“Chicken with Caramelised Pumpkin - C'est Manifique!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 533 restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: Moroccan
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Milton Keynes, UK
“Chicken with Caramelised Pumpkin - C'est Manifique!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

I chose this restaurant on the basis of good write-ups in my 2 guide books, and I was not disappointed. It's a smart, contemporary restaurant in the new part of town and, as such, is more expensive than your average medina eatery but at 320DH (c £25) for 2 courses plus water and wine it's less than you'd pay for food of this quality in the UK. I had the 'Choice of Salads' to start which turned out to be 12 different creative dishes of raw and cooked vegetables (delicious - and no tummy upset from the raw veggies) followed by the tagine of chicken with caramelised pumpkin. I agree with a previous reviewer that this is probably the best chicken dish I have ever eaten! It was traditionally Moroccan - an elegant dish rather than a peasant dish. Other reviewers have commented that the staff didn't smile enough. Well, I found the service discreet and low-key but I certainly had smiles too - in response to my smiles and compliments on the food. I was travelling alone, and eating alone, and had no difficulty getting a table for a midweek lunch but I have no doubt that this is a restaurant where you need to book in advance for evenings and weekends.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

81% Recommend
Cornwall
“A truly Morrocan experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

What can I say....amazing food and incredibly good value. The entire place is run by women and boy do they know their stuff. Its was a true taste of Marrakech and everything I hope it would be. Definately one to try!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Auckland
“Delicious food, one of the best meals...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010 via mobile

Delicious food, one of the best meals I've had in Marrakech and generally. Menus were in Arabic, French and English which was very helpful. We had the selection of salads as our entre which was plenty for 2. Lots of little dishes, beautiful flavours, all vege except the liver. For our mains, we had the lamb tagine and the vege tagine, both were fantastic. Huge servings, so be warned. Both tanginess were so delicious that we were wiping the bowl clean with bread. We arrived around 9pm but didn't have a reservation, and were frostily asked to come back later. We almost didn't come back because of how short they were, but we were glad we did. The service was lovely when we came back later, the ladies were friendly and happy to look after us. Surprisingly cheap considering how amazing the food was. Highly recommend this place.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
kellycrystal
“One of the best restaurant experiences I've had and the BEST chicken.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

I had the chicken tajine with caramelized pumpkin and I think it is the best chicken meal I've ever had. The chicken and mush looked a bit grose, but tasted amazing - so tender. And the ambiance was very nice. Plus, I loved that the place is run by all woman. It was an experience that I'll remember for a long time and one of the highlights of my trip. Make reservations if you can or go right when they open (which was 8:15 during Ramadan). You can read more about my meal in my trip diary - I gave a full food description and its own section called "The food," so obviously it left an impression on me: http://www.pondjumpersspain.com/2010/09/15/moorish-architecture-canyoning-story-tellers-and-more-in-marrakech/ (no ads, just my trip diary and photos, so I hope it is okay to post.)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

Al Fassia Gueliz:

Brilliant restaurant, plenty of atmosphere, amazing pidgeon pastilla followed by shoulder of lamb (best lamb we have ever had!)

Staff very efficient and friendly.

Quite a large bill for two of us but think that was due to the two bottles of Moroccan wine rather than the food!