“Riad close to action yet very tranquil” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Noor Charana

You added Riad Noor Charana to your Saves list
Riad Noor Charana
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Houmat Ben Sahl | Derb el kebir n°31, Marrakech 40008, Morocco   |
Ranked #147 of 471 Hotels in Marrakech
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Vancouver, Canada
“Riad close to action yet very tranquil”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This was one of three riads I stayed during my week long trip in Marrakech, due to some silly scheduling on my part. This was a very affordable riad, quite close to the Jemma El Fnaa (about 7 minute walk), yet tranquil and peaceful as a retreat from the action of the medina.
Along the route to the main square, there are many options for food and shopping. Once you figure out the lay of the surroundings, you will be able to access everything you need on foot.
My only complaint is that the wifi was weak in my room, but in the scheme of things, this was minor as being on vacation did not require me to be on wifi constantly. I dealt with this by coming down to the common area and using a lounge chair if I needed to use wifi. The other guests did this as well and I ended up meeting some great people in the process.
Tip: head to the riad's official website for a great map on how to find it in the medina.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Greater Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

A beautiful and quiet traditional riad located only five minutes from the main square. The perfect retreat from the busy city.
The staff will make you feel at home and are always ready to help.
I advise anyone who stay at the riad to have at least one meal in.
Overall good value for money.

I plan on returning there on my next visit to Marrakech.

Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2015

This is my 5th trip to Morocco and my third stay at Riad Noor Charana. Located right in the heart of the Medina and a very short walk (5/10 mins) from the Jema El Fna (main square); this is the perfect base to explore Marrakech. It's easy to find (once you've identified a few local landmarks!) and the house is beautifully decorated with lots of communal space to hang out - both indoors and outside on the roof terrace. It's fantastic value for money and a delicious, simple breakfast of fresh orange juice; tea and coffee and home made breads and pancakes is included in the price. I've stayed here with a friend; with my daughter who was 3 at the time and on my own. If you're a woman travelling alone it's safe, secure and the owner Elizabeth (who speaks French and English) will help you plan any trips and organise taxi's to and from the airport. All in all I'd highly recommend Riad Noor Charana and am certain that I'll stay there on my next visit to Marrakech.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are cosy, beautifully decorated with en suite bathrooms. I've stayed in 3 of t...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2015

I stayed at this Riad in January. The Riad itself is very tastefully decorated, clean and maintained to a high standard.
The Bedrooms are not massive, but there are plenty of spacious lounges and a gorgeous roof terrace to chill out.
breakfast is taken on the roof and simple but tasty.
The Riad is located right in the thick of the Madenia but strangely is incredibly quiet and tranquil compared to the chaos of the souks.
The French owner Elizabeth runs a very slick operation and will arrange anything from a taxi collecting from the airport(advisable) to excursions or Hamman.
One major plus is because the Riad is French owned, it is not dry and Beer and Wine are freely available at very reasonable prices.
Also there is free super fast WiFi all over the Riad, even on the roof! Great streaming.
Overall I can not fault this Riad in any way, hence it gets my first 5 stars ever.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2015

so close to everything your in walking distance to every attraction
staff are very caring and nice but speak little English
rooms tidy and big enough
nice roof top area
get a transfer from airport to riad

• Stayed January 2015, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2014

Good value for your money. Breakfast was included and was ok. The riad was very close to the big square, around 5-10 minutes walk. The other attractions in the Medina is by walking distance. A lot of restaurants nearby. We had a taxi from the road pick us up from the airport, 150 dirham for the car. It would be really hard if they hadn't picked us up. Recommend the taxi. They also have excursions which you can by from the riad.

Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Falmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2014

We travelled as two couples to Morocco for a three centre holiday. We spent the first four days here in Marrakech. As we arrived on a busy Wednesday evening the taxi, booked by the riad, could not get close to the riad and we had to drag our cases a few hundred yards over the cobbled streets and the riad from the outside looked uninspiring. However the inside was the opposite.

This riad is particularly well placed with only about a five minute walk to the main square. The only criticism of it was that the rooms were a little on the small size. However, they were authentic and charming. The breakfasts were excellent with a good variety of different foods and were the best we had during our two week stay in Morocco. These were taken on the open terrace at the top of the building. If you are fat, disabled or unsteady on your feet the narrow, partially spiral staircase could be a problem. It may be possible to have it in your room.

The staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful.

We would recommend eating at the stalls in the main square in the evenings as the food was of good quality, fresh and inexpensive. We also enjoyed our trip to the Yves St Laurent garden which we did in a horse and carriage. It was very good value.

We would recommend this riad but you need to be fairly fit. The old medina in Marrakech (which is where this riad is)is an unmissable experience as it is a vibrant, busy enclave with lots of local crafts etc.

We then went to the Argana hotel in Agadir - what a difference a day makes!!

Room Tip: We always prefer higher rooms
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Noor Charana? Share your experiences!