“just perfect” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Moulay Ali

Save Saved
You added Dar Moulay Ali to your Saves list
Dar Moulay Ali
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   6, Derb El Ouartani | Mouassine -Médina, Marrakech 40008, Morocco   |
Ranked #682 of 1,046 Marrakech B&B and Inns

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Killin, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

Can't get a taxi closer than 200m from riad.
Booked a large room and given a small one, changed room but still not given the one I booked.
Paint falling off the walls of our room onto our luggage and bathroom smelling like a Calcutta sewer.
Owner not always present but manager was and this man will try and swindle money from you any way he can. Always asking for a gift (money) coming into our room wanting alcohol, wanting 3 times the regular rate for a taxi. This man is unhelpful and not to be trusted.
Riad has no soft drinks or snacks to purchase.

Room Tip: Choosing a room does not guarantee you will get it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I spent 4 nights there last january and it was a blast.
The location is perfect, 5 minutes walk to the Place; and once you're in the riad it is very very quiet, it's so peaceful. You can also relax on the roof where there are deckchairs. The fresh breakfast was heaven, cooked by Fatima when you come to sit in the patio : omelette, maroccan tea, freshly pressed orange juice, maroccan bread with marmelad, msemen and honey... All the staff (both madam and the concierge) is lovely, though you have to speak french. The room was great, huge (I was alone and had one double bed + one single bed), super clean and fresh towels were provided every day. The bathroom was great, especially when you know how it is elsewhere in the medina. Careful if you are going there in the winter, it's a riad so it is open (no roof), and therefore quite cold during the night...
I would definitely recommend the place to people who are looking for an authentic place to stay with thoughful staff, it is not a big hotel like in the palm grove with hundreds of people, a pool and buffets, disconnected with the heart of the city.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Absolutely gorgeous riad, beautifully decorated, spacious rooms. Close to the main roads around the outside of the Medina which makes it easier to find for the first time, but also close to the main square of the Medina, The staff are lovely; I got sick the day we arrived (not from any food provided by the riad!) and the French lady (I can't remember her name) did everything she could to make me feel better, even cleaning up after me! I would definitely recommend this as a place to stay.

Room Tip: All rooms are beautifully decorated, it doesn't matter which you choose!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Belgrade, Serbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My friend and I stayed at this Riad for 3 nights in May 2012. We took a taxi from the train station and found the place easy enough, not too far from the main road where the taxis stop. Tired after our trip, we found the courtyard very soothing and relaxed for a while until we got the check-in sorted out. The staff hardly spoke any English, but we managed with the bit of French we know, and were shown to our room on the first floor.

All of the rooms are very typical for moroccan riads, and overlook the courtyard, which we enjoyed. The rooms were of decent size, with comfortable beds, good internet access and clean bathrooms. The water pressure was a bit low, but we managed just fine.

The Jemaa el Fna square is a few minutes walk from there, with some lively streets on the way, a lot of shops and always very crowded and lively. When you enter the riad however, you do not hear any of the noise and are able to relax - both if you're looking for a quick afternoon power nap or a good nights sleep.

The breakfast was fresh cooked and despite the lack of choice, we were very happy with it.

Overall, a good place to stay while you are in Marrakech - safe, clean, comfortable and close to the Jemaa el Fna square which is a tourist delight, occupying all of your senses at once!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Husband and I stayed at this riad for 6 days. The staff were wonderful though spoken english was limited but we got by. Arrangements to meet us at the airport was made as it is difficult to find. The accommodation was basic but clean and fresh towels were supplied everyday bed was a bit lumpy and I think it was not one of their better rooms. Breakfast was the same each day but wonderful and freshly made by Madam Fatima who was very nice and was always smiling. The riad is close to the souks and the 'big square' which is helpful in cutting transportation costs. Considering the closeness of the souks and square once you were inside the riad it was peaceful and quite which suited us. The only downside was that the accommodation was cold (time of year I guess0 and the heating wasn't available daytime however it was left on all night which was ok as you could go out during the day (it was warmer to do this than stay in) there was a day where we did not have electricity in our room we thought it was all over but it was just our room (it was suspect since we were the only guess in the riad that night) however it did not dampen our enjoyment hubby and I are both too old to be concerned about such trivialities. The overall experience was a good one and we would do it again...... during better weather though. Visit to the Berber village and L'Ourika Valley is a must.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Desborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

My friend and I have just returned from a 4 day stay at this riad.We had a room opening on to the courtyard and were awakened by the sound of birdsong each morning.our room was fine except for minor things i.e.no loo roll holder,3 electric sockets not working and nowhere to hang towels.Breakfast was basic,with no choice,but freshly cooked and adequate.We had an evening meal there and it was delicious,well worth the price.
For me,Fatima was the star of the riad,always smiling and helpful.
The situation of the Riad was ideal,close to the main square and other things.Although we are 2 older ladies we felt safe when we were wandering through the alleys ,even at night.
A trip to Essuoirra is a must.The Supra coach was very comfortable with plenty of room and free water and papers.The tourist bus is very good but stopped running about 4.30 so we didn't see all that we wanted to.We also went on a little train that does an hour's trip round the outskirts.that was great fun and we saw a lot that we hadn't seen before.
We went to a local hammam,not a tourist one.I love hammam's and go to one as often as I can but I haven't been to one quite like this!I am 60 and my friend,who has never been to one,is 74.The local women helped us,miming that we had to undress,which we did,down to our undies but no,we had to strip completely.They then covered us with this black gungy stuff then about 1omins.later,scrubbed it all off us and threw buckets of clean water all over us.great fun,we couldn't stop laughing.Definetly a bonding session!!
This was my 5th trip to Marrakeck and my last as I disliked the way everyone asked for money for doing the slightest thing for you and the beggars.We were also ripped off a few times and my immpressions of morrocco have changed because of this.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Dar Moulay Ali? Share your experiences!