“Oasis of beauty...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #203 of 1,043 Marrakech B&B and Inns
StAlbans
“Oasis of beauty...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

I loved staying at this Riad. The staff, led by Sophie, were polite, helpful and professional. The Riad was clean and everything I wanted from my stay. I found getting around Marrakech was easy and Sophie was able to give any help needed. Although the Riad is tucked away, off of the main street, I always felt very at home walking alone to and from the Riad and around the area. Many of the places I wanted to visit were a short walk away and I had an amazing stay - I can't wait to go back to Marrakech and I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are beautiful, however I loved staying on the first floor, with views down onto the...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

Took a group of nine ladies friends for one week in October 2011 to Riad Aya... I initially chose it after my daughter's name...I had great hopes in it but I was very disappointed, and arm twisted... I contacted Sofie the --allegedly-- manageress who seemed at first to be very helpful and agreed to all my requests..i e like paying the outstanding balance once the group arrives and in their rooms--... I paid my First deposit-- worth £800 via a credit card.. Few weeks before we landed, I spotted a price discrepency on one of the internet site... I believe-- as any one would do-- I rang her to query the discrepency.. She was very rude, ubrupt, didn't listen, didn't seem to understand the question. then all in all she started blaming me for not being a travel agent, refused to give me my deposit back, and refused to even let my friends into their rooms before the full balance is paid...
I had to stay in the Riad for the week and bear her mood, she insisted on interfering in our programm trying to sell all the excursions, the trips, the restaurants, and even imposing herself to teach Belly dancing, eventhough she is not a qualified teacher. She even flogged a map of the city-- that anyone could get free from any other riad-- for 30dhs to one of the ladies.
I have travelled allover, I do understand the culture difference from one land to another... But I never come across any disappointing, shocking customer service similar to what Sophie offerd us.
The Very first day we were at the riad, in her office, sophie started shouting yelling at me, pointing her fingers to me, she had someone else with her in the office-- I think of a French origin-- who got introduced to me as--the owner-- This latter saw sophie and heard how she was speaking in a very obvious loud voice but was still supporting and defending her.. I was very shocked, I had no Choice but to adhere to them as I could n't get my deposit back... Two days after I found out that the French speaking man with her turned up to be her boyfriend.
If anyone wishing to use this riad pls be aware that you will have to buy what sophie offers. by sophie's price... She seems to be looking at her commission first before the guests needs...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Roma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Sophie the Manager and the staff all of this Riad have been so professional and politeness. Riad is clean, confortable and the breakfast is excellent.
located inside the Medina, 8/10 minutes by walk to Jamaa el fna square.
The staff of the Riad could give you the help you need for everything.
Max e Anto

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Ashford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

We thoroughly our stay at Riad Aya and would highly recommend it in terms of personal service, ambience and comfort. The staff were fantastic and nothing was too much trouble for them. The location was near to the centre of Marrakech. We would recommend having a guide for sightseeing as we found it quite difficult to find our way around.

Room Tip: We had bedroom Anis which was quiet and cool.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Marrakech, Morocco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

I have been to Marrakesh a number of times and have stayed at other Riads so felt quite disappointed, its located quite a bit from the main square and is not easy to find at all, the room smells strongly of damp I think this is the bathoom, breakfast is pretty simple pancakes and rolls with cold coffee as I have previously paid less and had a better stay I found this place expensive and only average I expected better.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

This place looks great - its absolutely beautiful, but outside the riad is a rabbit warren of tunnels that are frankly, dirty and scary. I would not walk through there on my own day or night, so if you are a woman, don't stay at this place on your own.

The manager promised to send us our shirt back to Australia (because it had been stained at the Riad)....but the shirt didn't show up. We emailed the manager about it and she replied something like " we sent it from France but its weird that you didn't receive it, sorry about that".) We thought that was a pretty lame response and we wonder whether the onwer kept the shirt for himself.

We found the town of Marrakech difficult - the local Moroccans seemed hostile - we were told to "[--] off" by two promoters outside a restaurant in the open air markets at Jemaa al Fna because we decided not to eat there and we were almost mugged (we got away because I screamed) when walking towards a restaurant that the manager of the Riad Aya had recommended to us (ie: it wasn't "out of the way"). You will get hassled beyond belief in Marrakech. You cant walk a few steps without being hassled. I don't like writing a place off but I wouldn't recommend anyone to go there, especially not a female on her own.

We decided that we would stay in the Riad after the attempted mugging, because we couldn't stand the pollution or hostility outdoors. I had to cover my nose and mouth with a scarf when walking outdoors because of the dense pollution. I have been to China, Manila and Hong Kong and I haven't experienced pollution quite like this before.

There was no room service or food available (apart from breakfast) when we were there...which was very disappointing, because there was a menu but we were told they were too busy to serve us food...it was difficult because we didn't want to leave the Riad and brave the hostility and pollution outside, but we had to, to get food.

If you want to experience the desert, I would recommend Jordan instead.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Bali, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

Riad Aya

I’ve just returned from spending an amazing four nights at the beautiful Riad Aya and waking up in rainy London I miss it already. It was a group trip to celebrate my 30th birthday so there were 14 of us, and we hired out the whole place. I know other reviewers have said that it gets noisy with different groups staying up at different times – I have to admit, we kept each other up a bit chatting and drinking into the early hours. Even the smallest cough travels up the open lobby area and around the two floors, but to be honest, this is riad life, and if you can’t beat em, you should probably consider joining them! I couldn’t have wished for a nicer place to spend my birthday. The staff were all incredible and Carole went out of her way to help us book restaurants and taxis when we needed them.

On the first night they made us dinner, which was gorgeous (we took all our own alcohol to make it cheaper) and breakfast was excellent every morning with pancakes, ample bread rolls and let’s not forget the Laughing Cow cheese triangles! The night before my birthday we requested eggs for breakfast, which they served us happily the next morning. Maria and Carole were even nice enough to get me a present of two gorgeous candles – such a sweet touch and totally unexpected! We spent a lot of our time lounging about on the roof terrace, although the plunge pool was freezing and definitely only for the brave. It made a really great base for meeting up, as we felt so welcome and comfortable there that we were happy to spend hours on end reading and chatting while waiting for the others to do their own thing, either getting ready for dinner somewhere else, or out seeing the sights. Plenty of photo opportunities thanks to the pretty plants, banisters and view over the rooftops for sunset.

The riad is a bit hidden away, like the others say, at the end of two tiny alleyways filled with kids and cats, but it only adds to the adventure and the look on people’s faces when they walk in and find the hidden paradise behind the big wooden door is priceless. At night, the staff light candles all over the courtyard and it looks like a fairyland! The souks are only a short walk away and easy to get lost in, but just remember a few landmarks along your way and ask a local to point you towards Dar el Bacha.

All the rooms at the riad are gorgeous – I chose “the penthouse” on the roof terrace but there was no squabbling as each is as nice as the others. There’s full A/C in each room, and plenty of hot water to go around. Tip: make sure you take earplugs. The call-to-prayer will wake you up between 4 and 5am every morning otherwise, and so will the chatter of your happy housemates!

I would definitely stay here again if I found myself back in Marrakech.

• Stayed November 2009

Been to Riad Aya? Share your experiences!