“This place is the anti climax.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Palais Soltan Riad & Spa

and 1 more site!
You added Palais Soltan Riad & Spa to your Saves list
Palais Soltan Riad & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Boulevard Mohamed VI, Zone | Touristique Agdal, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #364 of 462 Hotels in Marrakech
Valletta, Malta
“This place is the anti climax.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I am sorry to have to write this bad review especially after a wonderful holiday in morrocco and having to go against all the reviews I read before going to this "palais'. To be fair the hotel's interiour is not bad except for the fact that it was very dark in the common parts and room which did not even have windows to the outside. After some difficulty to locate the hotel with our taxi having to call them to get some directions and hence noting that the location is incorrect to what was indicated on booking. We were welcomed by a very kind receptionist . He told us that to go to the centre which was very distant we had to pay 150 dir each way . Thank god we stayed for just one night here for our flight back as this would have cost us a fortune. Another funny thing is that we met no other guests and the bfast was served on the roof top which was some kind of trendy place(ages ago) and this was definately not up to standard. I cannot believe that the other reviewers gave all these high marks as in my opinion this hotel will not last very long . It is surrounded by abandoned properties and situated in the middle of nowhere and i bet the owner is contemplating to put down the shutter. To cut it short we were very dissapointed especially after staying in three other ryiads which were all very comfortable and buzzing with life to have to spend our last night in this bad vibe hotel or better cemetery.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
palais s, Directeur général at Palais Soltan Riad & Spa, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear guests,
Thank you for Taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. Certainly we are disappointed That You have not enjoyed your stay at the Palais Soltan
We are surprised by your comment about price shuttle,we remind you that our hotel provides the guests two daily free shuttle at fixed times for transfer from the hotel to the city center and on reservation for the rest of the day as well as for the transfer to the airport, the shuttle’s price from hotel to the center is 25,00 MAD per person and to the airport 150,00 MAD/transfer
Related the location of the Palais Soltan, we want to bring to your attention that our hotel is part of the new tourist area of Agdal, located near the Al Mazar Mall with views overlooking the mountains Atlas and surrounded by hotels, renowned restaurants, golf course and movie theaters.
We're still sorry for this inconvenience and insure you that the owner continues the expansion of several hotel projects and has no intention to abandon or close the Palais Soltan Marrakech.
We apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced despite a team responsible for ensuring the ongoing success of your stay. We remain at your disposal.
Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stayed in this hotel with my family and spent a week here in September 2012.

Positives

1) Very personable and friendly staff who go out of their way to help you.
2) Very nice, spacious rooms
3) Very nice traditional building in keeping with the moroccan style
4) Only 10 minutes away from the old city (Medina) and the main square (Jenna ul fna)
5) Only 10 to 20 minutes from the airport (depending on traffic)
6) Close to a shopping centre which has a supermarket in there too
7) Not noisy inside the hotel

Negatives (things that require improving)

1) There are no lifts and as breakfast is only served on the rooftop, not suitable for senior people who may find climbing stairs a struggle. However, the staff were kind enough to bring breakfast to my mum in her room on a daily basis or my dad would bring breakfast down to her.
2) Breakfast selection is quite limited and best to ask the staff for warm food like toast and fried eggs and tea.
3) The bathroom light can only be switched on if the main room light is switched on so if you are sharing a room with someone not very practical. I ended up buying a torch so if I got up in the night to use the bathroom I didn't disturb the other person.
4) The free shuttle is only free at limited times so we ended up paying whenever we used this.
5) The lights in the room are very dim and especially in the bathroom. I would suggest they install brighter lights in the bathroom at least.

However, it was a very pleasant stay and very different to a conventional hotel. I would recommend this to someone and I hope if the staff are reading these reviews that they may take on board some of these suggestions.

