“Avoid this riad” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Le jardin d'Abdou

Save Saved
You added Le jardin d'Abdou to your Saves list
Le jardin d'Abdou
5.0 of 5 Guest house   |   2 et 3 Derb Makina Arset Bel Baraka Medina, Marrakech 40000 , Morocco   |
Ranked #395 of 1,065 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Avoid this riad”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We booked a room for myself, my husband and our 11-month old baby and were really looking forward to it. From the outset, communication was terrible - trying to book a transfer and confirm that our room would have a cot in it was a nightmare. We had got an official-looking email confirmation when we booked but given how flaky they obviously are we decided to confirm the booking a week before our arrival in Marrakech. They didn't reply to my emails, and it was only when my husband called (3 days before leaving for Marrakech) that he was told that they had double-booked the room. I then received an email from them with a different story - that they could not honour the reservation because of a flea infestation. It was pretty obvious that they'd just accepted a booking for more nights than our 3-night booking. Rubbish service, rubbish communication. Avoid!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We had exclusive use of the Riad with 14 friends for our Silver Wedding Anniversary. From the moment we arrived the staff were helpful, friendly, polite & attentive. The whole Riad was immaculate, modern but typically Moroccan. The rooms were all different but lovely with everything you needed. Bottled water supplied each day along with breakfast, it was basic but enough to set you up for the day. We ate a couple of evenings in the Riad and couldn't fault the service or food. Other evenings the hotel staff suggested places to eat that were very good. They organised a guided tour for our day of arrival, which was very informative, they booked taxis for when we went out & were generally extremely helpful the whole time we were there. Overall we had a fantastic stay and felt thoroughly relaxed whilst inside the Riad. We Would definitely recommend this Riad & will definitely return.

Room Tip: We preferred the rooms on the first floor as you had a bit more privacy and they were quieter. But a...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Having literally just arrived back home, I felt obliged to write a review of this Riad as soon as I could!!

My partner and I had a fantastic time staying at the Riad. Staff were above and beyond hospitable, even taking the time to help improve my basic (at best!) Arabic! We found every member of staff to be incredibly courteous, friendly and helpful. The location, whilst for some may be a 'little out of the way', we found to be perfect. We enjoyed the daily walk through the local neighbourhood, on our way to and from the local sights (15 minute walk max.). Walking through the neighbourhood offered an insight into the authentic Marrakech. Not once did we feel intimidated and in fact rather quickly settled in to the routine of exchanging greetings with the local people. We often just walked the local area, mingling in the local market around the corner purchasing fresh mint and fruit.

The Riad itself was splendid. The plunge pool offering the perfect respite from the intense heat, the terrace offering fantastic views toward the medina and the Atlas Mountains to the east and the food was sublime. All in all, I can only speak volumes of this little Riad! We miss it already!! Take us back!

• Stayed August 2013
Milan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is simply a jewel, super clean, super charming and the staff is really nice and helpful.
We paid 60 euro for one night including breakfast and we couldn't have spent our money better than this.
Breakfast was good as well.
The only thing is that the riad is not really central so it is a little bit scary (at least for me) to walk back in the night.
Anyway we had the door man waiting for us and making sure everything was fine.

• Stayed August 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

me and my boyfriend stayed at le jardin d'abdou for 4 nights in late June and I have to say it was the nicest place I have ever stayed. The breakfast every morning was presented with such style and was delicious. The roof terrace was gorgeous with views of the koutoubia mosque and the pool was perfect for cooling off. I also felt very comfortable walking around in a bikini or shorts which made a welcome change from covering up in the 42 degree heat! We also went out until about 1am each night and there was always someone to let us in at all hours nothing seemed a problem.

The only thing that I found a little strange was the way the hotel used euros as their means of payment -obviously when asked it was converted to dirhams but it did seem strange as no body uses euros in marrakech. The bottles of water cost 2.5 euros which is around 27 dirhams - the same brand of water the shop across the road sold for 6 dirhams. And the airport transfer which cost 20 euros which is around 230 dirhams was only for the way there and not a return to the airport which I was told was going to cost 75 dirhams, which didn't make any sense as I'd already paid 3 times that for a one way trip, but I didn't say anything and I'm glad I didn't because the transfer they arranged was so much nicer than the over priced taxi on the way home.
It didn't put a dampener on our trip however it was the perfect haven away from the hectic streets! thank you very much for everything.

• Stayed June 2013
Derbyshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed at Riad Le Jardin d'Abdou for 2 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff were really friendly and helpful both at reception and the restaurant. The rooms were very nicely decorated and spotlessly clean. The Riad was truly beautiful and the small pool was great for escaping from the heat.

We also liked the location which is a 15 minute walk from the main square. It's a quiet residential area and gives an insight to the real Marrakech. It's very safe and the shop across the road is run by the friendliest shop keeper I've ever met.

Would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

What a beautiful Riad, very authentic, calming, clean and served fantastic food (I definitely recommend upgrading to half board for the minimum 3 days as we did). The staff were welcoming and friendly but their English was not great and perhaps they were a little laid back for my liking at times (for example, I arranged an excursion with them prior to my arrival but despite having emailed responses, no one seemed to know an awful lot about it but it was sorted in the end - perhaps I need to chill more lol).

It's location for me was not great. Despite its obvious beauty, it's not situated in the nicest part of the Medina; the area is very run down and a bit intimidating, we were a little alarmed when our transfer dropped us off, we were like "really, are you sure this is the right place?" but our fears vanished when the doors opened to reveal the splendour inside .

It's probably a good 10 minute taxi ride from the main souks at Djemaa el-Fna, but the taxi drivers we used coming back late from the souks often could not find it which proved a stressful experience when going around in circles with a driver who speaks no English. We could have walked but to be honest we didn't really feel safe doing so.

Saying that though, the Riad is 20 mins from the airport and as long as you get taxi's everywhere it is truly a beautiful Riad with lovely staff.

Room Tip: If you can, request a room not adjoining the court yard - Our room was lovely but we would have pref...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Le jardin d'Abdou? Share your experiences!