“Maybe we arrived at a bad time” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Mont Gueliz
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10-12 Avenue Mohamed V | Gueliz, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #390 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
London
“Maybe we arrived at a bad time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I've left it for a while to write this review wonedering of we were unlucky with our timing - but it seems we are not the only victims

I don't like bad mouthing any place, but this hotel has so many failings that could be put right if someone cared to do so..

It's a nice building in a clean safe area - quite a way from the medina but walkable and quite close to the station.

We arrived after quite a long journey and were quite impressed by the outside and the reception - it looks a star or two above it's official rating.

But once we arrived at the reception desk, things went downhill - the male receptionist has to be the sourest least welcoming individual that has ever been allowed in contact with the travelling public.

I didn't find out his name - we didn't get onto first name terms or any terms for that matter

After he'd stared us down for a while, he reluctantly looked at his computer and accepted that we did have a reservation - then brightened up his day by telling us we were on floor 6 and the lift wasn't working. There did seem to be a few hotel people hanging round doing not very much, but no-one offered to help with the one big case we had with us.

I did think that maybe the desk clerk didn't like English people much, but over the next 2 days, I saw him in action with all sorts of people, nationalities and races, and he seems to treat them all with equal hostility.

It's puzzling - you meet many is friendly polite, helpful people in Marrakech- so why have a misanthrope as the public face of Mont Gueliz?

We staggered up the stairs and the room was OK - bit dark, bit shabby but seemed clean.

The next twist came the following morning - I looked out of the room window and found that i was within a few feet of a man holding a pneumatic drill who gave me a friendly smile and went into action - the adjoining building is being rebuilt.

Nothing to complain about at breakfast - nice buffet with French and North African dishes

Will be going back to Marrakech, but won't be visiting this place again - for the same price, you can get a room in one of the restored riads in the medina

Room Tip: Try another hotel - otherwise make sure they've fixed the lift
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

We stayed in Agadir for 3 days and when we arrived to Marrakech we could deffinetly feel the differentt! There were life in Marrakech! When we arrived to Hotel Mont Gueliz we were welcomed by the picolo(door opener) The rooms were really fine and nice. We had two rooms. One with a street view and a balcony (noisy if you open the balcony door) and one quite room with no street view. The bathroom were nice too... We desided that we didn't want breakfast from the hotel because there are many restaurant that have breakfast to about 20-30 morrocan dirham (2-3 euro) The hotel offer hammam (spa/massage/sauna) and they also have shuttle bus to the airport for some dirhams and also many half or all day activities like a trip to Valley d'Ourika or to the dessert and so on.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

50 Minute walk from the main square!!!

Good:
The double bed, room space and bathroom was decent (compared to the rest of marrakech). Was there for 4 nights and had the room cleaned twice. Convenience store across the road.

Bad:
Construction site next door, miserable miserable miserable staff, arguing locals in the lobby everyday, balcony doors didn't close properly (which mean't very little sleep due to how much people beep out there) and the only 3 stars about this place was the front door. Spent one night out and they locked my door card! wouldn't tell me why either. Wasn't pleased coming back that morning.

My advise is to get a place next to the main square, since thats where all the culture is.

Room Tip: Go somewhere closer to the sqaure
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

We only stayed one night at this hotel, the last night of our stay. Compared to another 3 star hotel we stayed in Marrakesh, this one had a nice room, it was clean and well located. We enjoy one late afternoon at the terrace by the pool and really have no complaints.
Breakfast was good (highlight to the croissants!) and staff was friendly.
The only downside we can mention is the construction works being done just next to the hotel and you could hear all the noise from the restaurant, and we can imagine that if your room is facing that part of the building that would be a nightmare. In relation to the traffic noise, it did not disturb us once the double window seems to work fine in blocking the noise.
Another positive thing is that you have the supermarket just across the street as well as restaurants and cafes in the Gueliz neighbourhood.
We are generally happy with our stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
carnoustie, scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

