“Cute, intimate riad in the heart of the medina” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
IL LUSSO A SOLI 72 EURO
Ranked #31 of 481 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Cute, intimate riad in the heart of the medina”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

I visited Marrakech for about 4 days in November with my mother. I chose this riad because I wanted something central first and foremost, a place that looked lovely and traditional (not tacky or too modern) and something within my budget. There were a couple of other riads I was interested in originally but they were all booked up. A word of advice: book the riads as far in advance as possible! They get booked up quick! However, I was so pleased that we ended up in this riad. Initial thoughts was that the location was hard to find. You can only get to it on foot - you have to go through some dark, twisting alleys, which on the one hand can add to the charm, but on the other is not good when you're on holiday with your mother and she is not feeling safe! However, she soon got over it. The riad is tiny - only three rooms, and each room is full of character. The rooms are also very large in size and have gorgeous windows over looking the central courtyard, as well as a small balcony. There is a roof terrace as well. Breakfast is included. It is the same breakfast every day, but beautifully presented and served every day. The staff are friendly and helpful although only one member of staff speaks better English. The riad itself is very peaceful, you can sit in the courtyard and read your book, or just relax in your room. And I loved the fact that we could walk to the Big Square within minutes and after a day, you get used to finding your bearings. Ultimately, the best thing about the riad is its location and intimate feel. Unfortunately, there were a few negative points for which I cannot give a full 5 stars - the room would smell a bit musty once we came back from sightseeing. This could be because of the plumbing in the bathroom or the natural materials in the room (wood etc). I was led to believe someone would pick us up - a guy with a wheel barrow - at the start of the windy roads but my mum and I had to negotiate the alleyways on our own with our suitcase. The staff are friendly, but I felt at times due to miscommunication they would exchange glances e.g. my mother and I asked if drinks were free (they are not, apart from when you arrive they give you complimentary mint tea). Also, no one helped us up with the suitcases when we arrived. I have to make a special mention though - I arranged a cooking lesson with the staff when I was there. The lesson was loads of fun, then we had for dinner what we learnt to cook earlier during the day. When we came back from a tiring day of sightseeing, I was amazed to see the table beautifully laid out as if it were a romantic dinner for two (when it was just me and my mum). They really made us feel special, and for that I am very grateful! I would recommend this place for that special touch alone!

• Stayed November 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

My friend and I stayed in Zahia for 3 nights for a weekend in March. Its such a beautiful, clean Riad with very welcoming staff. They organised our transfer from the airport and dinner for us on the first evening which was delicious. The location is perfect - close enough to the main square and the souks (5 mins walk) but far enough away for wonderful peace and quiet after a hard day shopping! There are just three rooms in the riad too which makes for a really intimate experience. We stayed in the ground floor room which was really spacious. I would recommend this place to anyone visiting Marrakech! Its just devine!

Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
TUNISIA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

I stayed for a couple of days and i am still under the charm of the place. the riad is very cozy . the staff is helpful, very respectfuly .they smile and ready to serve to make feel comfortable and at ease.The responsible of the riad is a very charming lady .in brief, if you want to delve into the depp spirit of al Madina you have to go and feel it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Cairo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

This small oasis was a delight. The beautifully decorated rooms, the friendly staff and the excellent food and the quiet at the end of the day was all that one desires after a long day of walking in the city. I will come again and again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business