“Very nice personnel!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Jona

You added Riad Jona to your Saves list
Riad Jona
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Riad zitoune el kedim | 34, derb jdid, Marrakech 40040, Morocco   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #122 of 1,135 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Alken, Belgium
“Very nice personnel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Our trip to Marrakech wouldn't have been the same if we hadn't stayed in Riad Jona. Mohammed and Mohammed were perfect hosts and made us feel like home. We could plan all trips through them and had great chats with them to learn about Morrocan music etc A true advantage and peaceful place away from busy life in the medina. They even arranged a special transport to and from a conference centre I had to go to. But because of the riad and my partner coming along it was a romantic stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I can't say enough about this place. The Riad was absolutely beautiful and very clean. Centrally located, near the main souk Jemaa el fna. The entire staff were phenomenal, very courteous, kind, always smiling and very helpful. We stayed in the Warda room which is located on the main floor. The room is very spacious and the AC worked well. The Wi-fi connection was also very good. I recommend eating at the Riad, although it is a bit expensive, the food does not even compare to what we came across outside the Riad. Ask Fatima for her famous lamb & chicken couscous tajine and harira soup. Tip: I booked my trip through a third party website however in retrospect I would suggest just contacting the Riad owner directly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We have just come back from a 4 night stay in Marrakech and I have to say that Riad Jona was the best bit! It is a beautiful Riad, situated just 5 minutes from the square and 5 minutes to the taxi rank. The staff we're very welcoming and instantly we felt at home as they told us that this was like our second home; they really couldn't do more for you and catered to your every need. Be prepared when going to Marrakech to expect some hassling from people at the Souks, which is daunting at first but by the end of our 4 days my partner and I were experts at haggling and ignoring them. Riad Jona was a very safe haven where you can relax in the swimming pool/jacuzzi or in the sauna room. The roof terrace is lovely and we had dinner on our first night there - the only thing was that it was a bit cloudy on our arrival so we couldn't see the atlas mountains very well. After 2 nights, my partner and I went to climb Mount Toubkal for 3 days and upon our arrival back to Riad Jona, the staff were so lovely and could tell we just wanted to go straight to our room and relax and took our bags up for us.

My only negative would be that the Riad charged us around £20 to get a transfer from the airport to the Riad - I would recommend getting your own taxi at the airport (there are plenty of them) and you shouldn't pay more than 50-70dirham which is around £3.50-£5.50. Don't pay more than 70Dh and if you start walking away and looking for another taxi they will come running back to you!

I would recommend this Riad to any single, couple or friend travellers wanting a relaxing trip in Marrakech. Thankyou so much Riad Jona for making our stay a holiday of a lifetime!

Room Tip: Jasmine room is underneath the jacuzzi so can become quite noisy when the jacuzzi is on - not a prob...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

I cannnot recommened the Riad Jona enough! From the moment we arrived until the day we left we felt at home here. The place is very clean & looks beautiful, with rose petals greating you in your room. The staff (the 3 Mohammeds) were very welcoming & made every effort to speak to us English which we appreciated. We pre booked a tagine on arrival & after eating at various places we decided the riads food was the best! The location is great for visiting the main square where you can experience the souks and find petit taxis & caleches to explore further a field. If you have any questions there are always people in the Riad to help, even the owner Julien was on hand! With a 2nd Riad Jona opening this year I wish Julien,his family & all the staff the best of luck. Hope to see you all again in the future. Ma'asalama,sahbee.x

• Stayed August 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Lovely Riad in a busy city. Great looking :) and wonderful staff that catered to our every need.
The owner Julian gave helpful advice to what our plans were, from the camel rides which were closer than expected and within a walk from the hotel, to a vegetarian restaurant and the main plaza which was a safe 5-10 minute walk away.
The room was small but clean and smelled of roses and spices. Maybe the only drawback would be that the bathroom is not exactly private and the shower doesn't have a curtain so the people you travel with have to be either super great friends or family.
Marrakech is surprisingly different than expected! Tourist police are everywhere and take the safety of its visitors EXTREMELY seriously and the locals know it. I never had to pay to take a photograph of anyone because I asked first (except for the snake charmer and a guy with the monkey). Plus I think I was kinda nice and showed them the picture and engaged in conversation.
I did buy a little kid a glass of juice for .40 cents because it was .40 cents and I bartered ALL THE TIME for clothes, beads and spices because it is expected. If they asked for 900 dirham, I paid around 300 or so. And they are not offended because it is part of the deal. So don't be afraid. Remember, they want to sell and bartering can be kind of fun.
One last thing, we went during Ramadan which is a wonderful time to go because of the ceremonies and the sounds of prayers in the city. You will NOT go hungry if you visit during this time!!! Everything is open all the time despite what you read!
So have fun! Travel safe!

