“Stay here if you go to Marrakesh!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Bamaga

You added Riad Bamaga to your Saves list
Riad Bamaga
4.0 of 5 Inn   |   86, derb Sidi Bouamar | Riad Lâarouss, Marrakech 40008, Morocco   |
Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #81 of 1,072 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Stay here if you go to Marrakesh!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

We stayed in Marrakesh for 4 nights, and were really pleased we chose Riad Bamaga. The staff were all very helpful, and gave us useful advice and recommendations and hand-drawn maps which made it a lot easier to get around. The Riad is in a great location - about 15 minutes walk from the square through lots of interesting streets and souks. We were in a ground floor room which I was worried would be noisy, but it was really peaceful and quiet, and decorated in a lovely style. There is a great roof terrace with plenty of shade which we used to get out of the heat. Breakfast is served up there and we had a meal in the Riad one night which was lovely. We went on a day trip to the Atlas Mountains with a company recommended by the Riad which was quite expensive but really worth doing. Thanks to all the staff for making our stay so enjoyable - if we visit Marrakesh again, we will definitely be coming back!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

after my first time staying there in November there was no question of returning to this nice and cozy Riad again. Now "belonging to the family" was a nice gesture. The staff this time with the very kind and helpful Abdelaziz and of course Simon, who offered us every service we liked to. We were helped with advanced purchasing of our bus tickets to Essaouira (7€) and a rental car (40€/day) which was handed over to us easily at the little parking at the entrance of the street. Not to mention the hints from Colette (the owner) for not getting lost in Marrakech jungle and find good restaurants. Returning from the city means coming home here, perfect ambience (I remember Jean-Jacques listening to classical music once we came back, a real and fantastic sound experience inside these walls).
The Riad is 15-20min walking distance from the Djemaa El-Fna square, but the walk through the Souks is one of the most colourful, tasty, verbal and visual experiences one can make. In German words: der Weg ist das Ziel, every meter is worth it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Ardmore, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Getting lost in old Marrakech is a rite of passage for visitors to the city. No, you can't look like you know where you going; yes, someone *will* offer to help you—for a reasonable fee, and without guarantee you'll get where you were going so much as where they want you go. But that's part of the Marrakech experience. Get lost in the souks, find your way to the Jemaa el Fna, and sample some great food, or just soak in the scene. It's chaotic, but then you confidently wind your way back through the covered streets of the souks to Rue Riad La Rousse, and find the small alley that leads to a heavy wooden door. Three knocks and you're breathing easy in a charming, hospitable home away from home.

First impressions first: Riad Bamaga is a stunningly pretty space, from the babbling fountain in the center courtyard, to the thoughtfully decorated and comfortable rooms. It's the easiest thing to set your bags down, head upstairs to the rooftop terrace, and gratefully accept your first of many cups of mint tea from Aziz or Simo. Not only does the staff welcome you to the riad, they also make sure you know how to get to the must-see sites in the city. We stayed there for only two nights on either end of a desert tour with Morocco Excursions (also reviewed), and Aziz made sure we were taken care of from start to finish. We even had to change our arrival and departure date for the second day, and it was completely painless. We couldn't be happier with the service, or the kind hospitality with which it was rendered.

Oh, and the food. On the evening of our second stay—our last in Morocco—we chose to have dinner at the Riad, following the advice of many of the reviews here. GOOD ADVICE. Touring Morocco is a constant parade of tagines, but the one we got at Riad Bamaga was a standout meal. After dinner, Simo joined us and another group of guests for some dice and good conversation.

So a great big "choukrane" and "merci beaucoup" to Riad Bamaga. When we return to Marrakech, there's no question where we'll stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

My mum and I have just visited Marrakech for the first time and loved our stay at Riad Bamaga! The riad was decorated in a lovely way and offered real sanctuary from the bustling streets. We had evening meals a couple of nights there and the food was wonderful. Thank you to Colette, Simo and all of the other staff who helped to make our stay so fantastic with their superb service! We hope to visit again soon!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

My friend and I visited Marrakech from the 15th- 18th of March and stayed in riad bamaga.

