We have just returned from a weekend break in Marrakech and I chose Riad Noir D'Ivoire after reading the glowing reviews here on TripAdvisor. As the previous reviews stated, it didn't disappoint. The riad is situated in the medina, within the old city walls and it is an easy walk to the souks and Djema al Fna, the main square. It is in a residential area with local shops, and walking through the area provides an interesting peek into the lives of the locals.
We arrived on Friday evening, were met at the airport by a driver even though I had given Jill a later arrival time, an error on my part. We were at the carpark near the riad in 20 minutes, where we were met by some of the staff and our luggage was carted through the winding lanes to the riad. There we were met at the door by Damien, who offered us drinks and showed us to our room, the Cameleon suite, which was beautifully decorated and had a very comfy bed. As it was late and raining (unusual for Marrakech), we ate dinner in that night, with a starter of briouettes, a main of chicken tagine and dessert of poached pear.
We met Jill the next morning and she is such an interesting person to talk to. Her personality is stamped all over the place and she has created a wonderful place in a city that can be frustrating and hectic for some.
Damien's instructions and tips on where to go were extremely clear and helpful and although we lost ourselves in the souks, we were still able to find our way back to the riad by picking out the landmarks pointed out by one of the staff who escorted us out on the first day. We were offered a phone in case we got lost, which we didn't take but it is a very practical gesture. We also felt safe walking around at night, although the laneways were quieter, but still well lit.
The riad has two courtyards, and we enjoyed sitting out in one on the Saturday night with a bottle of Champagne, enjoying the peace and quiet that London doesn't always offer. Additionally, the roof terrace was the perfect place to have the delicious Continental breakfast of fruit, yoghurt, toast and pastries. Wifi is available in the common areas but you won't be using it much, there's too much else to do.
One point I would like to make is that my partner and I are very independent travellers, very self-sufficient and like time to ourselves. Whilst we had wonderful service and spent time talking to Jill and Damien, we also had a lot of time to ourselves whilst at the riad, thus making for a very relaxing break. We also enjoyed the cats, there are several in the riad, all very playful and always up for a cuddle.
We will definitely be back again, for a longer stay the next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Riad Noir d'Ivoire is a romantic destination composed of five suites, three of which have private roof terraces and jacuzzis, two junior suites and two double rooms. Services include Spa with traditional hammam, Boutique, fully equipped gym, library, restaurant and a heated pool. All suites have fireplaces and all rooms, have air conditioning, heating, mini-bars, hairdryers, wall safes and flat screen televisions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with T4B so you can book your Riad Noir d'Ivoire reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riad Noir d`Ivoire Hotel Marrakech
- Riad Noir d Ivoire Marrakech