“Oasis of calm in the medina” 5 of 5 stars

Announcement
Last minute bookings!
Ranked #46 of 460 hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Oasis of calm in the medina”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We had 4 nights there and are extremely satisfied. Clean and spacious rooms, very friendly, helpful and discrete staff, quiet surroundings, only 10min walk from the Square, 5 from the top of the main Souk, 5-10 from walls to get to the Nouvelle-Ville. Different pastrie or pancake every morning, very generous on the food portion. Possibility to have a lovely relaxed dinner on the roof terrace. We wish we had another night there at the end of our Morocco trip. We were in Suite Yassine room.

365 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We spent one week in Riad Mur Akush to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and it couldn't have been better. Just as other people have said, it really is an oasis of calm to retreat to after the hustle and bustle of Marrakech. Maria and her staff were all very friendly and helpful. Halfway through the week we were upgraded to a four poster suite due to a cancellation (at no extra cost). Whilst the double room we had at first was lovely (room Salam), the suite was even better (Suite Hammam). The toiletries are gorgeous and were replenished each day. Breakfast could be taken at any time at all, either in your room, in the courtyard or on the sun terrace which consisted of freshly squeezed orange juice, pastries, pancakes or omelette, or sometimes hard boiled eggs, and fresh bread and homemade jams, coffee and tea. All delicious. We ate in the riad on the evening of our anniversary (on the sun terrace) and had a lovely mixed salad to start - the aubergine salad was delicious - followed by lamb tagine, and fresh melon and a chocolate and cardamom dessert to finish. Would definitely recommend. All in all a fantastic riad in a good location about 10 minutes walk from the square.

Room Tip: Think all the rooms are good. Ours was on the first floor.
MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review. It was lovely meeting you and I am so pleased that you both had a good time in Marrakech and our riad. Take care, Maria
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed here with my girlfriend as an xmas present for her.
The room was amazing and the service was even better, Could not find any fault in our experience at Riad Mur Arkush. Would advise on getting the taxi service to the Riad as it would be hard to find. Location is perfectly placed between old & new marrakech.

Staff were incredible, really friendly and will help you with absolutely anything.
Would stay here again fantastic bombastic.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Hello! What a lovely review, thank you so much for taking the time to write about us, it is much appreciated. All the best from everyone and we hope to see you again in the future. Maria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

