“The location is horrific” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Noir d'Ivoire

We can't find prices for this hotel
Riad Noir d'Ivoire
Save Saved
You added Riad Noir d'Ivoire to your Saves list
31, Derb jdid Bab Doukkala 44.000, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #2 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
“The location is horrific”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

I hated this place and after 4 nights, i totally regretted not booking a place in new town and commuting to the medina like most people do. Granted the servers are really nice, but they are the only redeeming quality of this riad.. It is a total rip-off. The hotels in new town are much nicer and way cheaper and closer to the decent restaurants. "Mama" their chef isn't any good, and their food and drink is totally over priced. Rebecca will be right up your grill recommending places in the atlas mountains where she likely gets a cut - I didn't like her at all. The worst part is the location of the riad- you need a map getting in and out of the place. And no cab can take you there. And when you get lost you're like a hostage. Its the worse and it happened to us. The riad has this cab driver mohammed, and its a total scam. You are beholden to him to get anywhere bc the location is so obscure. We called him for directions with arabic speaking friends and he wouldn't tell us how to get back there without meeting him and paying him.. Skip this place.Unless you fancy walking by a trash heap daily and homeless people begging in the middle of complete, dirty chaos. Stray cats everywhere. It is gross. I have been to Morocco before and there is no way upscale Moroccans would stay at this place. Never.

• Stayed August 2013

853 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

So I travel a good deal and have stayed in some glorious places, but this riad is something special. I was there with my husband on our honeymoon; we had wanted to splurge a little given that it was our honeymoon, so our initial plan was to stay at La Mamounia. However,we ultimately decided that we wanted something in the medina and more intimate so chose Riad Noir d'Ivoire. I am so glad that we did; this hotel was the highlight of our trip.

So the riad itself should be featured in Architectural Digest, the food was better than anywhere else we ate, and the staff was the friendliest and most accommodating group of individuals I have EVER encountered. But what really makes this place special is that the the owner has made it feel like your own private riad, with your own private staff, and you feel like a queen (or king) while there. Every detail had been thought of from a personal cell phone that is given to you upon check-in to scrumptious treats and bathrobes in the rooms. You can swim in the heated pool anytime of day or night, and I highly recommend the hammam. I am still scratching my head as to why I have not heard of this place before! Really, I cannot encourage you enough to stay here. Not only will you not regret it, but you will want to go back again and again!!

Room Tip: The Guepard room is unbelievable - most amazing suite I have ever stayed in.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

In October I took a week break from my work and decided to go to Marrakech on my own. To date it was one of the best vacations I have ever had. The riad was a complete oasis, quitely tucked away from the hustle and bustle of the old city. The accomadation was beautiful. The food was absolutely delicious, and I found the staff to be attentive and very friendly. I could venture out into the craziness of the old town, or the Atlas mountains, and come back to the relaxing and beautiful riad. Perfect trip!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights earlier this month at Riad Noir d'Ivoire at the very end of a 9 day honeymoon through Morocco. We're glad to chose to end our honeymoon at Riad Noir d'Ivoire because it would have been hard to stay anywhere else after our fantastic, magical experience there. A few highlights:

BOOKING: We contacted the Riad through the website and were able to quickly and easily confirm our booking with Rebeca, who was courteous and prompt in her communications. (Other reviewers who had negative experiences must have had email problems on their end.)

SERVICE: The Riad staff took great pains to make us feel at home, from ensuring they were present to greet us upon arrival in the nearby city square, to walking us through the windy street at night, to serving us champagne upon arrival, to leaving flowers on our floor to make us feel like honeymooners, to always being available when we had a question or need. In short, I've never felt more at home anywhere I've stayed and I've traveled significantly.

ACCOMMODATIONS: The Riad is stunning and full of beautiful nooks and crannies begging to be explored and enjoyed. Each room is a masterpiece, decorated with loving care and a careful eye. The recent expansion and addition of a clear covering over the Winter Courtyard has taken the Riad to a whole other level. (Other reviewers who called the Riad "corporate" or "tired" or "lacking in charm" clearly have some sort of personal axe to grind --- the Riad is sumptious and captivating). The heated outdoor pool flanked by a wall of waterfalls in the Summer Courtyard will make you feel like you've been transported to your own personal hideaway.

FOOD: Although there's several terrific restaurants nearby, my wife and I ended up eating several meals at the Riad because of the quality of the food, the warmth of the staff, and the desire to soak up more of the peace and beauty of our surroundings. Every meal was delicious and reflected the best of Moroccan cuisine.

SPA: My wife and I availed ourselves of the on-site hammon (bath) and massage and were extremely pleased. The facilities were spotless and the staff absolutely terrific.

LOCATION: The Riad is located off a winding side alley, almost like a Moroccan speakeasy. My wife and I felt safe during our entire stay and the staff was always available to guide us to/from the Riad when we felt a little extra company was desired. Everything that one would want to see in Old Marrakech was within walking distance from the Riad.

In short, I give Riad Noir d'Invoire my highest recommendation. My wife and I had considered staying at La Momounia and were glad we didn't. We'll be back and look forward to enjoying more of the calm, charm, and considerate service that made our first stay at this retreat magical.

Room Tip: Try the Guerpard Room. It has its own internal staircase that leads to a rooftop oasis.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

Great holidays in this place that i'll keep in mind . I loved almost everything but the most unique things were the meals . I highly recommend it for people's looking for romantic feelings and calm it's by the way realy magic, can't wait to go back as soon as i'll habe the oportunity .
Prices are a bit high but it's nothing to the benefits you'll get from there and again you'll fall in love with the meals it's a mindfreak and delicious stuff .

• Stayed October 2013
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there with my boyfriend for 3 days which was an amazing experience. It was so romantic and peaceful, like a little paradise apart from the rest of the world. Everything for breakfast was freshly made with so many different choices. We were served like a queen and a king. It was a small hotel but they offered so many different common areas we can hang around or have our meals. Definitely will go back soon to chill out!

• Stayed November 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

I stayed at the Riad with my mother, for three nights, in October. The booking process was simple and I genuinely felt that Rebecca and Afaf were looking forward to meeting us. We were picked up from the airport by our courteous driver Mohammad and then met by Cous Cous the donkey and Hannah nearer the Riad. Afaf greeted us so warmly, it felt like we were staying with family. The riad is beautiful and our room, gazelle, although the lowest in price, was well appointed and comfortable.

Afaf helped us plan a wonderful stay... From highlighting the top sight-seeing and food spots in Marrakech, organising our excellent day trip to The Atlas Mountains, to constantly reassuring us that if we got lost in the souks, the hotel staff would come and find us. Having a hotel mobile gave us piece of mind throughout our stay.

The Hammam is a distinctive and essential experience and we both enjoyed our massages with Madam Coco. The riad really is a wonderful place to rest after a day out and we were always greeted with such warmth and affection on our returns and fabulous cups of tea.

Food is freshly prepared and we enjoyed our one meal in the Riad and silver service breakfast by the pool was a daily treat.

Thank you very much to Afaf and her team. My mother and I had a great time and I would not hesitate to recommend the Riad.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Riad Noir d'Ivoire? Share your experiences!