“Soooo hard to find + felt like riad's management was taking advantage of us” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Dar Lyna

and 1 more site!
You added Riad Dar Lyna to your Saves list
Riad Dar Lyna
48 derb El Ferrane | Riad Laarouss, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #696 of 1,070 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Soooo hard to find + felt like riad's management was taking advantage of us”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Had a very bad experience trying to find this Riad, as other people who stayed there too (I saw guests who yelled, ladies who looked super scared... almost crying). If you are planning on going there prepare to pay some money to someone on the street to help you find it... it can be from 1 to 10 people asking you for money as they helped you find the place (very unpleasant btw... you feel like you are being kidnapped). THIS IS NOT OK, the Riad should offer something to their guests... pick them up or something... and if someone helps their guests, then they should pick up the bill and deal with the 'helpers'. If you come by car, call before hand and make the people meet you outside the Medina and guide you to their 'parking lot'.

Honestly the place is OK... but towards the end I felt like the people there were trying to take advantage from us. I am still not clear how much is a dinner there... as one guy said one price, the other another... BE CLEAR when it comes to stating that you are not going to eat dinner there, as we were charged for a dinner we did not order and did not eat because they assumed we were going to eat there... NOT OKAY with this either...

Forget about privacy.. We were given a room on the main floor... Every time I used the toilet the sound would be echoed throughout the entire Riad. The air conditioning did not work properly...

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I confirmed my reservation at Riad la Caleche. When I arrived, the gentleman called someone else who came to meet me and bring me to another Riad, which they said was theirs also. It was Riad Oulaya, was closer to the main market square and absolutely gorgeous. Even though it was very close to the noisy square, it was quiet, serene, clean, had two terraces off my room and a basic continental breakfast. It was painted in beautiful colors as well. Once I came out the door, it was a two minute walk to the town square, which is crowded, noisy and full of energy.
The bad news- my room had two beds. I slept in one and woke up covered with bites. I slept in the other and was fine. I brought it to the managers attention and they offered to switch my room immediately, and threw away the mattress. What more could I ask for.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Pozzuoli, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Certainly not without hiccups, this riad was comfortable and pleasant. Outstanding service. Clean. Very inexpensive. Not a lap of luxury, but complete with kitchen that's available for guests. Great place to chill out in the evenings and detox from the souk vendors. Shisha in the evenings if you'd like. You can even have dinner there most nights.

Only downside is that the Athaan is not far and woke me up every morning. Same with a local rooster, which continued to crow for hours. Despite the lack of sleep, it really gave it a local and authentic feel.

Hassan and Yahya were great. Big thanks to them.

Room Tip: Perhaps away from the top floor or the mosque.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

A very nice place in the middle of the Medina where we stayed with my wife.
A good price/quality with a helpful staff.
They organised our transfer from the airport to the riad, and welcome us in the middle of the night.
We'll come back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

good things; Its a very nice and cozy house, a real Riad. the staff is very friendly and helpful, you can use the kitchen if you want to cook something. The breakfast is very simple nothing fancy and depending how many days you are staying it gets a bit boring. It's close to the main square and you walk through the souq (arabic market) so its nice you can see everything, Always someone to answer the door (I've heard people complaining about other Riads).

Bad things: It is not very easy to find, if you are coming with a lot of luggage or at night I DO recommend to request an airport or train station pick up, it's a bit overpriced, but they know the way so you don't get lost. INTERNET not all the rooms have a good reception, we had to go downstairs to use it. and the last thing is... I've send a lot of emails to the owners and they almost never replied (I had to call a couple of times). they try to send you to another Riad cause I think they own 3 or 4, but if you want to stay in this one you have to talk to them to make sure they won't overbook your room.

But that is it I do recommended, mainly if you are on a budget.

Room Tip: Ask the for the room with good internet reception!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Don't be put off by the random side alley and the entrance- this riad is super friendly and in a good location. The 2 owners couldn't do enough to make sure we had a lovely stay. Bathrooms are really big and clean. Air con and heating provided. A great place to stay.

• Stayed November 2013
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We arrived at the Riad well past midnight from the train station, and the hostel owner met us on a main square and walked us to the hostel. Courtyard and lobby area are absolutely beautiful. We instantly wished we could stay longer. The bathroom blew us away-- double sink, tub, roomy shower-- we agreed it was nicer than most American single family homes. Bedroom was spacious as well, though plug points are limited. In the morning, hostel owner woke up extra early to arrange a special breakfast before our tour was scheduled to leave and personally spoke to our guide to give him directions to the hostel. Fantastic experience overall

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Dar Lyna? Share your experiences!