“A true taste of Morocco” 5 of 5 stars

Dar Salam
Bab Doukala | Legza , N°162, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #780 of 1,080 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
“A true taste of Morocco”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Recently stayed here for a romantic getaway and we couldn't fault it. It is based in the old Medina and is a lovely small house with a friendly and welcoming owner and house manager. Arranged us day trips with no hassle at all. Great brekkie up on the roof terrace looking out to the medina. It is a 15minute walk to the main square and yes it is through the souks and small streets, but this is what Marrakech is all about. We went to experience culture and real life and this is what we got, no hassle at all. Overall a great stay, close to a taxi rank, great street food, restaurants close by, amazing value for money and our room was red and romantic!! Would recommend without hesitation.

Room Tip: Book the red room - the rooms are all quirky and in true Morocco style!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Blackpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I found hotel neighbourhood quite rough and dengerous.It's far away from the main square and you can easly get lost. My advice: when it gets dark go out only if you are in a big group. We had lots of trouble. Local people were constantly asking for money. When we were ignoring them they were shouting, swearing and even trying to pull us in some dark, little streets. I felt threaten and seriously scared. If I new I would have booked something closer to the main square. During the day it was fine, no problems at all. Owner of the place was very nice and helpful, she speaks very good english and you can trust her with organising trips and transfer. Rooms are very small and dark as there is no window but were cleaned every day and towels were changed. A little bit too gloomy, cold and damp for me. We ordered 2 sets of menu for dinner and we got far too much food. Shame they didn't inform us that 1 set is enough for 2 people as it wasn't cheap.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Haverhill, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Having booked on the strength of the reviews I was disappointed with my stay.
The welcome was very friendly and I was given tea on the terrace.
However my room didn't live up to expectations' it was dark and gloomy, the bed was very hard. There was no extractor in the adjoining bathroom making the bedroom smelling musty.
The Riad is in a very chaotic area of town and was a bit bewildering at first.
I left early before breakfast.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Dar Salam is a sanctuary of comfort and security. You couldn't ask for a warmer welcome or a more attentive and gracious hostess. Her cooking is excellent and she presents the meal with a great deal of pride and care. She will go out of her way to help you. The place is very quiet. The beds are very comfortable and warm and the shower has good water pressure. Wifi signal is very good. The location is good - you can easily walk everywhere, only 10 minutes to the souks, and 15 to Jemaa al Fna.
Some Hot Tips:
- have some small change on you when you arrive at the airport for the toilet 'attendant'
- the transfer from the airport is paid for by the hotel so don't give the driver any money, even if he asks for it (which he probably will)
- in December the contrast in temperature between night and day is quite big, so have extra layers to put on in the evening, or in the cool of the building interiors, but be prepared for strong heat out in the open
- get hold of some small change as soon as you can (e.g. buy water at the shop with a large note) so that you have more flexibility when it comes to toilets (1dh) and touts (10 dh), and to placate the many, many outstretched hands you will encounter.

• Stayed December 2012
Altea, Comunidad Valenciana, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

a very nice riad. we stayed for 1 night because the owner helped us out with problems we had in the riad jddi. we had a very dirty room and she let us stay without any charges been made until the roomin the other riad was clean enough to stay in.
as soon as you come in, you feel like coming home. the staff is very polite and friendly. the room and the rest of the riad is very clean. the smell of fresh baked bread in the morning when you have your breakfast on their terrace. we will come back to marrakech and we will stay in this riad. what a different start we would have if we started our holidays in dar salam.
thanks for all your kindness and help

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
world
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

Considering the low price we had a good stay, nothing was dirty or broken and that's rare in Morocco. The lady of the house was nice and helpful, breakfast was okay, no different then I've seen across Morocco. We liked our room, nicely decorated and had a good night sleep, no noisy things. Water was hot most days, one time it was not that hot because we went last i guess.. no problem though.

The neighborhood was okay, had no troubles whatsoever but it is a poor area i think.

We had a good stay and if your a budget traveler like me i would recommend it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Meiringen, Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

I have spent 4 nights in Dar Salam 2 (next to Dar Salam, belongs to same owner). As it was already written, the rooms on the roof aren't real rooms, but some kind of tents. It was pretty cold in january, the small heating wasn't really a big help. The only great thing was beautiful terrace, what a pity, I couldn't share it with my friends, because the owner wasn't OK with that (I really would love to point out, that we weren't loud at all, the owner had just problems with my friends, local girls, what's in my opinion pretty racist; the european tourists (even guys) would be welcomed)!!
My room wasn't cleaned all those 4 days. The reasons given were that the second key of my room was lost. Location is really in a very poor part of Medina, by walking to my place I was asked many times to buy some drugs, etc. Anyway, it's about 20 minutes walking from Djema el-Fna.
The most disappointing thing was, that I forgot my shoes on this place. I had travelled 2 weeks in Morocco, so I emailed the owner to get my shoes back. She answered that she lets me know after asking the housekeeping, but it didn't happen anymore. I went to this place, but somehow I've got the feeling, that I am no more welcomed and that noone really wants talking to me about it.
I have seen many places in Morocco, stayed in many Rijads or Hotels and believe me, for this price you can surely can something much better!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Been to Dar Salam? Share your experiences!