“Can't rate this boutique hotel highly enough” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Noir d'Ivoire

We can't find prices for this hotel
Riad Noir d'Ivoire
Save Saved
You added Riad Noir d'Ivoire to your Saves list
31, Derb jdid Bab Doukkala 44.000, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #1 of 462 Hotels in Marrakech
London
“Can't rate this boutique hotel highly enough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

My wife and I stayed for 4 nights early/mid May for my 40th birthday, shortly after the incident in “The Square”.

I have to say, the first night I didn’t really get it. We’d arrived late in the evening, the trip from the airport to the riad was well organised for us and ran very smoothly, we were certainly given a nice enough welcome and shown around. We took dinner there as we knew it’d be a bit last minute for us to venture out into the medina at the time we were arriving. We retired to our room, where my Wife had treated us to the camel room. Sure the riad looked superb, our room was fantastic and the service was good, but really was it all €380 a night good?

Anyway, I have to say after the first night I really started to change my mind … a lot. Maybe the night before had been too brief, or just the hassle of a Ryan Air flight but from the morning onwards we soon slipped into the swing of things and as the staff in the Riad started to learn how we liked things and what we wanted from our stay we soon found that everything happened quietly in the background for us so that our stay went as smooth as it possibly could have without us having to think or worry about anything.

All the staff were fantastic, I don’t think I could have asked for any better service and they were always there when you needed them but never when you didn’t. Jill and Damion as “hosts” were second to none in my experience (of several high end boutique hotels). They just knew everything we were doing and in the background checked that everything was still going ahead with where we were going and checking that people were expecting us. On one day where a balloon trip was cancelled for us and our friends (staying at another Riad), Jill very quickly quizzed us on our likes and dislikes, then tailor made what was possibly a better trip for all of us, using trusted drivers and guides that they knew from experience would make the day trip fantastic.

I’m sure as everyone has heard of horror stories in the back streets of the medina, getting lost and being pestered by “urchins” ;) However worry not here, staff will always be on hand to walk you pretty much anywhere you needed and the safety net of a riad mobile phone gives you far more confidence to go off and do more exploring by yourself. You quickly learn that actually you don’t need either.

We had originally wanted one of the top end rooms with the roof terrace, however they were all booked – very far in advance. We ended up in the camel room (Chameau), which actually probably worked out better for us. We really wouldn’t have made enough use of the roof terrace facilities. The Camel room was superb, very large and very well appointed. Extremely quiet, certainly no noise from the medina and could barely hear anything from within the riad itself. Also the free WiFi worked well in that room and I’m not sure it did in others; very good for making arrangements with friends over skype or just contact your sister over facetime to show off your luxury room ;) Our final day we were leaving quite late, the Riad arranged for us to borrow another room in the afternoon (Touterlles iirc), and although very nice (and most importantly, exactly the same awesome service from the Riad), it was quite small and I could definitely see that you would get noise from the outside world in this one.

The Riad’s food is good, but nothing to get extremely excited about. It’s clear to see why, in that few guests appear to eat there and they don’t open up the riad to the outside to come and eat like many others do so I doubt there’s the turn over to provide many options. In my opinion, a brilliant policy not opening up to non-residents on their part though as it would bring noise and destroy the homely atmosphere of the Riad. Just round the corner, about 4 minutes’ walk away, is the Riad Kniza which I can’t recommend enough to go out and eat at. Fantastic food, fabulous services and traditional surroundings that should see it soon have reviews as good as Riad Noir D'Ivoire – book ahead though, as you need to pre-order your main so it’s cooked properly from scratch.

Marrakech is a great city to experience, and I had one of my most memorable breaks away there ever! Much of this was due to the Riad Noir D'Ivoire and their staff. I think I’ve seen all I really need to of Marrakech though, but I might just return at one point in the future just to stay at Riad Noir D'Ivoire again and pamper myself.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Polish first
Sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

The minute I walked in this Riad...I knew I was going to have a very very special time. This is the third time I have stayed here, and I can not recommend it enough. The ambience, the decor, the staff are beyond amazing. The riad itself deffinitly has the WOW factor....the staff are so attentive. And Gill and Damien are incredibly welcoming and make each guest feel so special. If you are considering visiting this Riad....dont think about any longer. Book it!!!!! Its incredible I could stay there for days and feel no need to leave the building. Thankyou Gill, Damien and all of the staff for giving me the most beautiful experience.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