This holiday was a last minute deal we found on the internet, it was only for a week, so was just going to be a base for some local sightseeing,
Firstly the pictures you see of the hotel are a bit glamourised; the front entrance picture doesn’t show the dirty pavement entrance with missing slabs, a sign of things to come!!
We arrived in the early evening, with enough time to book in, freshen up, and have dinner before going out to find our bearings.
Our room was on the top floor with a view from the back of the hotel, {my wife had asked for a room with a view form the front} the view from the window showed that there was another building adjoining the hotel currently in progress, and that the foundations for more construction had already being laid. Thinking that construction noise may be a problem, my wife got them to give us another room, {as had been requested} we were given a room on the first floor with a front view, this room was very basic, with a bathroom and twin beds, certainly not 3 star, barely 2, I also wondered why the room had primary double glazed sliding doors and also a secondary double glazed door leading out to a tiny veranda, I didn’t have to wonder for long, the constant 24 hour noise of traffic, mopeds, scooters, motor bikes, cars, lorries not to mention the traffic police whistling continuously from early morning to late evening is absolutely horrendous, and the hotel is on the main crossroads leading to Casablanca, and even with all the double and secondary glazing it still can’t keep the traffic noise out at night, so you can forget restful nights sleeping.
The restaurant is small but looked clean enough, the waitress although very pleasant speaks French/Arabic, but as there are now quite a lot of English speaking holiday makers using this as a base, basic English would have been helpful,
We were on half board, basic European style breakfast, but very disappointed there wasn’t a menu to select your evening meal from, basically just what’s put in front of you,
First night was French fries, rice, sausages, lettuce and olives, only good thing on the plate was the French fries, the sausages tasted sour and made me baulk, the rice was soggy and wet, utterly revolting, ate out
Second night was the same as the previous night sausages slightly better, ate out again
Third night was chops, French fries, lettuce and olives, ate a few of the fries and I kid you not, a green type of dye came out of the chops, I showed this to my wife and to the waitress, due to not being able to communicate properly with her I was unable to convey my disgust, her actions and spattering of English suggested that it was a quality control mark that gets stamped on to beef joints etcetera, didn’t convince me one bit so was sent back to the kitchen, nothing was offered to replace this, we went on to the sweet, simply what was meant to be fresh water melon, which was frozen solid in the middle completely inedible, thank god McDonalds was just up the road.

We never ate our evening meals at the hotel again, simply ate out for the rest of our stay and found some really lovely restaurants close by with authentic Moroccan lamb/ beef tagines,

I would suggest you give this hotel a very wide berth, or if you’ve already booked in here then get a room at the rear, view not pretty but at least you’ll get some sleep

The rest of our Moroccan holiday was perfect,

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
beds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

Got back from Marrakech on Friday. Booked for 5 nights, stayed for 9 due to volcanic eruption. The staff at the Hotel Mont Gueliz were fantastic, especially Nadia and Saida.
Rather than exploit the situation, the hotel manager dropped the price for our 4 extra nights, and threw in a lovely evening meal for us as well !!!!
Yes, the hotel is situated on a busy roundabout, with construction work going on nearby. But, we felt,that the efforts of the staff more than compensated. Nice little pool on roof. Maids worked tirelessly to keep hotel spotless. Supermarket just across the street for all your needs. Bus number 1 from outside hotel takes you straight to main square in about 10 minutes for around 30 pence. We shall return !!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Wokingham. Berkshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

Firstly may I mention that there is now a direct airport shuttle bus serving the airport and Marrakech. As you exit the terminal turn immediately left and in front of you, some 80 metres, is the stop for the No 19 Bus. On leaving the airport the bus travels along the Ave de La Menera to Jeema el Fna, then along Ave Mohamed V before turning right towards the Gare Rouitere before rejoining the M'hamed V at the Place du 16 Novembre then up along Gueliz before turning left just before the top, then down Ave Mohamed VI before rejoining La Menera and back to the airport. Along the route there are 16 pick-up and drop off points so there should be one near most central hotels. The buses leave the airport every 30 mins from 06.30 until 21.00 hours, and the return from Jeema el Fna starting at 06.15 the fare is 20 Dirham single or 30 Dirham return. If you are an independent traveller, like myself, it's far cheaper then getting a taxi which would cost upwards of 100 Dirham (some will try and get anything from 150-200) into the centre.

Well ! We now arrrive at the Hotel Mont Gueliz, by the way the 3 stars is a self-assessment by the hotel. What I would like to do is take you through my stay as it actually unfolded, and believe me this is all absolutely true, some very worrying, but looking back, there is one amusing moment that would be completely at home in a sit-com like Fawlty Towers.

