“Simply the best..........” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #46 of 460 hotels in Marrakech
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Simply the best..........”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Now I do not know if the rest of that line in the song is true..."better than all the rest".... because I have not stayed in any other Riads in Marrakech but I cannot imagine a better experience than the one my wife and I have just enjoyed. It was indeed simply the best from the moment we were collected from the airport until our driver arrived to take us back to the airport. Five lovely nights in a beautiful house, an oasis of peace in the midst of the noise and frantic pace that is Marrakech, wonderful evening meals on the two nights we stayed in, excellent breakfasts, mint tea to enjoy and aid digestion (much needed with all that wonderful food), a sumptuous room (Grand Suite Amel), and even the early morning call to prayer from the local mosque could not possibly spoil our enjoyment - in fact towards the end of our stay it became a rich part of being there. Above all though the most praise must be of the wonderful staff who made us so welcome, looked after us so well, made us feel part of the family that is Mur Akush and for whom nothing was too much trouble. Our thanks go to Rachid and the rest of the team. Will we return? Without a doubt.

Room Tip: Our suite on the 2nd floor was wonderful but the other rooms we saw looked very good as well.
MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you so much for such a lovely review. It brought a smile on my face reading it, thank you! I am so happy to hear that you had such a nice experience with us and myself, Rachid and everyone else thank you for your kind words. We would love to have you over again! Thank you once again, Maria

365 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Had a very enjoyable 4 days, at this lovely Riad. Staff were very good, meals on the roof terrace were a delight, with the views over the Medina and the Atlas mountains. Breakfast and Evening meal was good. Room was very good.

The Riad was in a very good position for exploring the Medina, but perhaps a bit to close to the Mosque, unless you do not mind the early morning calls.

Just one negative, this was the lack of hot water for showers, but this did not spoil an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Hello! Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us, it is much appreciated.
It is great to see that you had a good stay in Riad Mur Akus, you enjoyed breakfast and dinner and liked your room.
I do apologise for that morning that you had no hot water in the shower. We had a problem with the boiler that morning, but we acted quickly and made sure that it was all fixed by 11am with plenty of hot water after that.
I am terribly sorry that this happened during your stay as it has affected your experience with us and I hope that you will have great memories of your stay in our riad.
Maria
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from our first trip to Morocco, during which we also spent 3 beautiful days at this excellent Riad. We found it elegant, but not ostentatious, with very convenient location just 5 minutes' walk away from Marrakech's main square.
Our room was simply splendid. It is called Grand Suite Amel, located on the top floor of the building. But we’ve taken a peek also at some of the other rooms and they were equally beautiful.
We had breakfast every morning on the roof-top terrace, enjoying the warm weather and the beautiful "urban" view of old Marrakech.
Rachid, Mohammed and Zora (names’ spelling might not be exactly right…), the three staff working at the Riad, were certainly a bonus to our experience, helping us with all our questions and really making us feel very welcome, from the moment we were met at the airport till the moment we actually bumped into Mohammed upon our departure from Marrakech, 4 days after having left the Riad (small world!).
We have enjoyed a cooking class with Zora, which also comprised some shopping at the market in the morning. It is an experience that we would recommend to anyone coming to Marrakech.
Next door to the hotel there is also a Hammam spa centre, which we visited and were very happy about. Highly recommend it as well.
All in all, the Riad Mur Akush is a place we would highly recommend to anyone interested in an elegant, peaceful and friendly accommodation in Marrakech and a Riad we would certainly return to, should we visit again the beautiful city of Marrakech.
Emmanuel + Lena

Room Tip: Contact direct Maria, the owner, via their website
MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely and detailed review, just what our potential guests are looking for! I am glad that you had a great stay with us and you liked the rooms. Your suite, Suite Amel is indeed splendid and I am glad that you also enjoyed Zohra's cooking class. She gave me a bright smile when I read your review to her :-) Mohamed and Rachid also send you their regards. Maria
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited Marrakech for the first time in October and this Riad was our first stop. It was brilliant to be able to converse with Maria, the owner, on email weeks before our arrival and she was extremely helpful. She recommend dinner in the Riad on our first night as they have a chef that can do this. The tagine we were given was the best one we had in Morocco by far! It was absolutely delicious.

The rooms are a lovely size and beautifully decorated. This is a traditional Riad which I would highly recommend as you get the full effect of the Moroccan style of living. It is close enough to the main square so you can walk to all the souks/sites etc yet it is far enough away that you appreciate a quieter, calmer side of Marrakech. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly. They recommended great places to visit and eat during our stay including La Maison de Arabe (just next door) which was a wonderful place to have dinner.

The early morning mosque wake-up in the Riad was a bit of a shock on the first night but easy to get used to and it is all part of the experience. We even considered returning to Riad Mur Akush half way through our stay in the Atlas Mountains as we enjoyed it so much.
A lovely tranquil place with traditional interiors and the perfect location.

