“Moroccan Cookery School” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #28 of 547 Activities in Marrakech
Type: Cooking classes, Sightseeing Tours, Food & Drink
More attraction details
Owner description: The world-renowned cooking workshops at La Maison Arabe are open to hotel guests and those staying elsewhere in Marrakech. At the half-day classes, one learns the secrets of Moroccan cuisine, considered the most refined on the African continent. The workshops are run by a dada (traditional Moroccan chef), a translator (French/English), and include a visit to a nearby spice market and communal bread oven. After the workshop, during which every participant has worked alongside the dada at his or her own workstation, one dines on the delicious meal that's been prepared. The cooking workshops at La Maison Arabe have been praised by the leading international travel and food press, including The New York Times Sunday Travel Section, Travel + Leisure, Condé Nast Traveler, Saveurs, and Virtuoso Life.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Wheelchair access
York
“Moroccan Cookery School”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

From arrival to the end of the half day course it was thoroughly enjoyable. The two ladies running the course were informative, friendly and good company.
The classes are small and held in a most wonderful hotel. If you like cooking and are in Marrakech I wouldn't miss it.
As the courses are small I suggest you book early.
The cost of the course was wonderful value for money.

Visited April 2013

London, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
“Warm, Welcoming Introduction to Moroccan Cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I scheduled this cooking class on my recent visit to Marrakech based on trip advisor reviews, and I wasn't disappointed!

The registration process was easy on-line, with quick response from the Riad. My 12 year old daughter and I attended the afternoon session and made the Tangine chicken.

When we arrived we were seated at a table and the Chef talked about Moroccan cooking, spices, how to make couscous, and history. We then went to a communal baking oven and then the spice shop. Then back to the Riad for 2 hours of cooking.

The nice thing about this cooking class is that each person has their own work space, with a TV screen in front, so it's easy to watch the demonstration. Two people ran the class, one doing the demo, one assisting the class. They were wonderful with my daughter who does know her way around the kitchen.

Easy to follow instructions, ingredients at our side, we had an amazing time learning how to use the Tangine. Once we were done,,we were escorted to the dining room where we enjoyed eating what we made.

We had a wonderful time, and actually tried to get into another class, but they were full. So book early and enjoy!

Visited April 2013
Salatiga
“What Moroccan Cuisine Should Be”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

After being in Morocco for several days across three cities, I had been a little unimpressed with the cuisine because everything had just started to taste alike. When I arrived at the cooking class, I was a bit disappointed to hear that we would be cooking a tagine because the idea seemed pretty basic. But wow! The attention to detail and combination of spices was incredible! I was very satisfied with the outcome of the efforts and after consuming the savory meal, wished that all of my tagine experiences in Morocco had been as delectable as that! The hosts are very dynamic and make you feel welcome and competent (even if you don't have much culinary experience). They were also very accommodating, happily switching my chicken tagine for a vegetarian one, even after we had already started preparations. The kitchen is just as pictured and each person is provided with their own station, oils, and spices. You are even given a gift upon completion of your time together. Well worth it!

Beachwood, Ohio
9 attraction reviews
“Chop chop top chef!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

A dozen of us invaded Le Maison Arabe's cooking school kitchen. The morning/lunch program included a short visit to a neighborhood community bakery, a short review of Moroccan spices, and a fabulous 2+ hours of instruction filled with cultural insight, history, laughs, and so so Moroccan wine :-) A great time was had by all thanks to the team of dada umma Fatima and English literature instructor turned social network foodie entrpreneur Mohammed.

We prepared lemon and olive chicken tajine, eggplant and tomato sides. My key take away was the key spices that go into the ras el hanout seasoning mix along with insights into traditional Moroccan culinary folklore.

We spent nearly two hours consuming our top chef tajine creations with more laughs around the hotel's poolside patio.

Highly recommend the experience.

Visited March 2013
London
“fantastic experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The cooking course was a great contribution to a long weekend in Marakech, we learned cooking, but also more about the local culture with a visit to a shop to learn more about spices and a local bakery. The food we cooked was delicious. I have just bough a tagine myself and am going to try out the recipies at home. I can highly recommend it.

Visited March 2013