I can only endorse the positive comments and commendations that have been lauded upon Riad Noir D’Ivoire by previous contributors. Put simply, Riad Noir D’Ivoire is in a class of its own when it comes to riads in the Medina for warm hospitality, style, quality, service, tranquility and location. It’s not just a place to crash, its place to hang, chill, chat and sip. The Riad itself is a magnificent achievement, all credit to Jill whose (no doubt) blood, sweat, toil and tears went into the project – 6000 donkey loads of rubble … need I say more! There is nothing contrived or show housey about Noir D’Ivoire, it is very tastefully decorated; elegant but relaxed and very much a reflection of its owner’s personality, charm and long established affinity to Africa. The Riad is generously spacious with beautiful inside and outside courtyards and many nooks and alcoves in which to take breakfast, have dinner, read or sunbath – unlike many riads which appear deceptively large on the web only to arrive in Lilliput; not so here. Jill and the marvellous Damian, are also true Marrakech insiders and very discerning; once they have the measure of you, they won't see you wrong. We had a ball! Marrakech is a fab and fun city, whether its for shopping, dining, partying, adventure, dressing-up / dressing down or, simply, chilling. Marrakech is also a very safe and welcoming city and people should not be deterred from visiting by the recent al queda bombing which is not a reflection of local sentiment and could just as easily have been NY or Paris. The neighbourhood around Noir D’Ivoire is particularly nice and benefits also from being close to cosmopolitan new city. Many thanks Jill, Damian, our donkey chauffeur “Couscous” and all the wonderful staff at Noir D’Ivoire, we look forward to returning before too long.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

This is a very stylish hotel with an extremely relaxed atmosphere. We stayed for 4 nights for our honeymoon and were not disappointed! The service was extremely good and all of the staff so very friendly. The positive comments from previous customers are well diserved and I am not sure we have much more to add!! A beautiful place to stay that we can highly recommend.
The hotel is down some back streets so not great to go out for the night in heels as you have to go through them to get to the main street and a cab. The only other issue for guests to note is that there are many cats around the hotel which do have the run of the place; friendly though they were.

Room Tip: Apparenly all rooms are very beautiful
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

The Riad is beautifully decorated and has a sense of much needed and welcome calm about it. The team of Jill and Damion are super helpful and gave some well tailored advice on what to do in Marrakech. We stayed in the Tigere Suite, the best room in the Riad and it was lovely although on the pricey side - make sure you like cats if you want to enjoy the private sun terrace, in fact the whole Riad.
Overall we were very happy with our stay but with 2 complaints - the are no price lists anywhere in the room or the Riad and due to the price, I assumed drinks were included in the price of the room - they were not!!
Also, I told them a number of times we were coming to celebrate my 10 year wedding anniversary and I was disappointed they made no effort to help us celebrate it with a romantic gesture like some flowers, a glass of champagne or some chocolates...

Tokyo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

We were supposed to stay at Chameau, but Jill kindly upgraded our room to Guepard which was a very nice room with private area including stairs to terrace and jacuzzi.
We tried Hammam and massge in the Riad. It was much better than another place. Also it was very relaxing that we could just go to Hammam with our bathrobe and go back to our bed right after the spa.
All the staff were very well-trained and we could trust them so well that we didn't even lock our door at all.
We didn't really like the city since it was just noisy and people were sometimes too much, but when we came back to the Riad, it was totally different from what was going on outside and we could just relax. So we would recommend to stay in the nice Riad like here when you go to Marrakech.
When we came back from touring the city, the staff would nicely offer us mint tea or orange juice so we gladly accepted it. However, we later found out that they were all charged so you might want to be aware of it. This is why we rated this hotel as 'very good'. The atmosphere of the Riad and the quality of staff, especially Jill and Damien were of course 'excellent'.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

We spent four nights at the Riad and had a wonderful time. Since we went less than a week after the bombing in Marrakech, we had actually asked ourselves if it was a good idea to go - but we are so glad we did. The Riad is in the Medina, a 10-15 minute walk of the central place. The rooms and common areas are beautifully designed, the staff is super-friendly and helpful. We used the spa for a hamam treatment - we would recommend it to everyone, it was such a relaxing and fun experience. Jill and Damien, who run the hotel, have helped us every day with great advice for things to see and do, with a booking for a trip into the atlas mountains, and with restaurant reservations. In short, I am sure we will be back.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Noir d'Ivoire? Share your experiences!