When you have come to love all the little things that were once very foreign and strange to you upon arrival. After nine amazing nights in Marrakech, at Riad Mur Akush, it's time to pack my bags and make my way to the medieval city of Fes. There's so much that I could say about Marrakech and its fascinating people, but I will leave that for you folks to discover on you own. Riad Mur Akush has served as my oasis of tranquility and comfort right in the middle of the old medina. It is located in an area that is tourist friendly, while retaining so much of its authentic day to day life- la vie quotidienne. The rooms are beautifully decorated with all the modern comforts we have come to expect and rely on WHILE keeping true to all things Moroccan. What I mean to say is that you have a great shower with piping hot water (if you want) that looks like it was built from a different era and with a unique artistry- incredibly charming. I stayed for 7 nights in Suite Amel, and it was lovely. There's a beautiful flat screen TV (that I never used) with an iPod deck to listen to your favorite music. The lounge area is spacious and gets a really nice amount of afternoon sun. I didn't use the fireplace, but I imagine that during the colder months it must be quite nice to have it at one's disposal. The sleeping area is beautiful. I enjoyed so much sleeping underneath the canopy. The mirror that is placed in the sleeping area is a piece of artwork. My last two nights were spent in the Yassine Suite, one floor down. It is beautifully adorned. The bathroom is quite lovely and very spacious. I found myself curling up on the sofa to take a midday nap before dinner on my last evening in Marrakech, and it was nice to have the windows open to hear the birds chirp and sing their song... I also had a chance to view two other rooms, Meli and Suite Olive. Both were really beautiful and charming in different ways. Each room in the riad has its own character, and I must say that the photos posted do not really do any of them justice. You have to walk in into the room and get a feel for it, yourself. The common areas in the riad get a lot of sun, and there is ample sitting space to accommodate those who want to take their meals there, or just have a cup of tea while chit chatting with staff and other guests. The lounge are and dining area are very welcoming and stocked with books and board games- everyone is welcome to use them... Now on to the personal touch of Mur Akush: the staff is the best part of the stay. Mohammad picked me up at the airport (my flight was delayed, unfortunately) and delivered me to the doorstep of the riad. I was ushered through the door and into the heart of the riad by Rachid, who has a very warm smile and twinkling eyes. Mint tea and pastries were served, and I immediately fell in love with the riad, and was curious about my hosts. Being a single woman traveling alone is an adventure itself, and probably requires more assistance in some aspects: each person at the riad was kind enough to assist me and give me helpful tips and advice- I talked Rachid's ear off each evening, and he was gracious enough to let me tag along when he went out to do shopping or other errands. I must have been such a pest, as I asked him so many questions and even asked to earn how to make tea. (Thank you, Rachid, for letting me into kitchen!) One night, as he was about to leave the riad to get his own dinner, I asked if I could tag along to take a stroll late at night- I was able to see things that I would have never seen on my own. He also went to the train station to get my train ticket to Fes on my behalf. I was fortunate enough to meet Maria and she went above and beyond to make sure that I felt safe and at home. Maria was so kind to me and told me that if I wanted, she and I could venture out together and do some shopping. I am so grateful for having had the company of both Maria and Rachid. Truly. One evening, the three of us had an impromptu dinner- each contributing to the dinner in our own way- very funny... Zorah, who prepares the meals, was also very attentive and kind. As I was on vacation, I slept in as late as I could and probably threw off her daily maintenance schedule. But, she was always telling me that it was ok. On a particular day, she could tell that I was a bit frazzled, and brought me a light lunch that she took the initiative to prepare- she said that she was fretting over me as she would her kids. It made me feel warm inside... What more can I say? Mur Akush is really beautiful. Centrally located. Great value. The staff is very accommodating and enthusiastic. I do encourage having dinner at the riad. The food is amazing. I should have stayed in for dinner more, instead of eating around the corner... So, to sum it all up: after 9 consecutive nights here, I leave Riad Mur Akush with a smile on my face and certain warm feeling inside for those who have made a real effort to take care of me and let me take a peek into their world here in Marrakech. Thank you all.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
It is so gratifying to read your fantastic review! We loved taking care of you and we have some wonderful memories of your stay with us. The "shared" dinner was very special with lots of laughs and good times and your account of your stay made me smile. I hope that you had a wonderful time in Fez, I hope to hear all about it and to maybe see you again in the future. Take care of yourself and be in touch. Maria
Various Bases, Antarctica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Preface: We like staying at different places and experiencing different accommodations, so don’t let the fact that we stay only one night in some awesome Riads cloud the review.

Safety: Coming from an Emergency Medical Services backgound, it is my impression that most Riads (by definiton) are fire traps. There is usually only one staircase and one way in/out, so keep this in mind when you bed down for the night! Consider and explore rooftop escape and teach your kids about it. Arrange for a meeting place such as a closeby Mosque...easy to find due to the tower.

Speaking of Mosques: I have no tolerance for complaints that seem to surface in too many Riad-reviews about „getting woken up by the call to prayer; it was very loud; we couldn’t sleep...“ You’re a guest in an Islamic country – if you don’t like that, why did you go there??

Riad Mur Akush

Made reservations via eMail – prompt communication and answers to questions. Transportation is available and pre-arrangeable from the train station as well as the airport. Unless you’ve been to Marrakech before and know how to bargain with the taxi drivers, I recommend you take Mur Akush up on the offer. Perhaps slightly more expensive but way less hassle. And while taxis have a limit of three passengers (requiring two taxis – they don’t make exceptions), their transport can haul a family of four.

Mohamed and Rashid welcomed us like into their own home. 2 adults + 2 sub-teens; stayed in the Grand Suite Amel which was perfect for that purpose. Room looks just like the pictures, is nice and large, and separable from the „kid-sleep-area“ by doors. Opening a window toward the courtyard ensured a cool breeze through the night. Room charge was slightly reduced since we traveled with 2 kids and not adults as far as the extra people are concerned; thank you for that!