Colette, the owner, was very helpful and gave us all sorts of tips on how to get the most out of our short stay. She arranged a camel ride for us and also went to the bus station to pick up our bus tickets in advance for our onward travel as she said it would be going out of our way and would take away from the precious time we had to explore the city, which we were extremely grateful for.

The riad itself is gorgeous. Very clean and tastefully decorated with an amazing roof terrace!! It was extremely peaceful with its water fountain and chirping birds. It's hard to imagine that this riad is less than 5 minutes walk from the noise, smells, and just general craziness of Marrakech city life.

Simon, a polite and friendly member of Colette's staff, arranged a lovely continental breakfast for us each morning on the roof terrace with delicious freshly squeezed orange juice. The only thing that annoyed us was that there was a big crowd of Germans there at the same time as us, who effectively monopolised the comfy sofas under the marquee on the terrace every morning so unfortunately we never had use of it, which would have been nice.

Also, we had used google maps to locate the Riad before we booked it but the location on google maps is WRONG. We were very confused when we got the riad (at night) and wanted to explore only to find that we were in a completely different location. The riad when searched on google maps is south of the main square, Place Jemaa El Fna. However, in actuality, it is north of the square and not as close as we thought. If you look up the Riad's official website, you'll discover the correct location.

We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend this Riad. It's very reasonably priced and the staff are lovely and very approachable. Colette is also happy to go above and beyond to ensure her guests get the most out of such a fascinating city.

We have both said we would love to return to Marrakech one day, just maybe next time with a larger group, or with a male friend or boyfriend. Being young, fair haired and fair skinned women in our 20s traveling alone, we did experience a bit of hassle from the locals and the walk through the alleys back to the riad at night always felt a bit dodgy.

It really is a fabulous, colourful and vibrant city inhabited by friendly people (for the most part anyway)... It's a real assault on all the senses!! It's ideal for those seeking a bit of culture and those who want to experience a different holiday than your run-of-the-mill, all inclusive beach breaks.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

My friend and I visited Marrakech for the first time and stayed at Riad Bamaga because of the good reviews it had on trip advisor-we were not disappointed!!
Collette and her team worked hard to ensure we got the most out of our stay

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Miami Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

My husband and I stayed here only due to the recommendation of the owners of Riad Alwachma... Bamaga was very pretty, tastefully decorated and well maintained however there were some issues from the beginning. I found a toenail in our bed. Yes. Toenail. Obviously the sheets were not changed. The bathroom smelled like a mixture of sulfur and sewer. We had to constantly keep the door closed. The noise was crazy - men screaming in arabic all night long, kids yelling, women fighting in french from the outside (we think). Not to mention the fact that the owner recommended the "easy spa" for massages which was a disaster on it's own. (see my review for that business... dont go.) The shower was hot, however it was basically a hose. The shower head was too heavy to stay on the connection on top and would fall if placed above your head. Thank god my husband brought duck tape.... seriously. We duct taped the shower head to the wall.

On the other hand - the staff was friendly. Miss Collette was lovely and always willing to help - and the orange juice and breakfast was great. Overall - this was a so-so experience. I dont think I would go back, but what can you expect for $65/USD per night. I would compare it to an average to good hostel. Minus the toenail. That was crazy.

Oh - also the creepy teenage boys that surround the door at night. I think they stay around stealing wi-fi. Just a guess. I would definately feel uncomfortable if my husband wasn't always with me.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
cabymons, Propriétaire at Riad Bamaga, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
It's a pity if you didn't like your experience in the heart of the medina, in Marrakesh, with riad Bamaga. I wanted to help you to understand this amazing city, with serenity, but it wasn't possible.
I believe, sincerely that Marrakesh has proceded a "shock" on you, and that the streets's life has borried you. Regarding cleanliness, I can assure that the sheets were changed : I see every room each day, because I am on the riad every day, and I trust my staff. It seems hardly possible that a nail - precisely toe - was "lost" in a bed which was changed. of course, it's a shame...About the shower, it's a pity that you didn't talk with us about that : it was only necessary to screw the head shower. However, I hope that your end of stay on Morocco will be fine, despite this experience that displeased you, as well as Spa tips I gave you : sorry again about your bad experience... customers that I had previously sent were happy. I wish you, sincerely, a better stay on the other places on Morocco.

Been to Riad Bamaga? Share your experiences!