“Charming and good value” 4 of 5 stars

Riad Jahan
44 Derb Lalla Chacha | Douar Groaua, Medina, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #99 of 188 Specialty Lodging in Marrakech
Guildford
“Charming and good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

My mother and I stayed for three nights in January 2011. We had Chambre Baracka which has a big bathroom. Although there is not much room to unpack there is a hanging cupboard in the bathroom. The beds are comfortable and we slept well. You can't hear the Mosque so it is only the birds that wake you!
The Housekeeper Hayatt and the staff are excellent . She speaks good English and is very helpful. Accept the offers of Green Tea! Breakfast was delicious.
The Riad is charmingly furnished and appropriate for the city. We enjoyed being on the Kasbah side of 'the big square' as it made access to the Palais Badii and Bahia easy. It was also a little less frantic than the Mouassine side.
We would recommend KosyBar for dinner. Silly name for a nice restaurant! Lovely food. 3 courses and wine for approx 700 Dirhams. Hayatt can direct you there!
Also Villa Flore. It is down the alley next to Restaurant Bourganvilla which is on the map. Again lovely food.
Recommendation: The first time you find Jemaa El Fna square, buy a map for 20 Dirhams from the Postcard seller across from the Marrakchi restaurant on the Square. It will help!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

To experience the 'real' Marrakesh then this is the only place you would want to stay...

From the very minute you step through the door you are overcome with a feeling of relaxation and pleasure... The riad is truly the perfect contrast to the busy markets and squares of the city and to return there after a day's exploring was truly amazing... The staff can never do enough for you and if you needed any more encouragement, I shall be returning as soon as possible...

Don't miss out on this gem, you'll regret it for sure

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2010

We celebrated our anniversary in Marrakech and the Atlas Mountains, a wonderful trip in both hotels we selected.Riad Jahan was really charming and intimate, home away from home with lovely hospitality.we got a great deal booking with the riad directly which was easy.

Our room was tastefully decorated and we got great night sleep only being woken by the birds in the morning.breakfast was delicous and generous which we had on the terrace, the evening meal was cooked perfectly by fatiyma.In fact when we compare our room to that of the Kasbah Tamadot there was little difference in the size yet the price was 3x more expensive. The bhou and terrace were perfect with a book after a haggling nightmare in the souks (much harder than i expected)

It was just luck we found riad jahan on the internet amongts hundreds of others.We had a wonderful stay and would recommend this riad to anyone looking for something unique and special in marrakech.It's also a good idea to get away from marrakech for a few days, the atlas mountains were spectacular and the berber people so warm.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

Spent one night in Riad Jahan but wanted to thank the staff for a very relaxing and enjoyable stay.The riad is intimate and beautifully renovated, my room had everything I needed and the terrace at night for my evening meal was just magical.I am hoping to come back very soon with my family. Marrakech was quite an adventure -I wouldn't advise people to go in ramadan!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