Room Tip: I would suggest that for senior people that they ask for a room on the ground floor as there are no...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
palais s, Directeur général at Palais Soltan Riad & Spa, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear guest,
The whole team joins me in thanking you for your comment left on this site and we are pleased to read that you enjoyed it.
We consider your comments and suggestions to improve and provide excellent service appropriate to your needs and will do everything we can to make your next stay a renewed delight! be assured that the necessary measures have been implemented to improve the quality of services mentioned.
Hoping to have the opportunity to welcoming you again in our hotel,
Sincerely
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The Riad was one of the most pleasant hotels I've ever stayed in, balancing Moroccan tradition with creature comforts and holiday luxury. It's not a large hotel; it's a bit like a French auberge, with a homey feel where everyone can wander around to their heart's content, have a chat with the staff, whilst still receiving the best treatment.

Our entire holiday got off to a bumpy start with British Airways losing all of our baggage, and the hotel staff diligently rang up every day to speak to BA authorities who responded more amenably to native Arabic speakers, and offered up the hotel shuttle service who took us to the airport to check on the status of our bags at least twice a day until we left Marrakech. The hotel is located in a quiet developing district which is a relief from the tourist traps of the Medina and the New Town, which are only 5 mins away by taxi. (The hotel has a twice a day free shuttle service, just after breakfast and lunch). There's a carrefour around the back, with supermarkets for supplies and many many restaurants to suit every taste. The hotel restaurant was closed during the refurbishments, but there are loads of hotels, restaurants, fast food chains and clubs around, so that's not an issue at all. The work taking place at the hotel had absolutely no impact on us.

The rooms are lovely, with gorgeous four-posters, stunning Moroccan furniture and air conditioning. The showers are powerful, and the rooms are cleaned every day. There's a roof-top pool where you can have breakfast and relax.

The staff was exceptional. The lovely receptionists, the taxi driver and all the other employees went out of their way to ensure that our holiday went smoothly. They are aware of everyone's individual needs and always make it a point to stop and chat and ask after your day. They recommended the best places to visit, the best restaurants and even chatted to us about Moroccan politics and current affairs! The hotel arranged a wonderful trip to the Atlas Mountains for myself, my parents and my brother at a far better rate than external organisations. Other tourist locations like the Majorelle Gardens and the Palais Bahia are perfectly accessible.

Thank you to everyone at the Palais Soltan who made our trip to Marrakech so wonderful!

Room Tip: We had a room on the middle floor, in an open-air part of the hotel. It was lovely to walk out every...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear guests,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding Palais Soltan Riad & Spa. We are so happy to know how much you have appreciated the hotel service and stuff’s attention and are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your room and rooftop pool terrace with restaurant and lounge bar. Hoping to have the opportunity to welcoming you again in our hotel.
Best regards
Berkshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I can't fault this hotel at all, I was apprehensive prior to my visit having read other reviews but was blown away by this truly Moroccan Riad.

The staff are fantastic and can't do enough for you from arranging excursions to recommending eateries and even tips on do's and don't while in Marrakesh, Faical and Norideen were particularly helpful and deserve a mention here.

The riad was cleaner than many big chain hotels I have stayed in, our room was perfect, traditional and cleaned daily. The rooftop pool area was trendy and relaxing with four poster sun loungers around the pool and a bar where you can also buy food if you can't tear yourself away from the sun.

Like below reviewers the hotel restaurant was closed, this in no way impacted our stay, there are plenty of options within walking distance just ask at reception for recommendations. The work being carried out on the restaurant didn't affect us or any other guests either so you have no worries there.

Breakfast was served on the roof terrace, we had plenty of choice but if you wanted something that wasn't laid out you only had to ask the staff. As someone below mentioned there are cats around at breakfast time there weren't any bother and didn't beg for food, just sit in the shade and unless you made a fuss of them they would stay out of your way, you'll see cats everywhere in Morocco.

I was sad to leave this idyllic Moroccan getaway and will definitely be returning, I've already recommended it personally to friends and family. Thanks to all the staff at the Palais Soltan for making my trip so memorable.