MimiaTata, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Hello! Thank you for your lovely review. It was great having you at the riad and I am glad that you ad such a good time with us. Thank you once again and I hope to meet you on a follow on visit. Maria
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Visiting Marrakech and want to stay in the medina? I highly recommend staying in this haven of tranquillity. Maria answered a hundred and one questions from me via email before we even got to Morocco, which helped me a lot as I was planning our trip. The wonderful team couldn't have made us feel more welcome, greeting us with mint tea and fresh pastries and offering friendly advice and tea throughout our stay.
The whole riad was spotless, and full of interesting artefacts. Our bedroom was lovely- tastefully decorated and comfortable (the air conditioning really helped!), and the communal rooms and roof terrace a joy to wander around and relax in.
Allow yourself time for a leisurely (generous) breakfast on the terrace.
We ate dinner in the riad one night; the tagines were superb and the surroundings a delight- would definitely recommend this is you stay here.
The only thing to be aware of: the 4.30am call to prayer does take a little bit of getting used to! But it didn't much detract from our enjoyment of our stay- just something to be aware of.
It's in a great central location too- no more than 10 minutes walk from the main square. No matter how bustling and noisy it was outside, the riad really was a tranquil oasis in which to escape.
I highly recommend this little gem- and it would be my first choice if we return to the city.

MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Hello! Thank you for taking the time to leave your valuable review, it is much appreciated. I am so pleased that you had a good stay with us and we hope to see you again in the future. Take care, Maria
Uxbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

When planning our stay in Marrakech we decided upon staying in a Riad within the Medina and chose the Riad Mur Akush from the ratings it had received on trip advisor. It was one of the best decisions of the trip and I have to fully agree with "Tom T" in describing it as a "beautiful oasis". The Medina is a busy and noisy place full of “interesting” smells and sounds and both my partner and I glanced apprehensively at each other when the taxi pulled up in a narrow busy street at the end of the journey from the airport (taxi organised by the Riad on booking). However, a short walk away from the road found us at the Riad and for all we knew, we were a million miles away from a bustling town centre. The service we received was first class and could not be faulted, to say the staff (and I hate using the word “staff” in connection with Mur Akush) were attentive and willing to please is an understatement, nothing was too difficult or problematic for them. The room surpassed our expectations, clean and comfortable and a pleasure to return to for a shower and sit down at the end of a hot exhausting day. We actually decided upon spending a bit of time in the Riad as part of the holiday experience as it was such a special place, whether it was on the rooftop terrace taking in the sun or sitting in the fantastic lounge area admiring the décor and enjoying its coolness whilst sipping a glass of the ubiquitous mint tea. The Riad looks to treat its guests as part of an extended family and in this it succeeds admirably, we felt comfortable just pottering around and making ourselves at home. We decided on having one of our main meals in the Riad and I would certainly recommend it as part of the Riad experience. The only reason I gave a 4. for sleep quality is that we had to get used to the 04:30am call to prayer every morning, however, anyone who chooses to stay in the Medina has to get used to this and speaking to other holiday makers from other Riads indicated that this was not something peculiar to Mur Akush – no different to some church bells I know, so please do not let this put you off, just accept it as part of the cultural experience. I would certainly recommend Riad Mur Akush to anyone travelling to Marrakech, if they could find better, I would be more than a little surprised.

MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, it is much appreciated!
I am so glad that you made yourself at home and enjoyed the atmosphere and the tranquility of our house and had a lovely stay with us, it really means a lot. Thank you, Maria
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Our friend's children suggested we book a Riad when we decided to spend a few days in Marrakech and we are glad they did. Located at the northern end if the Medina, Riad Mur Kesh is reasonably handy to the main square of Marrakech, the souks and many of the sights. We booked a transfer from the airport when we booked our flight from Seville with Ryanair and our host met us in the street. We would never have fond the place otherwise!
The Riad is three floors with two or three rooms per floor built around a central courtyard which acts as a suiting and breakfast room and is adjoined by a library/ lounge shared by the guests. Our room on the second floor had a large bed, coffee table and two comfortable chairs and an outdoor suite on the adjoining terrace which we shared with the other room in our floor.
The ensure bathroom had shower & toilet.
The Riad has been recently renovated in Moroccan style with lovely moulded and painted cornices, brass light fittings inlaid mirrors and wooden furniture.
The staff are very friendly and helpful. We arrived very early and were greeted with apologies that the room was not yet available, and mint tea and sweets as compensation!
Fortified, we were ready to take in Marrakech whilst our room was being prepared. As our friends arrived quite late that night the Riad provided a simple but delicious meal for the four of us that night.
I would have no hesitation in recommending Mur Kesh to any potential visitors to Marrakech!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review, it is much appreciated. I am so pleased that you had a good stay with us and you liked the house. We really enjoyed taking care of you all and we hope to see you again in a future visit. Take care, Maria

Been to Riad Mur Akush? Share your experiences!