I arrived at the Mont Gueliz at lunchtime on the Monday and checked-in. The first thing that stuck me was how very tired it all looked, but while waiting for my key etc I looked around and noticed all the marks along the walls and the caked on dirt and dust along the skirting boards, considering this hotel had not long opened it's not a very good start. I asked for a room at the rear because the hotel is situated on a very busy intersection, with 5 incoming roads. If you are staying around this area do not dream of getting a room at the front of any hotel because you will not be able to get enough sleep to have any dreams ! I had to change my room straight away because the room I had been given had no key for the safe, as they had lost it and no spare, so I get to my room drop my things off, went up to look at the roof terrace with its small swimming pool, approx 4m x 3m, a few sunloungers and some table and chairs. I did notice the sound of some drilling, it seemed not to be that bad ( but looking back it was lunchtime) but took no notice went downstairs and headed off into town.
The hotel is a good 30 minute walk into Jeema el Fna or if you wish you can get the No 1 bus, from the intersection, which goes down to Jeema el Fna the fare is 3 and a half dirham, you pay the driver on entering, but DO keep all bags firmly closed and do not put wallets that bulge and are visible in your pockets making it much easier for those little darlings wishing to relieve you of them, but even MORE SO when in the souks.
I arrived back at the hotel that evening and in fairness the room seemed comfortable, but that all changed the following morning when the hammering, the pneumatic drills and every construction noise you can think of kicked off shortly after 06.45 and everyday after that and went on for 10 - 11 hours. It turns out that they are putting up a 6 storey building and it's flush against the hotel wall and my bedroom, and what made things even worse is there is a second site at the rear, and this is all going to go on for some time to come . I get up and head to the bathroom I notice the wrapped bar of soap in the soap dish above the basin, all well and good but it would help if the soapdish was cleaned of all the old congealed soap that had built up over goodness how long. I enter the shower having set the water at lukewarm, then out of the blue, and of it's own free will, the water shoots up to almost boiling... dangerous ! This happened all the time, a very big worry if you are travelling with children who could get badly hurt, back in the room I turned on the television (well tried to) only to find out that it did not work.
I went down to reception and was offered a room at the front, so it's traffic 24 hours a day or stay as I am, as for the water issue I was informed that's the way it is due to the plumbing thoughout the hotel and the televisions have been out of action for a number of days. I could not get any refund from the hotel, so do I check out and find another hotel, pay out for that and take the issue up when I get home with the Company I booked through, so I stayed bit my tongue and done my best to shut out the noise.
At no time was I informed of this contuction work, and going by the attitude of some staff I don't thing they would have told anyone in the first place. The staff in general, except for Saida on reception, just seem to find everything somewhat of an effort. How can I put this ? Shall we say there came a time when all the happy smiling face's were being handed out, well I can only imagine that most of the staff turned up very late and ended up right at the back of the queue.
Come Friday I decided to have an early night, as I had to be up early the following morning to head off to the airport. I must have just nodded off when there is this loud banging on my door just before 22.00. I wake up feeling a bit dazed the banging on the door continuing, so I get out of bed (Not a pretty sight !) just then the door opens, by now I am standing in the middle of the bedroom, and there standing in the doorway was this man in white robes (believe me) smiling , he approaches puts out his hand and gives me a device, which turned out to be a remote control, and then informs me that the televisions are now working again gives me a smile and leaves. Concidering that I was still standing there with not a lot on I was not sure what to make of that smile on his face ! Looking back at this particular episode I think Manuel and indeed Basil Fawlty would have been very proud indeed !
I go back to bed and it takes me some while to get back to sleep thinking how very bizarre this episode had been, and at that time at night. The following morning I get up early, even before the building site kicks off for the day, enter the bathroom turn on the shower NOTHING ! I try the basin tap NOTHING, no water in any shape or form, so I head out towards reception, get to lift OUT OF ORDER....... . By now it REALLY IS time to leave.

May I take this opportunity to wish you happy travels, but above all safe ones.

Chris Leavy.
Independent Traveller with 3 credits in the Rough Guide Travel Books. (France, Turkey and China)

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Mont Gueliz? Share your experiences!