“Book with confidence!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Noir d'Ivoire

We can't find prices for this hotel
Riad Noir d'Ivoire
You added Riad Noir d'Ivoire to your Saves list
31, Derb jdid Bab Doukkala 44.000, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #2 of 463 Hotels in Marrakech
gloucestershire, uk
“Book with confidence!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

We just couldn't decide between this Riad and one other, so we ended up booking both and splitting our holiday into two destinations....and I'm SO glad we did!

Firstly, I'd like to thank all the previous reviewers, without whom I wouldn't have booked with confidence. It's all true, this place is a palace with service second to none.

I have never stayed in such beautiful rooms - huge, luxurious, the pictures that have been posted here can be trusted. I don't need to add to them as they don't exagerate how amazing these rooms are.

Jill, Damien and their friendly team were super hosts (not intrusive in case you are worrying) - each day we were asked where we'd like to go and they not only organised us some (legendary!!) nights out, but gave us a mobile phone so we could call them and our driver at any point. We felt safe as houses.

We were 3 ladies looking for fun and relaxation, and this place offered it all. Quite the most romantic spot I've ever been to. Ideal for honeymooners.

Great food, our own hot-tubs (where incredible cocktails can be delivered by picking up a phone!), superb spot...we can't wait to go back.

The only, small, downside compared to our previous hotel was the cold pool which is on the small side (but never busy), but the chic interior and sheer luxury more than made up for that. We felt like princesses and came home happy campers!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Polish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

What an incredible place, I can't rave about it enough! From the minute we walked through the door we were received with flutes of champagne and the experience just got better and better. Not only is the Riad incredibly beautiful, the staff and overall service unsurpassed but the atmosphere is so soothing and sophisticated I never wanted to leave! I will definitely go back!

Room Tip: Each room is unique but I really loved the Chamea
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
CUMBRIA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

late leaving this but have to say, :-
1. the riad Noir d'lvoire is not missable, words cannot express
2. the staff are out of this world, nothing is a trouble
3. the ambience is just perfect
4. Marrakech is SAFE, never once felt threatened, just friendly banter - no problem
5. walked round freely everynight to very late, no probs
6. hotel food is good quality
7. save a nite for trip to see the bely dancers - see damien!!! well worth it
8. treatment in the riad are excellent value and of good quality
9. down to earth lady with solid values and very approchable for a yorkshire lass
10. the best though..................Damien!!! fabulous, friendly and invaluable on the visit. he just took over out time there and you no what? he made it perfect!!!
this is one place I WILL return to. moral is dont be put off by others, you will enjoy!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

Firstly The Riad - From the moment we were collected at the Airport by Mohammed (arranged by the Riad) we knew we were in safe hands. Staff from the Riad met us in the small market near to the Riad and carried our bags whilst we took in the atmosphere.
Jill and Damien greeted us warmly in Reception - we were blown away with the Riad - In one word PARADISE. It never failed to impress us for the 5 days that we were there. The staff worked tirelessly to meet your needs and ensure that your stay is one of the best you will experience.
THE ROOMS - We stayed in the Zebra Room with its own private Terrace with Jacuzzi. If you can stretch to this extravagance then its well worth it. The Riad is furnished to a high standard and ALL the staff work so hard to maintain the high standards.
STAFF - Jill and Damien are wonderful hosts - so knowledgeable, personable and will go to great lengths to ensure your stay with them is perfect.
We met most of the staff whilst we were there and although we didnt get to know all their names they treated us with so much respect and went out of their way to help and assist us. Ali and Aziz stood out for us - so lovely and to all the staff we thank you all for your service and for making us feel so safe. The staff will guide you to any destination into town - bank, Souks, The square etc. We especially appreciated this after a late night out a restaurant.
Health Treatments - Plenty available by highly trained staff at the Riad and we both had exhilarating Hammams, massage and reflexology - totally chilled us out for the day!

Marrakech - makes all your senses come alive - its fun, busy, colourful, mopeds, bikes everywhere!!! Just get ready to be nimble on your feet! We never felt pressurised by shop owners - yes they will ask you to come into their shops but if you dont want to you just walk on by. Traffic is crazy and there doesnt seem to be any rules but you quickly realise that you just need to be more vigilant and you will be fine.

FOOD - There are some lovely traditional restaurants and Damien and Jill will give you lots of recommendations. We tasted many a good Tagine meal.
The Riad's breakfasts were plentiful and kept us going all day. Latifah (cook) will make you a lovely evening meal and the food was always beautifully presented - and they were reasonably priced.

One of our best experiences was a day trip to the Atlas Mountains which was arranged by Jill and Damien. We were met by the local guide - Latifah who lived in the Berber village. She was knowledgable and a wonderful guide. She took us to see the locals who showed us how they made a living - Tagine maker - Saf even made a tagine! We met a lovely family who willingly cooked us some traditional bread and provided us with tea. They also offered to paint my hands with Henna - beautiful. Very humble people who made us feel so welcome.

I could go on and on and on!! We will be returning next year without a doubt - we feel Marrakech holds a special place in our hearts and EVERYONE at the Riad Noir D'Ivorie made this holiday so special for us.

Johanna and Saf - Manchester UK

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

My wife and I stayed for 4 nights early/mid May for my 40th birthday, shortly after the incident in “The Square”.

