, Rachid was not around at the time you arrived, for which I am very sorry. He is a very pleasant young man who enjoys talking to our guests, and he would have loved to spend some time with you, if the timings were a little different.
I hope that your husband is now well and you are remembering your visit to Morocco with a smile.
Regards,
Maria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This was my third visit to this Riad and the welcome and service throughout were first class. Nothing was too much trouble right from booking direct with Maria through to service at Breakfast, tea/coffee when we were in need and the excellent dinner we enjoyed one night.
There are inevitable noises ( guests in Courtyard, the calls to prayer and local wedding party until 4.30am!) but that is all part of being in authentic Marrakech and a place that is friendly and relaxed. Good value for money.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello!
It is always fantastic to hear from you and thank you so much for your 5 star review!
Your reviews are very special, as you are one of the most visited guests and we thank you so much for returning to stay with us year after year.
The 5 star reviews mean so much to us and are motivating us and encouraging us to keep up the good work and improve it. We love taking care of our guests and I hope that we will see you again soon.
All the best, Maria
florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Lovely riad!!

It is a calm oasis, and a welcome retreat from the chaos of the city. Clean and comfortable.

We had dinner there one night - very delicious and plenty of food.

Location was great. Easy to walk to the main square and market. It's right next to a main mosque, which makes it easier to navigate to at the end of the day.

The call to prayer does go off in the middle of the night, but it wasn't terribly loud and I just went right back to sleep if I heard it.

The service was wonderful. They helped arrange transportation to/from the airport, and also arranged a great guide to take us around one day. So incredibly helpful and friendly, made it feel like home.

Only downside was the bathroom had a slight sewer smell (I don't think there is any way to avoid it, as I smelled the same thing around the city, even in very nice restaurants). Though the riad had an exceptional air freshener in the bathroom that helped tremendously.

Would happily stay here again!!!!

Stayed September 2014
MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you for your kind review, it is wonderful to hear that you had a good stay with us!
I am glad that you enjoyed dinner and that you found the location very handy. Thank you also for your kind words about the level of service that we provide, everyone tries really hard to ensure that our guests have a magical stay, so it is good to hear that we got it right!
With regards to the smell in the bathroom, it does smell sometimes, it has a lot to do with the rain and the wind apparently, but as you noted, it has to do with the medina waste pipe system and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it at the riad, apart from making sure that the bathroom is spotlessly clean and aired. Even the really expensive and super luxurious riads have this issue. Luckily we do not have this problem too often and I am sorry that you were here in one of the "smelly days".
Take care, Maria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here in April 2014 after travelling around Morocco for 10 days. Unfortunately this review is a little late, but we enjoyed our stay here so much we have booked to stay again next month!
The Riad is in a great location, really close to the Djeema el Fnaa and easy to navigate there and back again. Rooms were spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated.
The staff hospitality was extremely warm and welcoming and we look forward to our return trip in November. (We also look forward to the delicious breakfasts)!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello Cassia!
It is lovely to get your 5 star review, this means so much for us all and keeps us trying even more!
I am so glad that you had a good stay with us in April and we look forward to seeing you again in November. Your return is the best accolade for us!
Take care!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We had very comfortable stay at this riad. We could see very beautiful sunrise from their terras and the breakfast having there was nice. I was happy as they presented birthday cake for my friend. How nice their hospitality was ! We canceled 1 night as we couldn't back to Marrakech from dessert due to heavy rain. It was very sorry and I'd like to stay again when I visit Marrakech next time !!

快適なリアドでした。屋上のテラスからみる朝焼けがとてもキレイだったのでオススメです。屋上で食べる朝食もよかったですし、オレンジジュースがとても美味しかったです。友人が誕生日なのでケーキをお願いしたら、無料でプレゼントしてくれました。砂漠から戻ってこれず、1泊キャンセルしてしまったので、また今度はゆっくり泊まりたいです。

Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Hello Chizu.
It is lovely to get your review and I am glad that you had a great time with us. We were very happy to offer you the complimentary birthday cake for your friend and I hope that this made her birthday trip even more special. You were a lovely group of friends and I hope that you will visit us again soon. Regards, Maria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed in this riad for 1 night on a 10 day stay in Morocco.

The initial welcome was not what we had become accustomed to after staying in a different riad a few days before. Although not rude, the attention to detail was lacking. We had agreed to meet the owner on the main road but in the end had to find our own way down the small alleys of Marrakech.

The main courtyard although not spectacular is pleasant enough and a calm retreat from the hustle of the city.

The room (we stayed in the Olive suite) was nicely furnished in dark wood and blue colours with plenty of room for 2 adults and a child. Although being right next to a Mosque it was lovely and quiet and we had an amazing nights sleep.

Breakfast was tasty and by the morning the service had improved a lot (although I did not appreciate the smoking in the communal area during our breakfast).

In summary a nice place to stay but after seeing 3 different riads in Marrakech this one came a distant 3rd place.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with family
MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your review, it is extremely useful to hear what our guests think of us and how their experience was.
I was very sorry to hear that your one night in Riad Mur Akush was not to the expected standard and I apologise for this.
We pride ourselves for excellent service and it seems that we have let you and ourselves down that day.

Your arrival to the riad did not go as planned, but please be assured that this was NOT because we did not meet you at the agreed time.
As I explained to you on my email, it had everything to do with your driver mixing things up and giving the wrong details to Rachid. Rachid did his best to ensure that he was there when you arrived, but that driver let us all down. Rachid waited for you in vain for quite some time and finally missed you, what a shame...

I note your comments about the smoking, and I agree with you. It is not pleasant and should not have happened. I have taken measures to ensure it does not happen again.

On a positive note, I am really glad that you liked our breakfasts. Our cook prepares them on the premises and they are all delicious and fresh! I am also glad that you loved the riad in general and especially your room, Suite D'Olive is a lovely room with plenty of space and it offers great value.
We take all the reviews very personally, and I am gutted that we did not succeed in offering you the wonderful experience that you should expect from Riad Mur Akush.
I hope that if you will visit us again in the future, we will show you what we are all about: great atmosphere, amazing service with a smile and fantastic value.
Take care,
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2014

Easy to say my favourite place I have ever stayed in. The people were so hospitable from beginning to end. We were greeted instantly by hot Moroccan tea and biscuits. We were then showed to our gorgeous room - four poster bed and a bathroom with detail to die for. The balcony and courtyard were gorgeous as well as the rooftop garden/patio, with tables and chairs, and sun chairs for a lazy afternoon. It's a very central location and a short walk from both the souks and the main square. Would definitely go back here.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this review, September 15, 2014
Thank you so much for your comments and wonderful feedback about your stay in Riad Mur Akush. I am so happy that you had a good stay and you enjoyed your room, the terrace and everything else, this means a lot! I am looking forward to welcoming you back to our riad in the future. Take care and thank you once again.
On behalf of the team here in Mur Akush,
Maria

Been to Riad Mur Akush? Share your experiences!