“A Superb Riad in Marakesh” 5 of 5 stars

Riad Miski
6, derb Abdelouassaa | Ben Saleh, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #35 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
Daytona Beach, Florida
“A Superb Riad in Marakesh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

I will admit we were a little shocked as we were driven to the neighborhood to find the Riad. And we were more shocked as we exited the cab and walked down narrow decrepit streets, dodging motorcycles. But we found a perfect oasis in Riad Miski. It is quite a few blocks from the square and the Soucks, but we soon grew to love the character of the neighborhood and the streets, and dodging motorcycles.

Christine is the owner of this Riad. She bought the Riad and moved from France some years ago. She had written me via e-mail as soon as I booked the room, which I did after reading Trip Adviser. She spent a lot of time with us, showing us the city, and even taking us to complicated locations.

The room was spacious and perfect. This is like an inn in the U.S., with only six rooms, and a lot of open common areas.

The food is beyond magnificent. It's definitely worth it to pay for dinners right there, because Raja is a 5 star chef. Have the chicken cooked in the clay pot with lemon. And the appetizers. I'm telling you, I'd return just for the gourmet food.

The Riad Miski also offers a tour into the Atlas Mountains with a guide named Halib. It is very, very worth it. But be prepared to walk for an hour into a village in the mountains that isn't accessible by car, have Halib and the owner of the house cook the most magnificent tea you've ever had, and then eat the most magnificent meal. Then be prepared to walk for an hour back to the car. Don't miss that.

Besides Christine and Raja, Radia and others, who clean the rooms, etc., there is the manager, Youssef, a 24 year old native. Youssef takes care of everything, getting up early to feed you if you have to leave early, serving dinner, etc. etc. All of these people are kind, helpful, and superb in every way.

The overall experience is a bit rustic, although the Riad itself is not. But I would never stay anyplace else in Marakesh.

See their site at http://www.riadmiski.com/bienvenue-riad-miski-marrakech. If links don't work, click on the site view at the bottom

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I have stayed in literally thousands of hotels around the world, yet admittedly, my first stay in a Riad. My hosts Christine and her husband who are from France were impeccable hosts and their staff just the same. Yusuf who is the man to go to about anything you need at the hotel is courteous, helpful and such a wonderful person. All staff share this common zest for life and positivity that is highly contagious. The rooms are comfortable and meet the basic requirements for a few nights in this eclectic city. The breakfast is different every morning and the location on the terrace is superb. I love eggs made fresh and to your needs and Yusuf made them perfectly! I will surely return

• Stayed May 2014
Sudbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

I have just returned home after spending 10 days at this Riad with my son and daughter(i am 80 years of age) and felt it a requirement to join Tripadvisor inorder to express my sincere thanks to the entire Miski team who made the holiday rather magical.
Our room was spacious,clean,high ceilings made it light and airy plus the air con worked perfectly which was required as we were experiencing a heatwave.The bathroom was furnished beautifully with a copper sink,big towels and plenty of them.The riad as previously mentioned is a see of tranquility,you quite literally walk from the hustle and bustle into this different world which is calm,quiet and quite intoxicating.
We had several meals prepared by the lovely chef Raja and what a cook-superb.We had lighter options from the menu as well as her famous tagine and were never dissapointed.Breakfast was freshly prepared daily and always different,plenty to go round and if you wanted more you could have it.
Christine is a warm and charming lady,very helpful ,calming and accomodating.On arrival we were given a very informative and useful guide of what to do/where to go with the use of a map-Christine highlighted all the places of interest and gave clear and consise instruction wich we followed and managed well.Christine offers different packages including trips to the Atlas Mountains which can be combined with massage,dinner etc however these can be tailor made to suit your needs and requirements and more importantly they are not pushy,no hard sell here.Her husband Francis has the magical hands of a true masseur coupled with wit and charm,they are terrific hosts.
Sadly, i have read recent reviews which are irrelevant and picky,i wonder if they were actually staying at the same place,and yes there is shade on the roof terrace.
You need to stay at Miski to understand the way it makes you feel and the impression it leaves coupled with the fact that it is perfectly positioned to walk almost everywhere and if you need a taxi that will be arranged,trust me,nothing is too much trouble.
Yousef the young Moroccan man who runs the place on a daily basis who has the local knowledge in abundance and always reliable,he advised different restaurants which were super and anything else we required.We found him to be a genuine young man who appreciated his guests and has a real thirst for knowledge.
Finally i would like to conclude by saying that we opted to stay at Riad Miski for a full 10 days based on the reviews and i feel that we have a much better overview of the place having got to know it properly therefore do not hesitate to stay here,you will have no regrets.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
sugarloaf
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Being told ahead of time how Marrakesh was a maze, I asked my future host for directions. She
sent a map(which was useless to the taxi driver) but since it was not clear enough I asked for
written directions which were not helpful either. Fortunately I met a local who knew as I would have never found it on my own(after the taxi driver left me off at the wrong place as he did not know either). It was a fifteen minute walk to old town square with turns that one must remember to get back to it which is no small feat. Mainly chose it for location and breakfast but
the only good thing about the latter was the fresh orange juice, melon, and another type of juice. My room was fine and I had the only window which looked out the narrow alleyway where the locals walked. Would recommend another Riad.

Room Tip: My room was on the top floor, last room on the right.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
miskiMarrakech, Propriétaire at Riad Miski, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Please, if you think you are not well prepared or if you have not a good sense of direction, take advantage of our transfer service. Our driver will wait for you at the airport (or any appointment) and will take you to the door of the Riad with no stress.
As a "world traveler" you didn't want this service. Despite map and written recomandations I sent you, you didn't succeed alone. This bad start has ruined everything and made you ​​grumpy for the rest of yourstay, what a pity !
Hazleton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

The hosts were perfect here, however our room was really small. We saw photos on Tripadvisor that showed nicer room but even tho we booked months ahead, I think we got the smallest room. Also, the terrace was good if you wanted to sit in the sun but there was no shade. I think we would try elsewhere if we return to Marrakech.

• Stayed May 2014
You have made your booking under a hotel reservation website and have choosen the cheapest room, at this time we had bigger rooms available. It's a pity because when you arrived we were full and could'nt upgrade you.
During your stay it was a pick heat : 45 degrees ! The terrace on the afternoon is not the best place to stay even if we have sun umbrellas, sun hats at your disposal.
As Moroccan usely says : winter on the terrace, summer in the Patio.
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Marrakech has been a dream destination of mine for years and as happens with dream destinations, i'd built up quite an image in my imagination of just how it was going to be. Riad Miski, a shady, tranquil oasis in the midst this wonderful city's downright craziness did that rare thing - it matched up to my inflated expectations.

A friendly welcome, the ever varied breakfast on the roof terrace, plenty of great advice on what to see in the city, and a wonderful hammam made this a delightful week in an extraordinary city.

Our room - booked at the last minute - was on the ground floor and a bit small but spotless and comfortable. Peeped into a vacated room on the first floor one morning though and would certainly request one of the larger rooms next time - and there will definitely be a next time!

Room Tip: The first floor rooms are a little bit bigger
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Just read previous reviews - same. The excursion is a must, and the riad is close to Jenna but a real oasis. Youssef looked after us and we didn't have to worry about anything. The breakfast on the terrace was a daily treat !

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Riad Miski? Share your experiences!