“Truly beautiful!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Dar Darma

You added Riad Dar Darma to your Saves list
Riad Dar Darma
5.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   11/12, Trik Sidi Bohuarba - Medina, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #364 of 1,080 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Lisbon
“Truly beautiful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

We stayed 3 nights from the 4th of March. We were greeted by Sahid who had the fireplace lit up for us. We had booked the Brown Suite but were surprised with an upgrade to the Red one. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a lovely living room with a big window giving to a beautiful pool patio. My son (10) was thrilled with the whole riad. We were the only guests on the 1st night and had my husband's birthday dinner set on the lounge by the fireplace. A tasty tagine with moroccan salad, fruit pie, nice wine. He keeps thanking me for this delightful present as he had no idea what lied behind the 11/12 door on Trik Sidi Bohuarba. Walking along the streets gives you no idea.
We dind't find that walking a street to reach it or not having a taxi at the door was a problem at all. It's a nice ten minute stroll to Jammaa el Fna (passing by the Medersa (right neraby),the Museum and the souks) if one needs a taxi. The Riad provides airport transfers, which is very convenient and the price is fair enough.
The hammam was working and we could use it with our son at no extra cost. My husband had a massage while I learned the technique. Lol.
Breakfast was very fresh, tasty and more than enough. If you look for a hotel type breakfast, with loads of things you end up by not eating, than try a hotel outside the medina. Anyway the staff were there at all times should we need anything else. I wouldn't trade this place for any 5 star hotel in this city.
It's truly beautiful, spotless and we felt welcome and helped whenever we needed.
I can't wait to return!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
bangkok
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Riad in early May traveling from Thailand for a friend's 40th. A true catalogue of how not to run a hotel, culminating in the loss of valuables from our room and a completely unhelpful process of trying to report this and seek compensation. Avoid like the plague, unless of course they have rooted out the petty thievery and the after thievery service. If you want more information please feel free to contact me at atimblick@timblickpartners.com. I am a lawyer so although not liked, not a liar.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Dar_Darma, Manager at Riad Dar Darma, responded to this review, November 3, 2010
Dear Mr Timblick,

We perfectly remind your inconvenient and would love the opportunity to reply to your review and express our sadness for your thoughts.

When you left the Dar, no personal belongings were found in your suite.

Therefore, Dar Darma is absolutely responsible for the loss of any of the personal belongings of guests staying in till the moment our guests depart.

Let me also remind you that Dar Darma received your complaint 3 days after you checked out.

At that step there was impossible for Dar Darma to assist you and open an official procedure to refund you through the insurance. The procedure, in fact, requires a policeman who collects the complaint of the guest and sends it to the insurance. Guest must stay in the Dar at the moment of the loss, this is fundamental and didn't happened.

We really hope that helps you better understand and thank you for your attention.

With best wishes,
Laura Vida on behalf of Dar Darma
india
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

We stayed in the blue apartment.. The hotel was nice - the breakfast was good-

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Munich, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

Stylish Riad in the north of the Medina. Main disadvantages are: - it is not possible to go by car (taxi) to the hotel, which is disturbing if you want to return to the hotel during the night. - cockroach in the bathtube, sometimes old, sloppy furniture, SPA is not working - moderate breakfast as well as sometimes unfriendly staff. In addition, it is managed by Italians who never are present in case if something wents wrong with the booking, etc.; the local staff has no idea about the details.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

Dar Darma is a truly luxurious ryad in the heart of Marrakech's medina. We stayed in the red apartment which was spectacular. The service was great and the staff were all very attentive. They organised a guide, booked our restaurants and organised our taxis - nothing was too much trouble for them. The ryad was perfectly located for a short walk to the souks and the main square. A peaceful, tranquil oasis after the hustle and bustle of the medina.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

One of the great details regards a trip to Marrakech is the fact riads/hotels always send a driver to collect you as you're unlikely to find their establishment by yourself. And I particularly applaud the staff at Dar Darma who had to wait for our delayed flight to arrive in Marrakech at 3.00am. Also, due to so many vehicles not being able to manoeuvre around the smaller lanes within the Medina, we thought it excellent that more staff were waiting at a nearby square to carry our heavy luggage when our vehicle could go no further. This is incredibly comforting when arriving in a country in the middle of the night.

We took the very spacious quirky Blue Apartment for 5 nights - and it really is something special. We both had our own bedrooms and bathrooms, plus there's a pleasant lounge and dining area. As the Dar was very quite we were nosey enough to look in most of the other rooms, and I can state that all are very nice and very individual. What I love about these buildings is the way they twist and turn and you often come across something quite unexpected.

There is a gentleman called Saeed who's role I think is that of a manager. And in 5 days I don't think we once saw him without a smile beaming across his face. Plus, as can often be said of many Moroccan staff, nothing was ever too much trouble. We must also give very special thanks to Kareem who served us breakfast and lunch most days, and too was an absolute delight. I will always be very thankful that he secretly assisted me get a birthday cake for my partner, and had a greeting iced on the top.

We hardly left Dar Darma in 5 days - having been to Marrakech a few times before it wasn't necessary for us to be out and about. But one of the staff will guide you to the souk which is only a few pleasant minutes walk away.

I was also fortunate to have the roof top pool to myself every day. Don't be mislead by the photo on the website which makes it look a bit like a small plunge pool - it is much bigger than that, and much needed in the summer heat. I also think it important to mention that we had a very good internet connection - that can be quite unusual in many establishments in Morocco. It also had excellent A/C. I've noticed elsewhere people sometimes complain about the beds being too hard in Morocco - personally we think they are great. We loathe those awful soft beds that swallow you up at places like the Four Seasons. I slept brilliantly every night in absolute peace at this Dar. Not once were we disturbed by the call to morning prayer - however, you do hear it every 30 minutes when on the roof terrace, but I think that a bonus, it reminds you you're somewhere different.

Personally we found the lunchtime meals better than the evening meals. There were some rather strange dishes in the evening - but each to his own. And if I were to add a single piece of luxury it would be to have a DVD on the premises. I know some people will think it appalling to care about such a detail, but we do love to catch up on movies late at night when on vacation, and as the only English speaking channel is usually BBC World or a sports channel you do sometimes want something else. Also, food wise I don't rate many of the restaurants in Marrakech so we wanted to just enjoy being at Dar Darma - and we can honestly state that we did.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
newport beach
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

The night after our wedding In Italy we arrived to Marrakech to our
pleasant Riad Dar Darma, We didn't even have to check in, they brought us to our
amazing room (The Blue Apartment) and right away brought us amazing mint tea.

It was such a peaceful place with gorgeous decor. I didn't hear another person or see one the whole time we stayed. The staff was beyond helpful and kind. Brought us an amazing lunch on the rooftop. They made everything so wonderful for our honeymoon. I would stay here again for sure, and so should you.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Dar Darma? Share your experiences!