“It is 4th time I was ther ...LOVE it!” 5 of 5 stars

Dar Salam
Bab Doukala | Legza , N°162, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #779 of 1,080 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Warsaw, Poland
“It is 4th time I was ther ...LOVE it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

The Most important is the Family who is holding this friandly Riad. Traditional style But Modern - Very Good Marrakshy B&B Solotion. For me it is imposible to stay in big, romoros buildings - I love this place And I love this Family and Chear Man Mohamad who is allways on place! Safe and Easy

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

On arrival, and through out our stay, the owner was unwelcoming and at times verging on surly.
The location is not good. On the outskirts of the old medina it is at least a 20 minute, unpleasant walk, to anywhere of interest. The rooms appeared clean enough, and there was hot water, but this was totally overridden by the cockroaches in the bathroom and the presence of bed bugs. Unless you want to risk waking up to itchy red welts, I would reccomend finding somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Marrakech hotels

San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2009

I planned a last-minute trip to Morocco and chose Dar Salam because it was the only place I found a free room. It turned out to be exactly what I needed! It is located in the medina and a short walk away from the taxi station. Once you get used to the location it is easy to get a taxi to drop you off nearby. I am a single young woman and sometimes arrived at night, and never felt scared. When I arrived the housekeeper opened the door she only speaks Arabic, but a young man came downstairs to give me the keys, he showed me the way to the cyber cafe and everything. The owner was not there during my stay, only her brother and nephew but they are both extremely nice and hospitable. The ryad is small but I preferred it to others I later got to visit because it has a more intimate and personable environment. Really, you are staying at their home. Of course the drawback is that you are staying in their home and sometimes I felt as if I was violating their privacy if I came downstairs. But the hosts are wonderful and it is a great place to get a more intimate feel for Morocco. I would most recommend it for independent travellers and those who like comfort and cleanliness but don't need a lot of luxury.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

riooms are clean enough, zith ac but would definately have paid the extra 15 euros to stay where we were, as the area is not convenient and rather run down. ridiculously hard to get a taxi out of there to the sites without getting ripped off 50 dirhams!!! and standing 15 mins waiting for an e,pty one, as it is near the main bus station. do not stay in this area, definately dont get a good vibe here at all.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

I arrived at this hotel in the evening, at the time I estimated when making the booking. No one was present and after half an hour of waiting, I gave up.

I attempted to phone the hotel whilst waiting and got no answer. I'm pretty sure no one was staying there the night I arrived, as they certainly would have heard me knocking on the door.

A week later and the hotel has not responded to my emails asking what happened.

On a more positive note, http://www.hosteltraveler.com/ who I booked the accommodation through promptly refunded the deposit when I notified them of the issue.

Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Sheffield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2008

We stayed in Dar Salam for two nights. The place itself was fine, a bit oddly decorated and in a slightly run down area but a good price and clean. However the day we checked out I left a leather jacket in the wardrobe. We were on a road trip and I realised at lunchtime that day what I'd done. As soon as we stopped I phoned the proprietor and explained what had happened. She said she would ask her staff and e-mail me. She did this and e-mailed to say the jacket was not there. It never materialised even after numerous attempts by me during the 2 weeks we were in Morocco to explian that it had been in the wardrobe when I left and they were the only ones with access to the room. Within half a day of a jacket being left in a wardrobe it had vanished. I would never stay here again and feel very bitter about the whole experience. You've been warned!

• Disliked — Stolen property
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Warwick, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2007

If you're looking for a cheap bed for the night but with that added bit of hospitality then this is for you. Fairly easy to find it's in a good location in the north of the Medina. The house is a family home with rooms for rent and that makes this riad good and bad. It is good in that the rooms are cheap (especially the tents) and the welcome is warm. But there isnt really a space to sit and relax in the evening, it feels too much like their front room! We booked one of the two tents on the roof. Fantastic! They are basically large marquis fully lined with material and with a functional shower/toilet inside. Earplugs are a must, but that all adds to it. Very good price €35 for one night. Clean & comfortable and the owners are very friendly. I would definately stay there again, but if i came back for a romantic break i might try somewhere a little more luxurious.

Been to Dar Salam? Share your experiences!