“Experiencing the contrasts of Marrakech!!” 5 of 5 stars

Riad Noir d'Ivoire
31, Derb jdid Bab Doukkala 44.000, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #2 of 481 Hotels in Marrakech
Greece
“Experiencing the contrasts of Marrakech!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

We spend 5 nights at the Riad from 6th - 11th of June 2009. The Riad is beautifully decorated and the owner, Jill with her personnel, work effortlessly to make sure guests take the most out of the hotel and of Marrakech (restaurants, shopping, sight-seeing etc etc). We stayed at a standard room which is very nicely furbished, but a little small. What is amazing about this Riad is its location. It is situated inside Old Marrakech (Medina) and in order to get to the hotel, one has to walk through some very picturesque alleys that make you feel medieval but are safe otherwise. Then the Riad's door opens and you find yourself pampered in luxury. A true hidden gem, an oasis. It is a great option if you want to stay in the Medina. and not the more "European" side of the new city.
Overall this Riad deserves all 5 stars.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Polish first
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2009

A friend and I were directed to Noir d'Ivoire through Mr & Mrs Smith, a boutique luxury hotel site that told us that it was the best of the bunch in the center of Marrakech. Before arrival, my friend corresponded with the proprietor, Jill, who was incredibly available and helpful with information, suggestions and reservations.

This was my first trip to Morocco and I did not know what to expect but was pretty much blown away with the service, amenities, care and kindness we received at Noir d'Ivoire.

Upon arrival, Jill and the manager Damien made sure I was comfortable and had all the information I needed on the hotel, the area, etc. They were incredible with restaurant recommendations, shopping suggestions, directions, etc. They assured me that it was fine to walk around the area alone, gave great directions and had someone available to walk me back to the hotel the first couple of times. My favorite amenity is the mobile phone handed to me for the duration of my stay with all hotel staff numbers programmed in!

I cannot say enough wonderful things about the hotel and all of it's amenities: first off, it is gorgeous - an understated oasis with low key elegance that is super comfortable. The spa is incredible as is the hammam. Treatments were spectacular. The hotel gift shop had by far the most beautiful and unique items that I saw while in Marrakech. And breakfast was copious and delicious with fresh juice, fruits and homemade pancakes and eggs.

I felt very at home and comfortable at Noir d'Ivoire. Laying by the pool was tranquil and luxurious, particularly when I was having a fresh smoothie delivered to me by one of the lovely staff. The rooftop was a fantastic spot for breakfast, snack or late afternoon sun, and the several sitting areas around the hotel were private and cozy.

I cannot wait to get back to Marrakech and particularly to Noir d'Ivoire. I travel quite a bit and find that this riad just knows how to do everything right!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

My stay here at the Noir D'Ivoire was wonderful! My husband and I arrived for a long weekend to celebrate our anniversary and must say they fulfilled any needs I had! When we first arrived, we were warmly greeted. Gill and all the staff were extremely helpful. The room was so comfortable with some flair to it yet a bit noisy. The bathroom was surprisingly big and had some great toiletries! We were in and out of the hotel the entire weekend, but every time we left or entered, someone was always there to greet us with a smile!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

This establishment is as close to flawless as we have experienced. With all the amazing riads in Marrakech we'd love to try, there is no doubt we would book the Noir D'Ivoire immediately if/when we return to Marrakech.

My wife and I visited for 5 nights during Christmas 2008 (only sign of Christmas in Marrakech was a lone tree in one of the seating areas, but this was fine by us!). We easily could have stayed another week and not gotten bored. The combination of walking, shopping, getting lost, dodging motorcycles, and recovering happily back at Noir D'Ivoire was something we could have repeated for a long time...

We stayed in the Suite Geupard - a suite for which we had no pictures to go by (not a risk I'm generally used to taking, but the other suite pictures plus room description from Damien/Jill were enough to put my mind at ease). We could not have imagined a more perfect room, and we loved that it was tucked back at the far end of the pool, somewhat removed from much of the rest of the Riad. The room had a cool layout, amazing decor, and of course the rooftop jacuzzi could simply not have been more amazing. Let me tell you, lounging in a jacuzzi while sipping champagne and listening to a nearby call to prayer is just very surreal (in a good way).

The only VERY minor problem we had there was not plentiful hot water. I believe being there "off season" (I mean, if you consider 55-60F and bright sun all day off season, which we in Boston do not) made it harder for the jacuzzi to warm up on the roof (didn't get direct sun due to a canopy). And sometimes water would not get warm enough to take a long shower. But please do NOT let something like this discourage you.

The staff, led by the manager Damien (Jill was not really around during the Christmas holiday) is simply fantastic. Damien is a real treasure as he knows tons about the city, where to visit/shop/eat, etc, and is extremely friendly and accommodating. The staff would bring us food/drink anytime we asked and happily run back and forth from kitchen to room for the smallest of items. They lit fires for us each day/night (particularly fun that time of year in Marrakech as evenings got cool). We must have had gallons of mint tea, and they never tired of serving it. We found the food at the Riad to be as good or better than many places we experienced eating elsewhere.

I could go on forever about the hotel decor, Marrakech, etc, but I'll sum it up by saying it's all very special and very memorable. Noir D'Ivoire is a perfect place to explore this part of the world while still experiencing luxury. Do not miss it if you get the opportunity!!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
coventry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2009

Pros: Great Location. Helpful and friendly staff, discrete but very efficient. Hi quality accommodation. Room size and comfort. Free wifi. Good value.
Cons: A limited restaurant menu. Street noise.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

Riad Noir D’Ivoire was luxurious and comfortable. We were only in Marrakech for two nights, but it had a very convenient location to get to major attractions in Marrakech. My wife and I enjoyed our stay. We loved sitting on roof terrace sipping on mint tea after a long day in the medina. Anything you need just ask Damian or Jill, they know Marrakech very well and are eager to help. The rest of the staff are also very nice and they seem to be very happy and are always smiling and their good mood is contagious. Price-wise a good value but not a great value.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

My husband's 40th birthday could not have been any more special, thanks to Gill and her incredible team. It's hard to describe how spectacular the riad is - and yet how totally chilled, relaxed and welcoming. Gill and Damian made sure the birthday was unforgettable by organising champagne and happy birthday (with a little cake) at breakfast, served on the gorgeous roof terrace. In the evening, they'd booked us dinner at a fantastic restaurant where he was again seranaded and even given a little present. In many years of travelling, I have never seen levels of dedication to their guests to match theirs. If you're going there, you will be absolutely wowed. Enjoy every minute!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple