“Was ok” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Al Kabir

You added Hotel Al Kabir to your Saves list
Hotel Al Kabir
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue Loubnane | Guéliz: Bd. Zerktouni, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #411 of 467 Hotels in Marrakech
fife
“Was ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

I stated here in February 2014.

our room on arrival looked in need of a makeover but having seen other hotels during my stay i think this is the norm.

We stayed bed and breakfast. the breakfast was ok it consisted if lots of sweet things like crepes, syrups, jams but they also had hot food eg scrambled egg, grilled tomatoes, potato scone type things, lots of breads and cakes, yoghurt, tea, coffee, orange juice so although a bit bland you could always find something to eat.

location wise i think it was ok, a few minutes walk from the main road and about 20 minutes walk from the Medina.

although the hotel is not on the "main road" it is still on a very busy road and this was noisy 24/7 but didnt stop me sleeping.

great wifi connection.

the hotel has a pool but it was too cold to use.

Room Tip: Dont think it matters
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

i always make reservation in hotel alkabir its complitly wonderfull . 1mnt to PLAZA and 10mnt to JAMAA LAFNA . the service is very fast . mmmmm what a breakfast is full of energy and everything u want. people there are so nice and cute. i realy love ALKABIR . thank u for service.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for 5 nights and initially was quite happy. The room was fine (except for only 2 coat hangers). The shower was fine. And the bed was comfortable. The pool area is very pleasant. So, for the price we paid I thought it represented good value for money. However on the 4th night my camera and iPod were stolen from the room. We went out for dinner and I left them on charge ready for the next day. When I got back to the room and realised what had happened I went down to reception and, basically, they didn't give a damn. They refused to call the police and showed no concern at all. The room hadn't been broken in to so somebody must have had a key card which begs the question ... Was a member of staff involved? It was very upsetting and left a bitter taste. Such a shame. Needless to say I won't be going there again and I will never leave anything of value in a hotel room again either.

• Stayed January 2014
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights this month. It wasn't expensive so the hotel was exactly what I thought it would be. Double rooms are big! Unfortunately our AC didn't work but the bed was comfortable to sleep in. Hotel had a pool and very peaceful. It's in a great location, just minutes away from the main roads, mcdonalds etc. Well worth it

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Windsor, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Stayed in this hotel in September with friends for birthday celebration in the city and desert.
Location: Very good. 20-30 minutes away from airport via taxi. I didn't see any local bus pass by at all, so we always got around through cabs. The high street/ town centre/shopping area or whatever they call it is a 5 minute walk. Lots of 1st class shopping boutiques, classy restaurants and cafe. But at the same time, the no-fail choice McDonalds and KFC, so yehey! There is also a few cafes right outside the hotel where we actually had most of our dinners coming back from the Big Square, few nearby spa that offer Hammam and massage, and a small convenient store.
Room: Basic. Looked tired. Advertised pictures showed carpets on the floor, not folded on the chair. 1 small overhead telly without remote. Comfortable beds, sheets and duvet, fluffy pillows. Decent toilet, but again, very tired. Shampoo, soap provided (although only 2 pieces each were provided when there were 3 of us). Daily towel changes. No hair dryer. No hot drinks making facility, not even a complimentary water bottle. AC which was very much needed especially when we checked-in at 1100 and was very humid. I personally didn't have trouble sleeping although our room was by the side of the street. Having said that, yes, we heard the horns. So if you're a light sleeper or fussy with noises, then request for a room on the other side.
Hotel and Staff: I'll start with their buffet breakfast which is served 0630-1000. Baguette, croissant which I assumed were cinnamon or apricot, they were sweet, period; chocolate croissant. Ham which came in 2 colors but tasted the same. Butter, cream cheese, cheese, jam. Olives (I think they love olives, which I do too) so yehey for me, sliced tomatoes, if you're lucky, some lettuce as well. Scrambled egg, porridge and a soup with my palate suggested was pumpkin. Then there was this muffin looking bread which was really hard to bite it felt more like a biscuit. And Morocco's very own Msemen pancakes, just the plain ones, which were fine as you can pour some honey and spread some jam over them. Yum! Coffee and tea for hot drinks, and orange juice. When we checked-in we were asked to pay for tax which weren't mentioned by the hotel booker site, and I found it annoying. I don't mind paying tax as other cities do too if I knew about it before hand. We had to pay 40 Dirham each, how it went down to that I'm not sure, maybe 10% of the room rate. The receptionist spoke good English, the rest were struggling but they were trying, bless them. Wi-fi is only on the ground floor thus a lot of sitting area for the guests in the reception and pool side. Speaking of the poolside, we took a dip on one of our nights, which was lovely. Guest weren't allowed to use room towels to dry up after swimming. Why? I don't know. So we had to air dry ourselves which got pretty cold as there was wind during the night. The next morning we saw the cleaners mopping the entire sitting area and poolside and all the dirty, muddy water were pushed towards the poolside drainage channels so naturally most of it went into the pool. So hopefully the amount of chlorine they apply is strong enough to kill whatever bacteria might be in the water. We once tried to have dinner in their restaurant but there was no menu. For that specific night the meal consisted of soup and skewers of chicken for 120 Dirham. How the food was, I have no idea as we didn't go for it. Meanwhile, my mates had couple of beers during the night, called Speciale, which could have been around 250mls per bottle at 25 Dirhams each. They said it was fine. On one night there was a performance by a duo by the poolside which was kinda nice. I think the guests, both local, and foreign enjoyed their drinks and snack more on that night. Also some other guests came out into their balconies to watch. There are 2 sets of lifts, small lifts, apparently enough for 6 people, without luggage. They have a luggage area for early check-in or late check-out. In a nut shell, I wouldn't be in a hurry to stay in this hotel again. I wouldn't mind, but if there's another hotel for the same price I'll probably try it out 1st.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The Hotel Al Kabir is situated in Gueliz, the french part of Marrakech; it's a good half hour walk to the medina, or you can take the No 1 bus to the Jamaa el F'na. We stayed there for three nights...the first night our rooms were at the front, overlooking the road, and it was noisy all night. The following day we asked to be transfered to rooms overlooking the rear, and that was sorted quickly. The new rooms were on the first floor which was still rather noisy as there is a night club downstairs, and you could hear the bass beat. There was a pretty good choice for breakfast. The rooms all had baths in the bathrooms which I like, although the baths had very little glaze left on them. The service was very good and friendly from most of the members of staff on reception, but one of the receptionists was incredibly rude...we felt he shouldn't really have been in the service industry.

Room Tip: I would advise a room on the third floor (although the water pressure goes down the higher the floor...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

we stayed here in July 2013, sun-weds. The hotel on a whole was ok for what we needed..... Pool was lovely and cleaned every morning, although there is a shortage of sunbeds!! breakfast was again ok, contained cold meats, cheese and hot pancake type things! was ok for a start of the day. The only negative issue was the hotel is quite some way from any local shop! a long walk in the heat if you need to get water etc.

the staff were mixed in terms of offering politeness and helping you. we found a couple really helpful and several others just very moody!

all in all, ok....

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Al Kabir? Share your experiences!