“A place to relax after the hustle and bustle of Marrakech” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Moulay Ali

Save Saved
You added Dar Moulay Ali to your Saves list
Dar Moulay Ali
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   6, Derb El Ouartani | Mouassine -Médina, Marrakech 40008, Morocco   |
Ranked #741 of 1,065 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Belgrade, Serbia
“A place to relax after the hustle and bustle of Marrakech”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My friend and I stayed at this Riad for 3 nights in May 2012. We took a taxi from the train station and found the place easy enough, not too far from the main road where the taxis stop. Tired after our trip, we found the courtyard very soothing and relaxed for a while until we got the check-in sorted out. The staff hardly spoke any English, but we managed with the bit of French we know, and were shown to our room on the first floor.

All of the rooms are very typical for moroccan riads, and overlook the courtyard, which we enjoyed. The rooms were of decent size, with comfortable beds, good internet access and clean bathrooms. The water pressure was a bit low, but we managed just fine.

The Jemaa el Fna square is a few minutes walk from there, with some lively streets on the way, a lot of shops and always very crowded and lively. When you enter the riad however, you do not hear any of the noise and are able to relax - both if you're looking for a quick afternoon power nap or a good nights sleep.

The breakfast was fresh cooked and despite the lack of choice, we were very happy with it.

Overall, a good place to stay while you are in Marrakech - safe, clean, comfortable and close to the Jemaa el Fna square which is a tourist delight, occupying all of your senses at once!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Husband and I stayed at this riad for 6 days. The staff were wonderful though spoken english was limited but we got by. Arrangements to meet us at the airport was made as it is difficult to find. The accommodation was basic but clean and fresh towels were supplied everyday bed was a bit lumpy and I think it was not one of their better rooms. Breakfast was the same each day but wonderful and freshly made by Madam Fatima who was very nice and was always smiling. The riad is close to the souks and the 'big square' which is helpful in cutting transportation costs. Considering the closeness of the souks and square once you were inside the riad it was peaceful and quite which suited us. The only downside was that the accommodation was cold (time of year I guess0 and the heating wasn't available daytime however it was left on all night which was ok as you could go out during the day (it was warmer to do this than stay in) there was a day where we did not have electricity in our room we thought it was all over but it was just our room (it was suspect since we were the only guess in the riad that night) however it did not dampen our enjoyment hubby and I are both too old to be concerned about such trivialities. The overall experience was a good one and we would do it again...... during better weather though. Visit to the Berber village and L'Ourika Valley is a must.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Desborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

My friend and I have just returned from a 4 day stay at this riad.We had a room opening on to the courtyard and were awakened by the sound of birdsong each morning.our room was fine except for minor things i.e.no loo roll holder,3 electric sockets not working and nowhere to hang towels.Breakfast was basic,with no choice,but freshly cooked and adequate.We had an evening meal there and it was delicious,well worth the price.
For me,Fatima was the star of the riad,always smiling and helpful.
The situation of the Riad was ideal,close to the main square and other things.Although we are 2 older ladies we felt safe when we were wandering through the alleys ,even at night.
A trip to Essuoirra is a must.The Supra coach was very comfortable with plenty of room and free water and papers.The tourist bus is very good but stopped running about 4.30 so we didn't see all that we wanted to.We also went on a little train that does an hour's trip round the outskirts.that was great fun and we saw a lot that we hadn't seen before.
We went to a local hammam,not a tourist one.I love hammam's and go to one as often as I can but I haven't been to one quite like this!I am 60 and my friend,who has never been to one,is 74.The local women helped us,miming that we had to undress,which we did,down to our undies but no,we had to strip completely.They then covered us with this black gungy stuff then about 1omins.later,scrubbed it all off us and threw buckets of clean water all over us.great fun,we couldn't stop laughing.Definetly a bonding session!!
This was my 5th trip to Marrakeck and my last as I disliked the way everyone asked for money for doing the slightest thing for you and the beggars.We were also ripped off a few times and my immpressions of morrocco have changed because of this.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

I had 4 nights at Dar Moulay Ali in November 2011 at 40 euros per night.. The position was very good; being a casual 10 minute stroll to the main square, Jemaa el Afna. There were numerous shops along the way and it was close to a main road with buses, taxis and eating places.The area felt safe. The staff were friendly and efficient and the breakfast was OK, the room was clean. The only negative was the shower which had barely adequate hot water and pressure, however it sufficed. I would give this riad 3 stars but after my experience with another riad, Riad Elizabeth at 100 euros per night (separate review) I would call this one 4 stars

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
DE PINTE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

This place is truly heaven right in the middle of the Medina of Marrakesh ! the two brothers running the place will make you feel at home straight away and the staff, Abdul and Fatima, will spoil you from the beginning to the end... gorgeous rooms and patio, where you can enjoy your breakfast any way you like it, free wifi, perfect location for any spot you might like to visit in Marrakesh.. and.. for this price... incredible but true !

Room Tip: there are only 6 rooms, all gorgeous
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
london town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2007

I tried to book some rooms in the highly recommended Dar Silsila, but sadly there were fully booked. However, the lovely owner/manager,
Jean Patrick, also manages the nearby Dar Moulay. We booked the whole
riad for a week. I was travelling with my Mum and 3 aunts who were visiting from the Caribbean and were unaccustomed to staying in non-chain hotels when travelling abroad. So it was challenging when we arrived at night, wending our way through, dark, litter strewn alley ways in the medina trying to keep up with the old, but surprisingly sprightly porter. I could see the worry in their faces, which soon turned to wonder as we stepped through the heavy doorway into the garden of Dar Moulay.

This riad is simply decorated with traditional Morrocan furnishings and the little garden is young, but well-tended. There are 2 double rooms and one suite, all with pretty, green-tiled en suite bathrooms.
There is a roof terrace where we hardly spent any time as it was quite cloudy for most of our visit. The rooms were very clean and comfortable and very soon we felt very much at home. This was helped in no small part by the lovely staff there. Fatima Zara cleaned the riad, washed our clothes, prepared our breakfast everyday, baked biscuits and made us many, many pots of mint tea and gentle, helpful Salah did everything else.

Jean Patrick was really the key to our fabulous trip. He was so helpful in booking excursions, and recommending some fantastic restaurants. He was also very patient, showing 5 women around the souks!

Dar Moulay is quite close to the main square, Djemaa el fna, in a residential part of the medina. Its only downside is that the alleys are very poorly lit with lots of potholes and rubbish everywhere. if it is your first visit to Marrakech, this can be very off-putting and the Caribbean ladies were unimpressed! But Dar Moulay was lovely in every other way and I would stay there again.

• Liked — It felt so welcoming, like home.
  • Disliked — The surrounding alleys.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Dar Moulay Ali? Share your experiences!