Walked to the Souks and the square; finding the way back is easy due to the Doukkala-Mosque being next door with its recognizable tower.

Accepted the offer of dinner; an excellent Tagine by Zola who was very sweet and genuine, and didn’t mind us watching and asking questions throughout the process. Wine was made available on request; they actually went out and got a bottle for us! (Moroccan red is highly recommendable).

Breakfast on rooftop. Great place to hang out for sunset and sunrise. Food was good and plentiful; whatever we ran out of (tea, coffee, hot chocolate, OJ) was quickly and easily replenished.

Along with the other reviewers, I have nothing but good to say about this place and its people. It’s a bit more expensive that average, but not more so than you’d expect from an upper-class hotel and it certainly offers ten times the experience and probably ten times the peace!

Room Tip: The floor right below the terasse has the most privacy and open outdoor space/light.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for your very genuine and detailed review. The information you have shared will be very useful to our guests and it is so nice to see that you had a good stay with us.We hope to see you again in the future. Maria and the team!
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

With so many riads to choose from, I had a difficult time making a choice. However, I chose this riad for several reasons:

1. Attentive staff and very quick to reply to e-mails
2. Location
3. Atmosphere
4. Price

In all honesty, I am so happy I booked here. I really like this part of town near the mosque. It was quiet at night and had a family-feel to it. We saw some other riads, but this riad was so charming and quaint. I would recommend anyone to stay here and I would definitely stay again. (Maison Arabe is close by but it seemed way too commercial)

Tips:

-Go to the hamam on the side street close to the riad. Massages and service are great!
-Henna Cafe is great as well and it's for a good cause. You must eat here and it's close to the riad.

Room Tip: All were beautiful.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Hello! Thank you for your lovely review, I am so happy that you had a good stay with us and found the location and atmosphere as well and our staff to be excellent. We would love to have you over again! Maria
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

With only 1 'Terrible' posting for this Riad I booked with a good level of confidence. No disappointment at all! Maria could not have been more helpful with fast response Emails giving up to date information about the Riad & Marrakech. We had the Hammam suite which was lovely. Dont expect perfect paintwork or tiling as this place has a 'REAL' feel to it. Lighting might have been a little brighter but all in all I felt like I was staying in a genuine Moroccan dwelling. Breakfasts were varied and very good. Pastries, pancakes, fresh squeezed orange juice, bread, jam, yogurts, honey.......need I go on? The place is spotless! Air con that works was a bonus as outside temperatures were 100F!! If only it had a pool?? Having said that, more than likely most true Riads probably dont have them? The bed was extremely comfortable too with good pillows. Now one thing that does annoy me is the reports about the Mosque noise. You HAVE to embrace the religion here and I find it offensive that people complain. Thing is the actual Adhan (calling for prayer) only lasts for a couple of minutes at most. Yes, it can wake you up but I found I went back off to sleep quickly. Location wise I found it very good. There are a few ways to get to the Souks and Jemaa El Fna and at most only a 20 to 25 minute walk away. My wife and I also had a Hammam Spa just in the alley way leading to the Riad. We both thought it was very good and we were both together throughout scrubbing and washing and massage. Mohammad who picked us up at the airport and works at the Riad was fantastic. He recommended another Hammam but it was booked up. Book as soon as possible on arrival. Maria also organised a guide for us and we didn't regret doing this. Go for a beer in the afternoon (everywhere expensive) or try the most expensive rose wine at Le Marakkchi on the square. The red wine from the same vineyard was good too. Book the corner table for a meal for 8pm. We kept the table up to 10pm with no pressure. The food was pretty good and the 3 chaps playing live music were fab. Then on with the belly dancers!! Word of advice - be careful not to get lost in the Souks and always barter for the best prices. Try your best not to look lost too as you will be pounced on and led away to shops by these clever makeshift guides with ulterior motives!! Your cash!!

MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for your extensive and lovely review! It is much appreciated. I am glad to hear that you had a good stay with us and we really enjoyed taking care of you. All the best for now and we hope to see you again in the future. Maria

Been to Riad Mur Akush? Share your experiences!