It is such a shame to have to write this negative review. We are definitely jealous of all of the other reviews which mention a fabulous experience. Unfortunately, out of all the places we stayed during 2.5 months of travel throughout Asia, North Africa and Europe, this rates as the absolute worst, by far!
Let me state from the outset that there were both good and bad aspects to the Riad. Also, that we paid the owners the courtesy of informing them of our experience, giving them the chance to respond and rectify matters before we wrote this review. Our stay was early June, we got an initial response in mid-June offering to investigate. It is now August and we have heard nothing since that initial response.
We chose Riad Jahan as a bit of a splurge, based mostly on the photos we saw and the reviews on this website. It certainly lives up to expectations in terms of appearances. It is a stunningly decorated house. In our experience, however, the beauty is only skin deep.
Our main concern was the poor service. Some days this could be attributed to communication difficulties - of the three staff, only one spoke English and she was rarely around. Other days we just felt the staff were abusing the fact that we were the only guests and they could do what they liked.
For example, we both suffered head colds during our stay and wanted to avoid using the airconditioning. So I trekked downstairs, eventually got the attention of the gentleman (they all seemed to live behind this little curtain and we had the devil's pwn job convincing them to come out). I tried, in French, to request the use of a fan to circulate the air. He tried and tried, but after a few minutes, it seemed he had not understood and/or could not provide a fan. I was so pleased that someone had tried to help, I did not mind at all that we didn't achieve our aim. Imagine my frustration, however, when he pulled aside the curtain to enter back into the service area and I saw the manageress sitting there. She (the English speaker) must have sat there the whole time listening to our desperate attempts to understand each other - but didn't think to come and sort it out using her invaluable English skills. I still can't believe she did that!
We are not princesses (I have camped my way across the African continent) and do not demand 5 star service. For instance, we don't mind if the beds are not made and the bins are not emptied. However, when we are the only guests and we go on a day-long excursion, we do hope that certain necessities, such as toilet paper, will be replenished. Having to go downstairs, try and find a staff member and then beg for toilet paper, using hand signals, is not one of my favourite memories.
Poor communication also led to a number of difficulties with our bill. Having paid up fromt for the entire cost of the stay (note to self - do not do that again, it leaves you nowhere to go if you are unhappy) we were quite shocked to see a number of extras on our bill. For instance, mint tea is quoted as being free. Black tea, it seems, is not! One evening, we were just too tired and ill to go out. The gentleman who works there took pity on us and offered us board games and a cup of tea. My travel companion does not even drink tea, but we were so pleased at the small kindness that we both accepted. Only to find, a few days later, that we paid royally for the privilege.
Things got so bad in the end that we paid a fortune to change our flights and escape a few days early to our next destination. As a well-seasoned traveller, that was a first for me.
Even then our escape plans nearly fell apart. Despite booking a taxi a few days earlier, it didn't arrive. It took 10 minutes of screaming phone calls from the two female staff before anyone bothered to explain to us what was going on. Eventually we were informed that there had been a delay, but that he was on his way. We suspect they forgot to book, judging by the guilty looks on their faces and the alternate screaming and pleading that we heard.
Then the credit card machine wouldn't work and cash was requested for all the 'extras'. We were leaving Morocco that day and had used up our Dirhams and did not have time to find a functioning ATM (a thing of rarity in Marrakech) AS WELL AS get to the airport. The manageress then kindly arranged for a written invoice. Even that kindness had a sting in its tail - she had told me there would be a 3% fee for using a credit card. Imagine my surprise to find the form she gave me mentioning only 2%. None of my subsequent enquiries have revealed where that extra 1% goes ....
I'm afraid we were caught out by Riad Jahan. We paid way too much for a bit of tinsel and glitter, with no real service.
We certainly hope anyone staying there in the future has a better time than we did.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

Just returned from a 50th birthday trip with family and friends. Our stay here has been amazing. Our host Hayatt has cared for us as honoured family guests. We have been pampered and thoroughly enjoyed our time in Marrakesh. Her directions around the Medina were spot on and it does'nt take long to find your way around. The smells and haggling experience in the souks was great. For food we enjoyed Kosybar as recommended by Amy. We also enjoyed a day out with Hameed from Marrakesh by air, his enthusiasm for Morrocco will never leave us. Neither will I forget the hotair ballon trip or the camel ride. ,

• Stayed March 2010
sammy4558
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

I just wanted to drop a line to thank the staff of the riad - especially Siobhan for a really wonderful stay, the help and advice before we even arrived at the riad was invaluable and the daily tips from the Manager really made our stay a special one. Marrakech is a busy and sometimes difficult place to get around, and quite exhausting -coming back to the riad was like therapy.

My room was lovely with simple clean lines and an overall calming feel, the rest of the riad was lovely, the terrace was always sunny. We enjoyed a massage during our stay as well as a trip to the mountains which the riad organised.

Just be careful of the street hagglers who always want to help and just end up hassling you for money, just get a good map!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Jahan? Share your experiences!