“An oasis surpassing all expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Noir d'Ivoire

We can't find prices for this hotel
Riad Noir d'Ivoire
You added Riad Noir d'Ivoire to your Saves list
31, Derb jdid Bab Doukkala 44.000, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #1 of 462 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“An oasis surpassing all expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

We have just returned from a weekend break in Marrakech and I chose Riad Noir D'Ivoire after reading the glowing reviews here on TripAdvisor. As the previous reviews stated, it didn't disappoint. The riad is situated in the medina, within the old city walls and it is an easy walk to the souks and Djema al Fna, the main square. It is in a residential area with local shops, and walking through the area provides an interesting peek into the lives of the locals.

We arrived on Friday evening, were met at the airport by a driver even though I had given Jill a later arrival time, an error on my part. We were at the carpark near the riad in 20 minutes, where we were met by some of the staff and our luggage was carted through the winding lanes to the riad. There we were met at the door by Damien, who offered us drinks and showed us to our room, the Cameleon suite, which was beautifully decorated and had a very comfy bed. As it was late and raining (unusual for Marrakech), we ate dinner in that night, with a starter of briouettes, a main of chicken tagine and dessert of poached pear.

We met Jill the next morning and she is such an interesting person to talk to. Her personality is stamped all over the place and she has created a wonderful place in a city that can be frustrating and hectic for some.

Damien's instructions and tips on where to go were extremely clear and helpful and although we lost ourselves in the souks, we were still able to find our way back to the riad by picking out the landmarks pointed out by one of the staff who escorted us out on the first day. We were offered a phone in case we got lost, which we didn't take but it is a very practical gesture. We also felt safe walking around at night, although the laneways were quieter, but still well lit.

The riad has two courtyards, and we enjoyed sitting out in one on the Saturday night with a bottle of Champagne, enjoying the peace and quiet that London doesn't always offer. Additionally, the roof terrace was the perfect place to have the delicious Continental breakfast of fruit, yoghurt, toast and pastries. Wifi is available in the common areas but you won't be using it much, there's too much else to do.

One point I would like to make is that my partner and I are very independent travellers, very self-sufficient and like time to ourselves. Whilst we had wonderful service and spent time talking to Jill and Damien, we also had a lot of time to ourselves whilst at the riad, thus making for a very relaxing break. We also enjoyed the cats, there are several in the riad, all very playful and always up for a cuddle.

We will definitely be back again, for a longer stay the next time.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Polish first
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

I booked this Riad for a 4 night stay in March and based on reviews on TripAdvisor, the riad website and mentions in magazines I had very high expectations! Still, my experience at Noir D’Ivoire managed to go above and beyond everything I had hoped for. I’ve travelled quite a bit and in very different parts of the world, but I have never experienced a hotel that can hold a candle to this place.

From the minute we stepped inside this beautiful and stylish haven, we felt welcome and at home. Jill’s attention to detail and remarkable personality shines though in everything from the stunning décor to her warm and affectionate attention to your every need. Likewise, her assistant Damien and all of the riad staff went out of their way to make our stay a blissful break from everyday life. We were spoiled and taken care of 24 hours a day, and even though Marrakech is a very safe city, one of the staff would even pick us up after dinner and walk us home – just to make sure we could find our way though the fascinating maze that is the medina.

I loved the unique and vibrant city of Marrakech, but I simply don’t think I would have experienced the city the same way had I not stayed at this riad and had the qualified guiding about everything from restaurants and shopping to sightseeing and local customs from Jill and Damien. I have never experienced the degree of personal service and hospitably like you find in the gorgeous Riad Noir D’Ivoire.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
St. Neot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

As with many other people that have been lucky enough to visit Noir D’Ivoire I really cannot fault it. Elegant, comfortable, stylish, immaculate... I could talk forever about this amazing hotel but words cannot describe just how good it is!
Marrakech can be quite a draining place to visit, so much going on, but this really is the perfect place to stay to get away from it all and relax.
This is firmly on my list of places to visit again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

Just returned from a lovely trip to Noir D’Ivoire … the hotel is beautiful, rooms are divine and the service is first class – all-in-all a wonderful time.
It was a last minute getaway for me and my boyfriend, and our first visit to Marrakech. We arrived to a warm welcome, a chilled glass of wine and a cosy meal for two in this beautifully designed riad.
We hadn’t had chance to research where we’d like to visit during our long-weekend stay, so thankfully Jill (the owner) and Damien (her trusty side-kick) provided us with all the information we needed, gave us a map (and phone - in case we got lost) and made dinner and driver reservations for us.
We stayed in one of the suites with a private roof terrace – where we ate breakfast, sunbathed and relaxed in the Jacuzzi.
As I was celebrating my birthday during our stay, Noir D’Ivoire made my day extra special from start to finish. We also treated ourselves to the hammam and massage in the quaint little spa.
A wonderful weekend break in great hotel hideaway.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

All these positive reviews are true and say it all. I have never reviewed anything on Tripadvisor before, but the welcome and service that Jill and Damien gave our family was the best we have ever received anywhere (and we travel a lot) so I felt I must! Jill even arranged for my youngest son's favourite t-shirts to follow us to the mountains (no mention of charging us) after he lost them down the back of a wardrobe ..... nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Ashford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

We spent 4 marvellous days of our honeymoon in this gorgeous riad.
I couldn't praise it higher. Everything was perfect from breakfast to the pashmina Damien handed us at night fall so that we could still enjoy our roof terrace. As we were on honeymoon we opted for the Guepard Suite with own roof terrace. It was so beautiful, a real 1001 night dream. We are still stunned by the service and the welcome we received. The food was amazing, super fresh and beautifully prepared/cooked. We also got some excellent shopping tips from Jill and Damien (inclusive maps and directions) which were highly appreciated (we shopped til we dropped basically). All of the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Also the location of the riad was perfect for us. We wanted the full medina experience, close enough to the action but also out of the way enough to get a good nights rest. The riad is located in a very friendly neighbourhood. We never got any hassle at all and it felt very save. It was only a 10 minute walk to the djemaa el fna and we managed not to get lost thanks to Damien's instructions :-).
The whole experience has simply been magical and we would like to thank Jill, Damien and the staff wholeheartedly for making our honeymoon so special.
I'm sure we will be back!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Absolutely and wholeheartedly agree with previous comments. A feast for the eyes and ears as we walked a short way with our guide to the Riad accompanied by Couscous, a donkey which carried our luggage. The Riad Noir d'Ivoire is in a perfect location, in the heart of the Medina, to explore the real Marrakech at work and savour the atmosphere. A very warm and thoughtful greeting as we arrived which set the scene for our whole stay and continued throughout.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Noir d'Ivoire? Share your experiences!