“Rescued!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #41 of 1,041 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Stevenage
“Rescued!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

My wife and I had an unfortunate incident with some locals just as we got to our pre-paid appartment in one of the Madina's many alleys. As a result we needed somewhere else to stay so we asked the taxi driver to take us - somewhere friendly with a pool, please.

The first place we tried was Ryad Dar Ganou. We didn't need to look anywhere else - we had been rescued! Veronique and Jean-Marc were the perfect hosts, their Ryad a haven in what had become for us, an unsafe town. They listened to our story, gave us a cup of tea and reassured us that we were safe in their beautiful ryad. We didn't venture out for 24 hours and enjoyed their hospitality and shared in much laughter. They went out of their way to make us feel at home. The small pool was perfect after a day in the hot sun, the room was great and the A/C much appreciated, the roof top terrace has great views over the Madina, the food is plentiful and delicious and the English/French banter between us during the Queen's diamond jubilee celebrations brought us a lot of fun and a really memorable stay.

If you must go to Marrakech, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

216 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Kiev
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

I have never written a review in my life but after an amazing stay in this wonderful hotel I felt I needed to let other travels know just how excellent this little gem is. We booked this place by pure chance as we were planning on staying at a more expensive hotel. Having had a very negative experience staying in a luxury Riad in Fes previously, we changed our mind and booked this one and I am very thankful we did.

We were going from Fes to Marrakech on a night bus which was mean to save us "sightseeing time" and were due to arrive early the next morning and go straight on a desert tour. We contacted the hotel asking if we could leave our bags with them and they quickly agreed. As it came out night buses are extremely unreliable and we ended up coming into Marrakech at 3.30am!!! We had nowhere to go so out of desperation decided to call the hotel. Veronique (one of the owners) was quick to help us and said we could come stay with them. We got into a taxi and came to the medina where Jean Marc (Veronique's husband) was waiting for us. He even argued for us with the driver who was trying to overcharge us (very typical in Morocco) Then he walked us into the hotel where Veronique was waiting for us with some mint tea and pastries. She then offered us to stay in the downstairs living room bringing down some blankets and was even apologetic that they didn't have a room for us!!! This is all at 4am in the morning and when we were not even planning on staying that night!!!! The next morning something like 7 am Jean Marc woke once again to walk us to the pick up place for the desert tour!!

After the desert tour we came back to the hotel where Veronique said she upgraded us to a better room. We really loved this little place. The rooms were nicely furnished and very clean. The breakfast was amazing and definitely one of the best breakfasts I ever had with plenty of fresh fruit, pastries local pancakes, jams and loads of delicious freshly squeezed orange juice. Also plenty of black tea which I found a bit hard to get in Morocco where mint tea is the standard. Breakfast is served on a beautiful terrace with wonderful views of Marrakech and the mountains. The location is also ideal as it's only a stone throw away from the main square. Veronique and Jean Marc are always around to help and offer some wonderful suggestions of things to do as well as simply have a friendly chat. Their dog is around too if you want to play with him.

All in all this was the best hotel I have ever stayed in. Yes it is not the Ritz and it never pretends to be as prices are very traveler friendly. This doesn't mean that it is not charming and in fact I prefer the decor here to many luxury places I have stayed in. Where the hotel wins all over is the level of service which is simply out of this world. I do not know of any hotel in the world luxury or not where the owner would get up in the middle of the night to greet you and lets you stay for a few hours when you were not even meant to be staying there!!!! This level of personal attention and love you receive from the owners makes this little Riad a true winner in my opinion. I definitely would recommend it to anyone going to Marrakech. Mind you book in advance as they do not have that many rooms.

PS Veronique and Jean Marc if you read this I would like to express my deepest gratitude for the hospitality your offered us. It definitely made our stay in Marrakech and I cannot get over how amazing you both were at accommodating us and responding to all our needs. I really mean what I said in the review. I think your Riad is better then any hotel I have ever stayed in. For me you have now set an extremely high standard of expectations which I think will be very very hard if not impossible to beat. A million times thank you and I apologize I haven't written this review sooner like I should have. Loads and loads of love Julie

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Lavendon, Olney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

We arrived in Marakkech to find that where we originally wanted to stay was fully booked but we were absolutely delighted with dar ganou - Veronique and Jean Marc were the most loveliest couple to welcome us - Veronique showed us where to go and places to eat - she even would have cooked evening meals for us. The breakfast was fit for a King and our room was an absolute beauty. we didnt want to leave as we were made so welcome - its a fantastic place to unwind after the madness of Marakkech. Would highly recommend Kate and Andy - honeymoon.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

The couple running the Ryad were lovely and extremely helpful - even meeting us in the middle of the night to show us the way there. They also have a very friendly dog. The breakfast was excellent, by far the best in various places in Morocco we stayed. The terrace is a nice place to eat and relax. The room was clean and charming. Location is excellent, just a short walk to main square. Would recommend as a great place to stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

We found Ryad Dar Ganou by chance after some kids decided to lead us down some random alleyways. Such a find though, and actually really simple to find your way to the main square once Veronique shows you! It's got a little pool which is perfect for July in Marrakech. The rooms have air con and it's all really nicely furbished, with a lovely airy courtyard in the middle. Breakfast was very tasty (great homecooked mismins!) and very extensive, with fresh orange juice and excellent coffee. Veronique was so friendly and helpful with useful advice and coming to help us get taxis etc. She even put some laundry on for us at no extra cost! In general, it felt really homely and perfect respite from the craziness of central Marrakech only about 5 mins walk away.

Room Tip: All really nice. Only a few so prob best to book in advance.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

We found this beautiful, well kept riad by pure accident when we were wandering through the back alleyways of the Medina. Run by an absolutely charming French couple, the riad is very clean, extremely welcoming, and quiet despite being two minutes' walk from the main square. The welcome from Jean-Marc and Veronique couldn't have been better. Highly recommended and I don't see why anyone would stay anywhere else in Marrakech.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

From the moment we arrived, Veronique was the perfect host. She guided us on the short walk into Djemaa El Fna to get our bearings and suggested places to eat. Nothing seemed too much trouble. It is a great location, just a few minutes to the main square and the souks. The riad was wonderful. It was very calm and cool. It wasn't busy, but I'm not sure what it would be like if there were families staying with small children. A lovely breakfast was served on the terrace, looking across the roofs of Marrakech to the snow-capped Atlas, by the smiley staff. Our room was spacious, tastefully decorated and very clean, a plug for the basin would have been handy. Veronique made several reliable suggestions including restaurants, a place to get a massage, a trip out to the Ourika Valley and a cookery course. Some French is recommended.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ryad Dar Ganou? Share your experiences!