“A refuge amid the action” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Amirat Al Jamal

We can't find prices for this hotel
Riad Amirat Al Jamal
You added Riad Amirat Al Jamal to your Saves list
33 Rue Fhal Zefritti, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #155 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A refuge amid the action”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Riad Amirat Al Jamal is a five minute walk from the madness and excitement that is Jemaa el Fna square. Whenever we had had, temporarily at least, our fill of snake charmers, storytellers, acrobats, bargaining at the souk, and crowds of people, my wife and I just slipped back into the peace and quiet of the riad, which is elegantly simple and simply elegant. I especially liked, and took advantage of, the several sections of the riad where one can sit, reflect, and recharge, each one beautifully and comfortably furnished. The rooftop terrace is a perfect place to watch the sun rise, to see it set behind the Koutoubia Mosque, and to hear the call for prayer coming from many mosques, near simultaneously. It's magic. Our hosts, Said and Hamidou, were the best. Said set beautiful tables each morning for breakfast, and Hamidou prepared delicious meals. We had dinner at the riad two of our four nights in Marrakech. Hamidou's lamb tagine was definitely worth 5 stars. In addition, Said and Hamidou made reservations for us, answered questions, served us drinks on the rooftop, and even guided us through a bewildering maze of alleys to and from a restaurant our first night. I can't imagine a better place to stay in Marrakech.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Hamidou and Said are the most amazing, wonderful hosts! They gave us such a warm welcome each time we entered and nothing was too much trouble. They created such a warm environment, and made us feel very safe and cared for - it made us feel so at home. The was magnificent and the setting so beautiful, tucked away, right in the heart of the medina and amongst the action! It was so nice to be able to dip into the bustle outside the medina and return to the beautiful, quiet, calm of the riad! :) thank you so much, Hamidou and Said!

• Stayed September 2012
Victoria, BC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is an amazing riad, inside the medina and just a few minutes’ walk from the souks and Jemaa el Fna square. It's beautifully decorated in Moroccan style with new and old carpets, masks, pottery, baskets, metal work and wall hangings. Booking was easy and prompt via email with both Peggy and Rachid. The quiet and unobtrusive Hamidou and Said were fantastic and helped make our stay a great experience. Hamidou and Said live in the riad so were there for us from the moment we got up in the morning to the time we went to bed. Hamidou prepared all our breakfasts and two dinners for us during our stay while Said served us at a beautifully set table. Food was excellent and there was more than enough to eat. I looked forward to the freshly-squeezed orange juice every morning. Rooms and bathrooms were spotlessly clean. Rachid was our host and knowledgeable travel guide on trips in the medina, to the High Atlas and to Essaouira. Rachid's English is excellent. Lunch and a tour at Richard Branson's Kasbah Tamadot near Imlil was a highlight of the High Atlas trip. There is no question I would return to Riad Amirat al Jamal.

Room Tip: Grand Chambre and Chambre Margaret were the nicest rooms
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Mill Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We used Morocco Custom Travel, co-owned by Peggy Engh and Rachid Izemreten, to plan our trip to Morocco, and also stayed in Peggy's riad, where we were treated as honored guests. The riad, including our rooms, is decorated with colorful Moroccan flair, vibrant patterns, and Berber style handcrafts and furnishings, in relaxing spaces. We especially enjoyed nighttime dips in the courtyard pool, and beautifully designed breakfast tables, different each morning. Peggy and Rachid, along with staff members, Hamidou and Said, helped us in every way possible - bringing us to special shops, making our dinner reservations, leading us through the nighttime medina, providing personal services like laundry and shoe repair, bringing us cooling drinks after hot days of touring, and preparing an evening of food, music and dancing. Using M.C.T. gave us enormous personal attention throughout Morocco that made our trip a dream come true.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Honolulu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

I stayed at this riad after a very exhausting package tour of Morocco. Peggy and her wonderful staff provided just the amount of calm and caring that I needed. Peggy is very knowledgeable of Moroccan traditions, while understanding the American mindset, which was very helpful. I was so happy to see all the luxuries we grow accustom to – Kleenex, alarm clocks, working air conditioning and washcloths – that are lacking in most of Morocco.

As a single woman I was somewhat apprehensive of staying at a riad by myself, but the staff went out of their way to make me welcome and secure.

Top notch location and VERY clean.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

I have traveled to all over the US, to tropical islands, Central America, Europe and stayed in 5-star resorts. Without a doubt, this riad, run by an American named Peggy with support from wonderful Moroccans, was the best "home-away-from-home" experience that I've ever had. The room was beautiful and incredibly clean. The riad held true to Moroccan decor and had a terrific location, in addition to a beautiful sitting room and lovely terraces. The breakfast was the best I've ever had and I looked forward to it everyday. I was able to eat lunch and dinner there, as well, and those meals were equally delicious and served in a lovely terraced location next to a pool. Peggy arranged airport transport, tours and guides for me, even before I arrived. The service provided by the staff truly made me feel like a princess. I can't begin to praise my experience here enough.

Room Tip: I stayed in the duplex, which was lovely and had a private terrace, but I'm sure all rooms are w...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

This Riad was excellent. I would recommned this to anyone. The location is excellent. it was only two/three minutes walk from the bustle of the main square and the Souks, , but once inside it was an Oasis of calm. Especialy the rooftop garden and patio.
The owner Peggy was excellent. She is extremely knowledgeable about the history of Marrakech and was able to advise us on where to visit within the Souks. She has real design flair and the rooms are all furnished beautifully with traditional furniture and artifacts.
The service from both Hamidou and Said was excellent. Nothing was too much trouble. We had an excellent traditional Morrocan meal on the first night cooked by Hamidou.
Said accompanied us on our day trip to the Atlas Mountains to make sure we made the best of the day and so that he could translate for us. it was typical of their attention to detail.
We had a really excellent short break and would really hope to return again.

Room Tip: we stayed in Chambre Margeret. it was a lovely spacious room with traditional ceiling, ensuite and t...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Amirat Al Jamal? Share your experiences!