“Dar Zahia” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
sydney
“Dar Zahia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

Stayed here with friends and we booked out the whole house.
Was a great stay, really felt like we were in Morocco with such intricate architecture everyone that the eye can see.

The beds were comfortable and the place was clean.
There is a lady that stays there the whole time to make sure we were comfortable. She doesnt speak English but we got by okay on French.

The only downsides were that toilet paper kept running out (probably coz there were six of us and I think toilet paper is seen as a pretty western thing) and that the roof terrace has high walls and no real view. The place is also a little bit hard to find through the windy alleyways, even our guide got lost at first, but it's an ancient city and that's the way it should be experienced anyway. Once you memorise the turns, it is really a great location and right in the heart of the medina close to the main square and all the action.

The breakfasts were good but the dinners were better! We should have booked more dinners at the house as we discovered that Moroccan home food is far better than anything you could get at a restaurant. And better value. The dinner has to be booked in advance but the lady who cooks for this house is a an amazing cook. Restaurant food in Marrakesh tended to be pretty same-same. Home food is where its at.

The owner is a young guy, incredibly laid back and pretty cool guy to chat with.

There is a fireplace that was pretty fun to sit around at night with some drinks (we stayed in winter).

Overall, would recommend staying here.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

262 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
malte
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

Two friends and I stayed in Riad dar zahia, after a trip in the desert and before going to Casablanca.To stay at this Riad made our visit to Marocco particulary lovely.Great hospitality
and good service in a traditional house located in an old area of the city. The friendly atmosphere and the extreme helpfulness of our host Tarek was fantastic.We would recommend you dinner at the Riad , the food is really good.
David L

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Tamaris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

We had just came back from Marrakech. My wife and I spent two nights in Dar Zahia. Our room was cosy and spacious. It was Samia room in the 2nd floor. Breakfast was great and dinner really good. We enjoyed our stay in the riad located in the best area of the medina.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

We spent two nights at this charming riad at the beginning of our trip to Marocco.The staff was
welcoming,friendly and helpful. Located a short walk from the famous place, Jama el fna,the riad is nicely decorated. We loved the food ,especially chicken tagine.Our room was comfortable. and clean.We really enjoyed this stay in the medina and we recommend it to everyone.
M. Stan.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012 via mobile

It was lovely place we find that riad on the net . We were surprised by the traditinal and the staff. We recommand to have a diner in the riad.

• Stayed January 2012
Johhanesburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

we stayed three nights in this riad in december 2011.It was very nice. Riad zahia was recommended us by a friend who came in september at marrakech.we were not desapointed,very good service,good food,not expensive. our room was spacious and clean.
We had a good time in this place.
SARAH

Room Tip: samia room
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Tokyo, Japan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

I stayed 2nights at this hotel.This hotel is Riad.I have stayed at Riad the first time.The owner and staffs were very kind and friendly.
But the room was not good.The towels were very old like dustclothes and the bath was clogged.
The room was made for summer,so it was very cold for me.
And no keys at the doors,so I couldn't locked my room.Sometimes the owner came into my room without asking.
In the morning of the 3rd day,I was eating for breakfast.I saw some suspicious persons went up the stairs(my room was at the second floor,this hotel has only 3rooms for guests).
I came back after the breakfast,I couldn't see my iphone any more! The owner said ,'Nobody came into your room,and maybe the iphone should be in your baggage.'But I went to the bath room,I found the cigarettes butt in toilet. We are non smokers.I could not find in our baggage.
And only cash was accepted at the payments,nevertheless I had heard that the payment by credit card can be used.
I never,ever want to have this experience again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Paolo M, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Riad Dar Zahia, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Hello Mr. Syushi.
I'm Paolo the new Customer Care responsible for Riad Dar Zahia.
We, our Company, will take commercial management of the hotel from next 15th december.
Although we are not involved with your "old" experience occurred, we would like to inform you that if you will have desire and chanche to come back to Marrakech, we will be very happy to offer you an exceptional proposal for a stay with us, for you and a person with you.
If you want to get this opportunity, please refer to me directly at our e mail address.
We apologise for the inconvinient you had due to the bad management of the past.
Those days have definitively changed.
Wishing to have you again in Dar Zahia, I send you my sincere greetings,
Paolo

Been to Riad Dar Zahia? Share your experiences!