Dear Guests,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding Palais Soltan Riad & Spa. We are so happy to know how much you have appreciated the hotel service and stuff’s attention and are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your room, breakfast and rooftop pool terrace with restaurant and lounge bar
Hoping to have the opportunity to welcoming you again in our hotel.
Best personal regards
Delft, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We booked hotel Palais Soltan for 11 days with 4 girls. It was a Great Staying at Palais Soltan. The way we were welcomed was sooo nice! And the rooms were beautifull. The staff of the hotel were very very kindley! Everything was very clean.. and the service also!! my expreience was soo nice that i deffinetely will come back to this hotel on my next visite to Marrakesh!.. There is a pendel bus from the hotel.. which is perfect to take. The breakfast for me was good. The choises are really enough. I want to thank the staff for everything!

Kind regards!!

Ashley Addink

Dear Clients,

We enjoy to read you had a great time at the Palais Soltan & Spa. We are so happy to know how much you have appreciated the hotel service and stuff’s attention.
We hope to see you again soon.
Best Regards.
Windsor, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I have never posted a review about any hotel or holiday before but having read the reviews on this site felt compelled to do so.

My friend and I have just returned from a 9 day stay in Marrakech and we both found the Palais Soltan to be the highlight of our trip. If you are looking for authentic Moroccan but with a modern twist then this is the place for you. As a riad the Palais Soltan is small and to be honest not the usual type of place I would stay at I would usually opt for a larger hotel, but having experienced the amazing facilities at this hotel I am definitely a convert.

We stayed in a twin room which was lovely, very comfortable and extremely clean at all times during our trip. The rooms are air conditioned with a fridge for your use and the bathroom facilities were better than average.

One of the amazing things about this place is the roof top terrace which is reminiscent of Ibiza beach bars decked out with four poster bed sun loungers, sofa areas both shaded and non shaded and a fabulous pool. It is the essence of ultra cool & extremely unexpected.

Like the previous visitors below sadly the restaurant at the hotel was undergoing renovation and therefore breakfast was served on the roof terrace - which was typical Moroccan fare. Omelettes and warm bread were available on request. There are cats at the Palais Soltan but this is common wherever you go in Marrakech we even found them in a 5 star hotel which we visited for dinner (as recommended by the lovely staff at the Palais) as it was a stones throw away.

The staff were the icing on the cake for us as they were extremely friendly and couldn't do enough to make our stay the best it could possibly be. Reccomending places to visit, eat and even advising regarding local etiquette.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again

Dear Guest,

I’d like to thank you for taking the time to give us your comments regarding your stay at Palais Soltan on Tripadvisor. We are so happy to know how much you have appreciated the hotel service and stuff’s attention.

All your notes will be an added value to improve our services in order to satisfy all your expectations and let them come true during your next stay in our hotel.

Best Regards
Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Me and my girlfriend had booked 2 weeks at the riad in August -unfortunately, we only lasted 4 days before requesting to be moved to another hotel.

The reasons were simple - being ramadan, the management had decided it was the ideal time to build a nightclub underneath the riad so half of it was like a building site; the restaurant attached to the hotel was also closed; and the barman at the pool bar was off for ramadan which resulted in drinks taking almost 20 minutes to arrive at the bar (despite us pretty much being the only people there). Unfortunately, with all the work going on, the hotel just wasn't what we paid for and we asked to move.

I have to say that the staff were an absolute pleasure - they did their best to try and improve our stay, and I almost felt bad for them when we moved, as it really wasn't their fault. The shuttle bus driver was a real help in recommending places for us to go in the city, and the receptionist and manager were very helpful. The room was also really well decorated and air conditioning was brilliant. The pool area looked nice, and the pool was clean but being so quiet it just lacked any type of atmosphere and obviously the pool bar service was terrible.

The breakfast is also appalling. Scabby cats are always meandering around where it's served so you never know what might have licked it, as it's served outside on the roof terrace.

i'd be interested in seeing how the place turns out when it's busy, but unfortunately maybe it was just a case of right place, wrong time?

Room Tip: If you have the money - go for a suite. They're the only ones with front-facing windows.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guests,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your comments regarding your stay at Palais Soltan Riad & Spa, even if, it is very painful to read them.
However I thank you for your comments and be assured that all your comments are important to us in order to be much more in line with our Clients expectations and needs.
Hoping to have the opportunity to welcoming you again in our hotel in order to show all our improvements.

With best regards

Been to Palais Soltan Riad & Spa? Share your experiences!