“Calm and relaxing” 5 of 5 stars

22 Derb Lalla Azzouna | Medina, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #88 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
“Calm and relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We spent 4 nights in Riad Tzarra in a traditional part of the Medina, but close to the Souks where you will experience everyday local Marrakech life. Once inside away from the Derbs it is quiet and tranquil. The decor and cleanliness is superb. All the staff were very attentive and were on hand to help. I looked forward to my breakfast each day from Meriam, with lovely Moroccan pancakes (Beghrir) and fig jam. I actually made a batch of around 40 this morning and we had a Moroccan breakfast at home! We didn't eat there in the evening but the other guest there did, and complimented the food.

Mohammed was a lovely charming host, who spoke beautiful English. He also taught us about Marrakech and its people - this was most interesting as we were there during the holiday of Eid al-Adha, the Feast of Sacrifice. Each day he would help us decide where to go and make recommendations, including the best way to navigate the Derbs and Souks! Be prepared to get lost, it seems everyone does :) I would have loved it if Mohammed could have showed us around on the first day, but apparently they are not allowed to, so I would recommend a walking tour guide on your first day. Also be aware that walking home in the dark is different to the day time when all the landmarks change due toe the Souks closing. The night porter, was a cheery fellow who always offered to come and find us if we were ever lost - which is reassuring.

I used the Hammam and massage, which was smaller than i was expecting only having been in Turkish hammam's but suitably relaxing, and excellent value for money, especially if pre-booked with discount. We had a traditional Moroccan first night dinner on the roof terrace at Dar Hanane, which was faultless and so tasty. The chef spoke French or I would have asked for her recipes!

Mohammed arranged for a talented lady to come and do some Berber Henna tattoos which was preferable to the getting one in the square. You need to be organised with your meals if you want to eat at the Riad. Aziz was a star, and surpassed my expectations one evening when we had not pre-ordered food, I was hungry, too tired to go out (as we had been out all day) and it was pouring with rain (read monsoon!). He managed to source some Moroccan take away from a local restaurant of tasty Kefta, Moroccan salad and bread - which washed down with a bottle of wine from the honesty bar was just what was needed. I can see a good idea for a partnership there with a local restaurant for snacks and last minute meals.

I would recommend Riad Tzarra and their lovely staff on your visit to Marrakech.

Room Tip: Stayed in Persia room - first floor - midday sun shines through from roof terrace.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

194 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Just loved this wonderful riad on our first visit to Marrakech. We felt so at home as soon as we arrived - Mandy was superb throughout and the staff couldn't have been nicer - Meriam, Hanane, Mohammed and Abdeladi and Rizlane (who did our divine hammams and massages). The riad is beautifully furnished and decorated and we really didn't want to leave to go back to cold UK. Thank you all so much for looking after us so well.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bruton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I came to stay last week with my father and brother and we had the most amazing time in the most amazing riad any of us could imagine! It was beautiful and also the people who ran the riad where beautiful, smiled all the time, spoke great English and undsterstood what we needed etc. I would go back to this riad any time! Utterly perfect place to find yourself in Marrakech.

Room Tip: Do some research on the website to where you are going!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Azzouna, Manager at Riad Tzarra, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for your kind words. I'm delighted to hear that your time in the riad was beyond what you imagined, this makes doing what we do all the more worthwhile. We hope to welcome you back to Riad Tzarra in the future. Best, Mandy
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Spent 4 nights at this lovely riad. We were upgraded to the Colonial Room with the beautiful domed ceilinged bathroom, but all 4 rooms were lovely. We ate in the peaceful courtyard and the food was good, as was breakfast.

The roof terrace is a wonderful place to relax with a drink or two and is particularly atmospheric at dusk surrounded by the call to prayer from the neighbouring mosques. Don't panic about getting lost; you will certainly do so in the maze of narrow streets in which the riad is located but you'll soon get the hang of it.

