“Great Riad” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #47 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Great Riad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2011

The staff at Riad Mur Akush were very helpful and friendly. Maria helped before we arrived by answering my many emails and giving useful tips. I have to disagree with a previous reviewer who complained about 'greed and rudeness'. Maria offered us the Riad-organised trips but always told us about the cheaper alternatives, for example local buses. We were also able to check out late (at about 6pm) at no extra cost.
We stayed in the Salem room which was bigger than it looks in the photo and a great place to relax after a day's sightseeing.
A daytrip to the mountains with Mohammed is unmissable, he is very funny and offered interesting insights in to Marrakech life. The Riad staff were very helpful in giving directions and making reservations for us. Breakfast on the roof terrace was the best meal of the day. I would recommend taking earplugs though, the call to prayer and a cockerel woke me up in the early hours every day.
Our visit to Marrakech coincided with the bombings so we were a bit shaken by those events. However, it wouldn't put me off visiting Marrakech again which generally felt like a safe place. I would definitely recommend this Riad and will stay here again on my next trip.

Room Tip: Salem room is more private-not on courtyard.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to leave this lovely review for us and I also thank you for your kind words... I am happy to hear that you had a good stay with us and that Mohamed took good care of you. I hope you will return. Maria

383 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

Myself and my friends have just returned from a fantastic trip to Marrakech which was very much enhanced by our stay at Mur Akush.
The Riad was a tranquil haven and we enjoyed our chilled out late afternoons relaxing on the roof terrace recharging our batteries before heading out again for our evening meal. We were lucky enough to stay in Grand Suite Amel which was delightful and the extremely delicious breakfasts were filling enough to keep you going for most of the day.
The staff could not have been more helpful and attentive and we really appreciated the assistance in finding a lovely nearby hammam (EasySpa - 5mins walk from the Riad).
We would not hesitate in staying at Mur Akush again if returning to Marrakech and will strongly recommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Your review put a smile on my face and made my wonderful team, very happy too! So good to hear that you had a great time in our house and I hope to hear from you again soon!!
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

The friendliness and attentiveness of the management and staff make this a nice place to stay for a short trip to Marrakesh. I would however agree with min8patel's review of April 11 regarding the photographs of the Riad!

Breakfast is plentiful as is the supply of mint tea and water on request. Having internet access was also very good as was room air conditioning and the Riad location being very close to the market and some good restaurants.

On the negative - the downstairs Suite d'olive opens directly onto the dining courtyard where breakfast is taken by most guests - which was a little disconcerting in the morning!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

Beautiful Riad, very friendly and accommodating staff, beautiful rooms and terraces to enjoy alfresco dining. I would certainly come back again and would recommend this riad to my family and friends. Mohammed and his team arranged a wonderful trip to the Atlas Mountains where we enjoyed a trek through the mountains and Berber villages.

Just one tip, The Islamic Call to Prayer is amazing but can disrupt your sleep so if like me you need 7+ hours a night I would recommend packing some sleeping tablets or ear plugs. However, the smell of fresh coffee and croissant soon had me up and ready for a delicious breakfast.

MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
It was so lovely to read your review, many thanks for your generous and kind comments. Mohamed is indeed a wonderful man and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your day trip to the mountains, this is indeed where I "escape" when I need a break. Thank you once again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011 via mobile

This gem of a place couldn't be better. The rooms were individually decorated I'm stunning style. The staff were wonderful and the breakfasts yummy. The roof terrace provided the perfect place to relax after the hectic souks. We were picked up at the airport and greeted with an excellent tagine dish. Our room was gorgeous. We enjoyed our stay so much we stayed there again after spending a few days in the desert.

• Stayed September 2010
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this comfortable and traditional Riad. Our room, miele, led on to a fabulours terrace where we had breakfast. There's also a roof terrace with views of Marrakech and the Atlas mountains on the horizon. It is exceptionally clean and we liked the little touches of complimentary bathroom potions, a seating area (so often in hotels you get 1 chair provided) spacious bathroom and a relaxing area on the ground floor where we had a delicious dinner. Said, Rashid and Mohammed could not have been more helpful and welcoming. Only one problem is the 3 am and 6 am call to prayer, so.............make sure you take your ear-plugs! The location is perfect, except for this, we loved the short walk back from the main sights, finally, have dinner at Maison Arabe, pricey but worth it.

Room Tip: Miele not biggest but light and nobody above
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

I was very much looking forward to travelling to Morocco and staying at Riad Mur Akush. Then of course the bombings happened less than 48 hours before our expected arrival. Having experienced something similar before, I did not feel comfortable travelling to Marrakesh so soon after the event and decided to cancel our holiday.

As such I contacted Maria at the Riad, requesting that in light of events she would not charge me for the cancellation. What followed was firstly a refusal to refund money (which every other Riad that i had booked in Morocco was happy to do) and then a tirade of rudeness. I was shocked to have received such treatment in the face of such a simple request to not be charged for the cancellation of the Riad following a terrorist attack.

I have never been treated the way this Riad treated me, and I will certainly not be hurrying to stay there in the future.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
MurAkush, Owner at Riad Mur Akush, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
I must say that I was expecting this review following a number of very threatening emails from this person (who I would like to clarify, never stayed in our Riad).
The follow up of the bombing was a difficult time for all of us in Marrakech and even more so for visitors to this country, which I totally understand and sympathise with.
This is why I offered full credit (100% of the cancellation fee!) to this guest on his rescheduled trip to Marrakech as he did mention that he was planning to return in the future.
My offer meant that he would be able to stay in our Riad for free, but what I received as a response, was a number of rude and aggressive emails, that were very uncomfortable to read...
I am not a greedy or insensitive person and this is why I have come up with the above arrangement, which I offer to guests who cancel in unusual circumstances.
In the past few years, I had the pleasure of welcoming thousands of guests in our Riad and I have never experienced anything like the rudeness and bullying that I did in this case...

Our past and future guests can see what we are really about, from the numerous other reviews that we receive, but it really saddens me that in this particular case, this person has seen things completely differently and has set out to cause great damage to us.

Been to Riad Mur Akush? Share your experiences!