If B&B is your thing then this is the place for you. But if you are looking for a 5 star accommodation this place is going to fall quite short of your expectations.
The good -
1. Spectacular property, the owner has maintained it very well, the decor in the main area is absolutely gorgeous.
2. Service was excellent although there was only one guy handling everything from being a bell boy to a waiter to a room service guy to a repairman. The guy that was there during our stay (forget his name) was extremely hardworking and even though he didn't know much English he would try real hard to communicate with us. Luckily my extremely limited knowledge of high-school french was good enough for us to understand each other eventually.
3. Very personalized service. We got there pretty late, close to midnight almost due to being stuck in a nasty traffic jam driving from fes but they had made arrangements to serve us dinner which was very nice of them. The next day we were out sight-seeing all day and late afternoon they called my driver (apparently the had taken his cell number the previous night) and asked whether we will be dining with them that night. You basically feel that you are a guest at someone's house. They make you feel completely at home.
4. The rooms are a decently large size and have a balcony that overlooks the gardens. Great place to have a morning cup of coffee. (We didn't do that since it was very cold when we were there).
5. Nothing like waking up to the sound of chirping birds which are aplenty in the property.
6. The pool area looked very nice but it was closed during winter. So summer is probably a good time to stay at this place.
The bad -
1. This is basically a Bed & Breakfast place but by no stretch of the imagination is it of a 5 star level. Perhaps a 3 & 1/2 star at best.
2. Its a 20 min car ride to the main square Jamaa El Fna. (This might be a good thing depending on your perspective).
3. The AC in the room was not being able to keep the room warm. Both nights that we were there we were freezing. My wife actually wore her winter jacket and slept the first night. The second night we asked for an extra comforter so that we could sleep warm. Even though the heater level on the AC was set to 30 degrees celsius the room temperature never went above 10-12 degrees celsius throughout the night. The room is probably not sealed very well so the heat is not being retained in the room or something. This is a big negative for this place.
4. There were no toiletries provided to speak of, only one big bottle of liquid soap and a similar sized bottle of shampoo. Lucky for us we always carry our own toiletries so we didn't have any problems.
5. The property is located in what looks like a residential area consisting of similar looking villas making it very hard to find especially at night. The property doesn't have any name displayed anywhere near the front gate so you have to call to find out exactly where they are. Luckily I had picked up a local sim card to use in Morroco and was able to call them from the taxi otherwise there was no way we would have found this place.
5. Check-out took a while since their credit card machine/network was not working and the transaction would keep failing. After 20-25 minutes of trying multiple times it eventually worked.
Closing comments -
Probably a perfect place to stay if you are into the B &B scene but if you are the type who prefers to stay only in a 5 star hotel then skip this property for sure. Also summer is probably a better time to come to this property, in winter this place is totally avoidable unless you like frigid conditions in your bedroom.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An exceptional site in the full heart of the Palmeraie, and at only 10 minutes of the effervescence of the Jamaa-el-Fna Place, our property is offering a wonderful park of one hectare of olive trees, fruit trees and palm trees. Around the swimming pool, all is calm and pleasure to relax and enjoy the delicate and discreat service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and HostelBookers so you can book your Villa Al Assala Palmeraie reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Al Assala Palmeraie Hotel Marrakech
- Al Assala Palmeraie Marrakech