“Lovely and tranquil riad” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Honey Sarl

Expedia.com Booking.com
Riad Honey Sarl
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Derb el Khalifa Boutouil 88 | Bab Ayelal, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #163 of 1,031 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Brisbane, Australia
“Lovely and tranquil riad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

It is very peaceful and tranquil in the riad, which makes it a great place to relax after a busy day out and about in the very busy city of Marrakech. Breakfast is a nice assortment of home made yoghurt (yummy), breads, fig jam, boiled egg, cheeses, honey and tea / coffee which is served on the lovely roof terrace. The riad is situated about a 15 minute walk from Djemaa el Fna. We deliberately chose a riad that is not right on Djemaa el Fna so this worked really well for us. There are also a lot of local shops on the way, so the walk usually took me 20 - 30 minutes as I would stop to look at the shops and take photos along the way.

The folks who run the riad are lovely and really go out of their way to make sure that their guests are comfortable, and are extremely hospitable. We really enjoy chatting to Imelda who enjoys having a good conversation with her guests. My partner also got rather severe food poisoning while in Marrakech (20 toilet visits in 1 day!), and Lahcen called a doctor to the riad for us. The doctor managed to come in the evening, but by the time he left at 7pm, the local pharmacy had shut. So Lahcen used his motorbike to go to a pharmacy out of town with the doctor's prescription to obtain the medicines for us. He also took me 25 minutes out of town on his motorbike to go to the large supermarket (in the new part of Marrakech) to hunt down gatorade / powerade for my partner. We did not manage to find any gatorade in the end, however, I really enjoyed the ride on the motorbike!! Youssef who cooks and brings us our meals at the riad is also simply lovely and always has a very warm smile for us.

The riad is also able to organise private tours out of Marrakech for their guests. We wanted to do a 4 day road trip to the Sahara and south of Marrakech. The riad owners organised a driver for us, and recommended some nice accomodation as well. Lahcen's young son, Ibrahim, who happened to be free on 1 of the days, also joined us to help explain the sights along the way. We really enjoyed his company and it was great having a cheerful local with us.

We had a wonderful experience staying with this family and would not hesitate to go back if we were to return to Marrakech.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

96 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

We found Riad Honey a bit randomly via the web and we were consistently impressed from the moment we stepped into the beautiful courtyard. Our very accommodating host, Lahcen, first met us at our taxi near the gate to avoid confusion, then sat with us over tea to explain the city and some sights. The place is gorgeous and he is one very cool cat. After several hours in the souks or dodging scooters on the streets, the tranquility of his Riad Honey (absolute peace - a trickling fountain, rustling leaves and chirping birds) was a great recharge. Lahcen is also an experienced hiking guide with a good knowledge of the Atlas Mountains and the many Berber villages in the area (he grew up there). His travel stories are funny and exciting - he's a great person to enjoy a holiday with. Everything was done to make our trip to Marrakech easier, better and more memorable. This place made the trip. Thanks Lahcen! Come visit us in NYC anytime.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

A beautiful place to stay and to relax. The owners knowledge of the city, history and culture of Morocco is outstanding. Most helpful in arranging travel to other parts of Morocco and guided tours to Atlas Mountains and the Sahara. The incredibly friendly staff are also excellent cooks!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2010

5 minutes walk from medina. incredible staff. best found in entire morocco. quiet and safe place near taxis and main avenue. cozy and friendly. rooms ok. but the best was the staff that made us feel at home and treated us like family (even brought a doctor in house 'cause I was seek for a couple of days...really caring). no doubt to advise it to everyone

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Luzern
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

A wonderfully decorated riad, with a genuinely organic feel in both design, decoration and service!

We stayed for three nights on our first ever trip to Morocco, and it was the ideal place to start.

Firstly, the food is absolutely incredible - so good in fact that we decided to eat dinner in the Riad twice, usually something we would never do (we prefer to go out to restaurants whenever we travel). I would go as far as saying the meal was the second best (if not best) we had in Morocco.

The staff, manager Lahcen and his family, are delightfully friendly and humble people who were always willing to help - Lahcen even accompanied me by bike to an ATM before paying the bill so I didn't have to walk through the street with too much cash.

The roof terrace looks great, although being winter we didn't get to enjoy it!

In terms of location, the Riad is located in one of the least touristy parts of the Medina. For us this was certainly a huge positive, as our walks to known locations always started off surrounded by real locals, not just salesmen and tourists. It is certainly not too far from the main square to be an invonvenience, but anyone nervous about unfamiliar travel should know about the location.

The only negative was the shower, which was slightly weak (but hey, you have to expect that in a developing country) and varying in temperature a lot.

Look forward to a return to the Riad Honey!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Brussels
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Riad Honey for a long weekend - I gave this to him as a birthday present. The stay was absolutely wonderful and even better than I had hoped for! What makes it so special is not only the charming and loving way the hotel has been furnished and decorated, but the people there that make you feel so much at home! Every wish is being read from your eyes and just about everything is made possible. I sometimes felt like time stood still in the Riad every time we came back from a trip to the "city". Even though we did a lot of stuff during the three days we spent there, it never felt like "stress". The stay at the hotel was absolutely relaxing and I am already trying to find time to go back. If you want to see Marrakesh at its best - this is the place to go!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Stockholm
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

I stayed for 8 nights at Riad Honey during a conference in Marrakech. I cannot begin to tell you how happy I was that I chose this instead of the conference hotel. Riad Honey is an absolute gem. I felt like coming home to friends every night when I returned after the conference. The place is calm, clean and beautifully designed without any of the over-the-top orientalistic stuff one might otherwise encounter. The service is personal, friendly and absolutely impeccable. The staff is happy to help you with what ever you need, be it a late dinner on the beautiful roof terrace, help to find the best restaurants or planning an excursion out of town. You get the feeling that they really care for you on a personnal level and not just as a customer.

I had a chance to visit other hotels and riads where my colleagues stayed during the time I was there and not one of them came anywhere close to the warm and beautiful atmosphere at Riad Honey. There is no doubt that it will be where I stay if I ever return to Marrakech.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business

Been to Riad Honey Sarl? Share your experiences!