All of the staff were charming, friendly and helpful and I would not hesitate to stay here again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Azzouna, Manager at Riad Tzarra, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a kind TripAdvisor review, we certainly appreciate it. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at Riad Tzarra and I've passed along your kind words to the team. We look forward to hosting you again in the future. Best, Mandy
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We ve stayed in a few Riads in Marrakech and this is by far the best! Our travel company booked it for us blin last minute so didnt know what to expect but wow...what a lovely place!
Its tucked away in a quiet area within easy reach of the souk but away from the touristy part.
The actual Riad is simply but beautifully decorated...we had the Persia room which was lovely with a quirky little split level bathroom!
The lounge area was very nice with a big open fireplace for those coming in the winter.
The roof top area was perfect for chilling with a drink at the end of the day.
....and the staff were so so welcoming, friendly and helpful! Loved it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Azzouna, Manager at Riad Tzarra, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for your kind TripAdvisor review. I'm delighted to hear you feel this was the best riad you've stayed in in Marrakech. We hope that we'll have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Pure Riads in the future. Best, Mandy
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I spent 3 days in Marrakech, and I am not shy to say that this Riad was one of the highlights of the trip. Not only the building and rooms are beautifully decorated and extremely charming, but it offers an oasis of tranquility in the middle of the busy Medina, taking a break from sightseeing to relax in the terrace enjoying mint tea was truly priceless. The other winning point for this riad is the staff. Mohamed and his assistant were really helpful and nice and offer detailed directions and recommendations, always with a smile, always trying to make your stay more enjoyable. I stood in the Colonial room, and I have to say that it had one of the best bathrooms that I have ever been at (comparable only to the high end resorts in Bali) Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, the colonial is great, but I stepped into the other ones and they are equality...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Azzouna, Manager at Riad Tzarra, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you for the kind TripAdvisor review. After a day in the souks, a relaxing oasis is just what one needs, and I'm happy to hear you found this in Riad Tzarra. I've passed on your kind words to the Riad Tzarra team and we hope we'll have the opportunity to welcome you back. Best, Mandy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Two friends and myself stayed in the Riad Tzarra during a holiday to Marrakech. We had a really fantastic stay, and I would recommend this Riad to anyone.

The atmosphere of the entire Riad is great. It is in complete- contrast to the hot, busy, bustling streets; as soon as you step through the door of Riad Tzarra you could not feel further from the madness of the markets. It is a calm and tranquil retreat, in a perfect central location. The Riad is decorated very stylishly - perfectly clean, with quirky and beautiful Moroccan touches. Our room was similarly very well presented, and was cleaned to an extremely high standard every single day of our stay. There is a lovely pool on the ground floor too, which proved extremely refreshing after an afternoon of sunbathing on the roof. The roof terrace itself is absolutely gorgeous, and my friends and myself found ourselves retreating here in the heat of the late afternoon after a day wandering the city.

Meals are available in the Riad and the food was fantastic. As a vegetarian, every need was catered too - gorgeous fresh salads, warming authentic tangines, perfectly prepared puddings. We were also treated to delicious mint tea on arrival. There is an 'honesty bar' available which is extremely well stocked and handy.

Riad Tzarra can also provide you with beauty treatments, Hammams and massages in the comfort of the Riad. My friends and I had a manicure, pedicure, hammam and massage each. We found that having such treatments available in the Riad itself was a great option - very easy to simply pop to the ground floor of the Riad as opposed to the less relaxing option of heading into the city to find these treatments elsewhere. Rizlane looked after us so well - the Hammam and massage combination was so relaxing and restful whilst being very cleansing, and the manicures and pedicure were finished to perfection.

What truly makes Riad Tzarra are the staff. We were so well looked after from the minute we stepped through the door, right up until we left. Everyone who works there was friendly, polite and helpful and this definitely completed our stay.

My friends and I would definitely stay in Riad Tzarra again if we returned to Marrakesh. Not only is it beautifully styled, presented and maintained. It's location, services and staff make for a wonderfully relaxing and memorable stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Tzarra? Share your experiences!