Room Tip: The room locks from the outside too so be aware of that. The bathroom is not private so stay here if...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Weybridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We have just come back from a 3 night stay in Marrakech (landing home just yesterday afternoon), and we stayed at Riad Jona.

What a truly lovely place.

The staff were absolutely excellent - friendly, warm, helpful - a real welcome after the hassle of the constant bartering in the Medina and the general agressiveness that seems to take over the majority of Marrakech men during Ramadan.

Our room was Jasmine (a Superior room type) - very comfortable, spacious, and superb air-con. The bathroom was separate, which I believe may not be the case in some of the rooms, so that was ideal. The possible only downside to the room was that it was immediately below the rooftop jacuzzi, so if you are back in the room in the afternoon looking to have a kip, it can sound a bit like a waterfall is erupting over your head as someone turns on the jacuzzi!

We ate here on our last night - it was superb. The cook certainly knows her stuff, and the starters and the tagine were delicious - easily the best meal we had. We asked to eat on the rooftop terrace, which was not a problem - in fact, nothing seems a problem for the staff.

The riad sells alcohol too, which is a plus, so we were able to enjoy Moroccan wine with our dinner, and on the other days, we were able to enjoy a nightcap before turning in.

We took a taxi from the airport to the riad, and I must admit, that was a mistake - we should have arranged a transfer. We got dropped off in the smaller square, and just told that the riad was 'down there' - we did find the riad OK, but that was probably due more to luck than judgement! Much better to ask Julian the owner to arrange a transfer and get taken right to the door. We got the transfer back to the airport to avoid having to argue with a taxi driver about the fare!

All in all, a top, top place. I can't see us returning to Marrakech, but if I did ever get the urge, I would most definately stay here again, and I am happy to recommend this highly to anyone else.

Room Tip: Personally, I would go for one of the rooms on the middle floor. Whilst the rooms on the rooftop te...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this gorgeous riad for a week after finding it on Expedia. I loved it.

When we first got dropped off by our taxi driver, I wasn't overly impressed with the streets of the medina and was concerned about where the riad was located. However, I had nothing to worry about as the riad was in a clean street, away from the markets.

We had a clean room on the ground floor. The room was very clean. The bathroom is separated from the bedroom by a curtain which may bother some, but not me. The bed was hard but after a couple of nights, I got used to it and actually found it comfortable. There is also air con, which is a god send!

The riad is intimate so if you are in a ground floor room, your door will open onto the court yard where other guests may be having breakfast.

Breakfast each morning consisted of pancakes, toasted rolls, fruit & yoghurt and was very filling.

The riad serves beer and wine & we discovered the best place to indulge is on the roof terrace by the lovely pool. The pool is small so you can't do lengths but is perfect for a dip to cool down after walking around in the intense heat. The roof top terrace is tranquil and pretty. We had dinner here on the last night & it was gorgeous. Julien, the owner, recommended lamb tagine & he was spot on!

I would also recommend the hammam and massage - it was lovely and very relaxing! And not very expensive (about 470 dirhams).

For me, the best part of the riad were the staff. Mohammed, Mohammed and Faisel were just fantastic. One evening, Mohammed invited us to break fast (it was Ramadan), with his colleague and a French couple who were staying there. We sat and chatted over dinner and laughed and joked and it was a lovely way to spend an evening. The guys were so lovely and we were gutted we didn't get to say good bye to every member of staff when we left! They were so accommodating and ran up and down the stairs getting things for guests all the time.

Julien has made a beautiful riad and I have already recommended it to anyone else who wants to go to Marrakech. The only con about the room is that there is no little fridge to keeps drinks cool but that's not really a big deal.

I loved the riad. Thank you for making our stay in Marrakech so welcoming. We hope to return!

• Stayed July 2013