“Oasi in Marrakech” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #226 of 1,031 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Roma
“Oasi in Marrakech”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Sophie the Manager and the staff all of this Riad have been so professional and politeness. Riad is clean, confortable and the breakfast is excellent.
located inside the Medina, 8/10 minutes by walk to Jamaa el fna square.
The staff of the Riad could give you the help you need for everything.
Max e Anto

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Ashford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

We thoroughly our stay at Riad Aya and would highly recommend it in terms of personal service, ambience and comfort. The staff were fantastic and nothing was too much trouble for them. The location was near to the centre of Marrakech. We would recommend having a guide for sightseeing as we found it quite difficult to find our way around.

Room Tip: We had bedroom Anis which was quiet and cool.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Marrakech, Morocco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

I have been to Marrakesh a number of times and have stayed at other Riads so felt quite disappointed, its located quite a bit from the main square and is not easy to find at all, the room smells strongly of damp I think this is the bathoom, breakfast is pretty simple pancakes and rolls with cold coffee as I have previously paid less and had a better stay I found this place expensive and only average I expected better.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

This place looks great - its absolutely beautiful, but outside the riad is a rabbit warren of tunnels that are frankly, dirty and scary. I would not walk through there on my own day or night, so if you are a woman, don't stay at this place on your own.

The manager promised to send us our shirt back to Australia (because it had been stained at the Riad)....but the shirt didn't show up. We emailed the manager about it and she replied something like " we sent it from France but its weird that you didn't receive it, sorry about that".) We thought that was a pretty lame response and we wonder whether the onwer kept the shirt for himself.

We found the town of Marrakech difficult - the local Moroccans seemed hostile - we were told to "[--] off" by two promoters outside a restaurant in the open air markets at Jemaa al Fna because we decided not to eat there and we were almost mugged (we got away because I screamed) when walking towards a restaurant that the manager of the Riad Aya had recommended to us (ie: it wasn't "out of the way"). You will get hassled beyond belief in Marrakech. You cant walk a few steps without being hassled. I don't like writing a place off but I wouldn't recommend anyone to go there, especially not a female on her own.

We decided that we would stay in the Riad after the attempted mugging, because we couldn't stand the pollution or hostility outdoors. I had to cover my nose and mouth with a scarf when walking outdoors because of the dense pollution. I have been to China, Manila and Hong Kong and I haven't experienced pollution quite like this before.

There was no room service or food available (apart from breakfast) when we were there...which was very disappointing, because there was a menu but we were told they were too busy to serve us food...it was difficult because we didn't want to leave the Riad and brave the hostility and pollution outside, but we had to, to get food.

If you want to experience the desert, I would recommend Jordan instead.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Bali, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2009

Riad Aya

I’ve just returned from spending an amazing four nights at the beautiful Riad Aya and waking up in rainy London I miss it already. It was a group trip to celebrate my 30th birthday so there were 14 of us, and we hired out the whole place. I know other reviewers have said that it gets noisy with different groups staying up at different times – I have to admit, we kept each other up a bit chatting and drinking into the early hours. Even the smallest cough travels up the open lobby area and around the two floors, but to be honest, this is riad life, and if you can’t beat em, you should probably consider joining them! I couldn’t have wished for a nicer place to spend my birthday. The staff were all incredible and Carole went out of her way to help us book restaurants and taxis when we needed them.

On the first night they made us dinner, which was gorgeous (we took all our own alcohol to make it cheaper) and breakfast was excellent every morning with pancakes, ample bread rolls and let’s not forget the Laughing Cow cheese triangles! The night before my birthday we requested eggs for breakfast, which they served us happily the next morning. Maria and Carole were even nice enough to get me a present of two gorgeous candles – such a sweet touch and totally unexpected! We spent a lot of our time lounging about on the roof terrace, although the plunge pool was freezing and definitely only for the brave. It made a really great base for meeting up, as we felt so welcome and comfortable there that we were happy to spend hours on end reading and chatting while waiting for the others to do their own thing, either getting ready for dinner somewhere else, or out seeing the sights. Plenty of photo opportunities thanks to the pretty plants, banisters and view over the rooftops for sunset.

The riad is a bit hidden away, like the others say, at the end of two tiny alleyways filled with kids and cats, but it only adds to the adventure and the look on people’s faces when they walk in and find the hidden paradise behind the big wooden door is priceless. At night, the staff light candles all over the courtyard and it looks like a fairyland! The souks are only a short walk away and easy to get lost in, but just remember a few landmarks along your way and ask a local to point you towards Dar el Bacha.

All the rooms at the riad are gorgeous – I chose “the penthouse” on the roof terrace but there was no squabbling as each is as nice as the others. There’s full A/C in each room, and plenty of hot water to go around. Tip: make sure you take earplugs. The call-to-prayer will wake you up between 4 and 5am every morning otherwise, and so will the chatter of your happy housemates!

I would definitely stay here again if I found myself back in Marrakech.

• Stayed November 2009
Nairobi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

Riad Aya is a small cosy Riad in Marrakech, a little on the outskirts of the Medina but that makes it more accessible than the maze of streets in the Medina.

Very helpful and friendly staff, they made us a feel like family.

I must however say that the breakfasts got a bit monotonous. We stayed for 6 nights and eating pancakes and cakes for breakfast everyday wasn't exciting. The freshly squeezed orange juice on the other hand was divine.

• Liked — The friendly staff
  • Disliked — The Breakfast
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Stavanger, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

After booking the hotel directly through www.riadaya.com contact email, we communicated back and forth with Michèle a few times to finalize arrangements. She was very pleasant and made sure we were picked up at the airport. Good thing as we would never have found it without Bahja, the driver! This little gem of a riad is tucked away down a couple of narrow, featureless alleys. When we arrived at the door (very striking and refined), we were welcomed in by Maria, one of the staff, and Michèle. the manager. Once inside, the beauty of old Marrakech surrounded us - gone were the dusty alleys, the traffic noises, the hustle and bustle of a very busy city. We were in an oasis of tranquility. The small fountain in the courtyard was bubbling softy, the staff was quietly going about their business, everything was peaceful. We knew instantly we had made the right choice of accommodations for our seven-night stay in Marrakech. Madame Michèle was great at providing us with maps and recommendations in the area and making arrangements for excursions and local restaurants. Majda was always puttering around doing a wonderful job keeping the place spotless and comfortable. Abdul stood ready to help make our stay more enjoyable with whatever we needed (and he is a great pastry chef, too!). The creme de la creme of our stay was Maria. She is fantastic! We ended up having dinner 5 of the 7 nights at the riad because Maria is such an excellent chef! The meals were completely moroccan and very well executed. She also put up with our endless requests for mint tea (even made the concession of not adding sugar to some orders, as my wife likes it without sugar). The Saffron room, where we stayed, was large and airy and very comfortable. The rooftop terrace was very pleasant and afforded a view of the surrounding area, being a little taller than most other buildings. We walked to Djemma el Fna several times, as well as visited the souks almost every day of our stay. The riad is very well located in the medina and close to many places of interest. I very highly recommend the Riad Aya and my wife and I are already looking forward to staying there again.

• Liked — The staff and the location. Great staff and the riad is within walking distance of most everything.
  • Disliked — Central courtyard can get noisy for short periods of time and the noise does travel up to the rooms - the downside to a quaint courtyard structure.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Riad Aya? Share your experiences!