“Lovely staff, beautiful rooms, but not quite perfect” 4 of 5 stars

Riad Mur Akush
Derb Zaouia 2 | Bab Doukkala, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #46 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Wellington, New Zealand
“Lovely staff, beautiful rooms, but not quite perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had a lovely stay - from the welcome on arrival, to the wonderful vegetarian friendly dinner on the roof, to the helpful but not pushy staff. The rooms were stunning and very well furnished.

There are only two, small, quibbles. The first is that the wifi doesn't reach all the rooms (even though the website says it does). The second is a common problem in riads and similar refurbished old houses, the plumbing is a bit smelly ... if we didn't keep all the plugs in the basins and shower the whole bathroom started to smell of sewage.

Room Tip: If you want wifi check that the room you're booking has wifi, then check it again when you arriv...

383 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Charming rashid and the gang will make you welcome in this beautiful hidden riad in the medina. Great room and location but you will be woken up early if you're on the ground floor as guests have breakfast in the courtyard.

• Stayed October 2012
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is the second time that I have visited Morocco and I was really keen on staying in a Riad as previously I had stayed in a hotel further away from the main square, and wanted to gain more of an authentic experience of Marrakech.

Myself and a friend stayed in the twin room Meli for 3 nights, the beds were comfortable, the decor stunning. I was also pleased that the bathroom had a door (researching on the internet I came across many rooms in other riads that didn't!). The room was clean, there was air conditioning. The roof terrace was a wonderful place to chill out with amazing views.
Breakfast was filling.
The riad is ideally located, it is not far from jemaa el fanaa-approximately a 10 minute walk away. My friend and I are two young women and we felt safe walking back to the riad at night. There are many places to eat nearby which are much cheaper than in the square. We were glad to have the mosque opposite the riad as this meant that we could pray with the locals often.
I was very pleased that the riad was easy to find. I remember finding the alley ways of Marrakech slightly intimidating on my last trip, however this was not the case for the Riad Mur Akush.

The staff were fantastic, and returning to the riad every day felt as though I were walking in to my own home. It was a very relaxing environment to be in.
Many thanks to Rachid, Mohammed and Zohra who were very welcoming and exceptionally hospitable. A special thank you to Rachid, who was very helpful in advising us and made fantastic Moroccan tea which is just what I needed to help me to recover from a cold before I headed off to climb Mount Toubkal.
I would definitely stay here again when I return to Morocco and recommend the riad highly. Many thanks also to Maria for all her advice regarding excursions etc and being very prompt with email replies.

Overall I had a fantastic trip and felt that this time round I got a real taste of authentic Marrakech.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Kendal, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Spent only one night here at the beginning of our trip but wished could stay longer. We had the Suite D'Olive which was absolutely stunning in decor, and the bed one of the most comfortable I've had on my travels. Only down side its on the ground floor. The staff are very friendly and the food is great - we had a meal after a fairly late arrival at around 8pm which was delicious. Food is always better in riads than restaurants. They picked us up from the airport, everthing ran smoothly. Location is great for exploring the souks and the central medina. Would defintely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have less privacy, but Suite D'Olive is well worth that small point.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed here end of Sept/beg October (last week) in the Grand Suite Amel. The room is beatiful and very spacious, it's on the top floor and looks out to the courtyard and first terrace. The four poster bed is amazing with lovely wood carving. Everyone is very welcoming and helpful and greet you with a smile every time they open the door. We had breakfast every morning in the courtyard but you can choose to have it on the roof terrace if you prefer. Breakfast was good. Pastrys, bread, a boiled egg one morning, yogurt, banana,honey, freshly squeezed orange juice, loads of coffee. The roof terrace is a delight. We always spend a few hours up there towards the end of the day, enjoying the sun and catching up with reading. It was very pleasant. We really enjoyed our stay here.

Room Tip: treat yourself and go for the Grand Suite Amel.
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Just returned home this week after staying at Riad Mur Akush. It's a great oasis in the middle of hectic Marrakech. Staff were really friendly and welcoming. The beds were very comfortable . It was excellent having breakfast brought up to the roof top in the morning . Lovely rooms and all in all a great place to stay in.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I really enjoyed this experience, a little different from what I am used to, but all in all it was really authentic. The decor of the place is really pleasing, in keeping with Moroccan tradition and the staff at the Riad, Rachid, Zohra and Mohammed were exemplary as hosts and we were made to feel very welcome. Nothing is too much trouble for any of them....... Thanks guys x x x
Marrakech itself is a mad chaotic place which I loved to be honest but it was good to get back to the peace and tranquillity at the end of a hot day and have Berber whisky.
The call to prayer did'nt bother me at all, I found it quite soothing and now have it as my ringtone.
For my holiday I wanted authentic and I got it with no disappointment :-)))

Room Tip: All rooms are authentic with en suite.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Mur Akush? Share your experiences!