I have to say, the first night I didn’t really get it. We’d arrived late in the evening, the trip from the airport to the riad was well organised for us and ran very smoothly, we were certainly given a nice enough welcome and shown around. We took dinner there as we knew it’d be a bit last minute for us to venture out into the medina at the time we were arriving. We retired to our room, where my Wife had treated us to the camel room. Sure the riad looked superb, our room was fantastic and the service was good, but really was it all €380 a night good?

Anyway, I have to say after the first night I really started to change my mind … a lot. Maybe the night before had been too brief, or just the hassle of a Ryan Air flight but from the morning onwards we soon slipped into the swing of things and as the staff in the Riad started to learn how we liked things and what we wanted from our stay we soon found that everything happened quietly in the background for us so that our stay went as smooth as it possibly could have without us having to think or worry about anything.

All the staff were fantastic, I don’t think I could have asked for any better service and they were always there when you needed them but never when you didn’t. Jill and Damion as “hosts” were second to none in my experience (of several high end boutique hotels). They just knew everything we were doing and in the background checked that everything was still going ahead with where we were going and checking that people were expecting us. On one day where a balloon trip was cancelled for us and our friends (staying at another Riad), Jill very quickly quizzed us on our likes and dislikes, then tailor made what was possibly a better trip for all of us, using trusted drivers and guides that they knew from experience would make the day trip fantastic.

I’m sure as everyone has heard of horror stories in the back streets of the medina, getting lost and being pestered by “urchins” ;) However worry not here, staff will always be on hand to walk you pretty much anywhere you needed and the safety net of a riad mobile phone gives you far more confidence to go off and do more exploring by yourself. You quickly learn that actually you don’t need either.

We had originally wanted one of the top end rooms with the roof terrace, however they were all booked – very far in advance. We ended up in the camel room (Chameau), which actually probably worked out better for us. We really wouldn’t have made enough use of the roof terrace facilities. The Camel room was superb, very large and very well appointed. Extremely quiet, certainly no noise from the medina and could barely hear anything from within the riad itself. Also the free WiFi worked well in that room and I’m not sure it did in others; very good for making arrangements with friends over skype or just contact your sister over facetime to show off your luxury room ;) Our final day we were leaving quite late, the Riad arranged for us to borrow another room in the afternoon (Touterlles iirc), and although very nice (and most importantly, exactly the same awesome service from the Riad), it was quite small and I could definitely see that you would get noise from the outside world in this one.

The Riad’s food is good, but nothing to get extremely excited about. It’s clear to see why, in that few guests appear to eat there and they don’t open up the riad to the outside to come and eat like many others do so I doubt there’s the turn over to provide many options. In my opinion, a brilliant policy not opening up to non-residents on their part though as it would bring noise and destroy the homely atmosphere of the Riad. Just round the corner, about 4 minutes’ walk away, is the Riad Kniza which I can’t recommend enough to go out and eat at. Fantastic food, fabulous services and traditional surroundings that should see it soon have reviews as good as Riad Noir D'Ivoire – book ahead though, as you need to pre-order your main so it’s cooked properly from scratch.

Marrakech is a great city to experience, and I had one of my most memorable breaks away there ever! Much of this was due to the Riad Noir D'Ivoire and their staff. I think I’ve seen all I really need to of Marrakech though, but I might just return at one point in the future just to stay at Riad Noir D'Ivoire again and pamper myself.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

The minute I walked in this Riad...I knew I was going to have a very very special time. This is the third time I have stayed here, and I can not recommend it enough. The ambience, the decor, the staff are beyond amazing. The riad itself deffinitly has the WOW factor....the staff are so attentive. And Gill and Damien are incredibly welcoming and make each guest feel so special. If you are considering visiting this Riad....dont think about any longer. Book it!!!!! Its incredible I could stay there for days and feel no need to leave the building. Thankyou Gill, Damien and all of the staff for giving me the most beautiful experience.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

I can only endorse the positive comments and commendations that have been lauded upon Riad Noir D’Ivoire by previous contributors. Put simply, Riad Noir D’Ivoire is in a class of its own when it comes to riads in the Medina for warm hospitality, style, quality, service, tranquility and location. It’s not just a place to crash, its place to hang, chill, chat and sip. The Riad itself is a magnificent achievement, all credit to Jill whose (no doubt) blood, sweat, toil and tears went into the project – 6000 donkey loads of rubble … need I say more! There is nothing contrived or show housey about Noir D’Ivoire, it is very tastefully decorated; elegant but relaxed and very much a reflection of its owner’s personality, charm and long established affinity to Africa. The Riad is generously spacious with beautiful inside and outside courtyards and many nooks and alcoves in which to take breakfast, have dinner, read or sunbath – unlike many riads which appear deceptively large on the web only to arrive in Lilliput; not so here. Jill and the marvellous Damian, are also true Marrakech insiders and very discerning; once they have the measure of you, they won't see you wrong. We had a ball! Marrakech is a fab and fun city, whether its for shopping, dining, partying, adventure, dressing-up / dressing down or, simply, chilling. Marrakech is also a very safe and welcoming city and people should not be deterred from visiting by the recent al queda bombing which is not a reflection of local sentiment and could just as easily have been NY or Paris. The neighbourhood around Noir D’Ivoire is particularly nice and benefits also from being close to cosmopolitan new city. Many thanks Jill, Damian, our donkey chauffeur “Couscous” and all the wonderful staff at Noir D’Ivoire, we look forward to returning before too long.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Noir d'Ivoire? Share your experiences!