“Warm & welcoming in a great location!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Jona

You added Riad Jona to your Saves list
Riad Jona
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Riad zitoune el kedim | 34, derb jdid, Marrakech 40040, Morocco   |
Ranked #93 of 1,080 Marrakech B&B and Inns
“Warm & welcoming in a great location!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

I cannnot recommened the Riad Jona enough! From the moment we arrived until the day we left we felt at home here. The place is very clean & looks beautiful, with rose petals greating you in your room. The staff (the 3 Mohammeds) were very welcoming & made every effort to speak to us English which we appreciated. We pre booked a tagine on arrival & after eating at various places we decided the riads food was the best! The location is great for visiting the main square where you can experience the souks and find petit taxis & caleches to explore further a field. If you have any questions there are always people in the Riad to help, even the owner Julien was on hand! With a 2nd Riad Jona opening this year I wish Julien,his family & all the staff the best of luck. Hope to see you all again in the future. Ma'asalama,sahbee.x

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Lovely Riad in a busy city. Great looking :) and wonderful staff that catered to our every need.
The owner Julian gave helpful advice to what our plans were, from the camel rides which were closer than expected and within a walk from the hotel, to a vegetarian restaurant and the main plaza which was a safe 5-10 minute walk away.
The room was small but clean and smelled of roses and spices. Maybe the only drawback would be that the bathroom is not exactly private and the shower doesn't have a curtain so the people you travel with have to be either super great friends or family.
Marrakech is surprisingly different than expected! Tourist police are everywhere and take the safety of its visitors EXTREMELY seriously and the locals know it. I never had to pay to take a photograph of anyone because I asked first (except for the snake charmer and a guy with the monkey). Plus I think I was kinda nice and showed them the picture and engaged in conversation.
I did buy a little kid a glass of juice for .40 cents because it was .40 cents and I bartered ALL THE TIME for clothes, beads and spices because it is expected. If they asked for 900 dirham, I paid around 300 or so. And they are not offended because it is part of the deal. So don't be afraid. Remember, they want to sell and bartering can be kind of fun.
One last thing, we went during Ramadan which is a wonderful time to go because of the ceremonies and the sounds of prayers in the city. You will NOT go hungry if you visit during this time!!! Everything is open all the time despite what you read!
So have fun! Travel safe!

Room Tip: The room locks from the outside too so be aware of that. The bathroom is not private so stay here if...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Weybridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We have just come back from a 3 night stay in Marrakech (landing home just yesterday afternoon), and we stayed at Riad Jona.

What a truly lovely place.

The staff were absolutely excellent - friendly, warm, helpful - a real welcome after the hassle of the constant bartering in the Medina and the general agressiveness that seems to take over the majority of Marrakech men during Ramadan.

Our room was Jasmine (a Superior room type) - very comfortable, spacious, and superb air-con. The bathroom was separate, which I believe may not be the case in some of the rooms, so that was ideal. The possible only downside to the room was that it was immediately below the rooftop jacuzzi, so if you are back in the room in the afternoon looking to have a kip, it can sound a bit like a waterfall is erupting over your head as someone turns on the jacuzzi!

We ate here on our last night - it was superb. The cook certainly knows her stuff, and the starters and the tagine were delicious - easily the best meal we had. We asked to eat on the rooftop terrace, which was not a problem - in fact, nothing seems a problem for the staff.

The riad sells alcohol too, which is a plus, so we were able to enjoy Moroccan wine with our dinner, and on the other days, we were able to enjoy a nightcap before turning in.

We took a taxi from the airport to the riad, and I must admit, that was a mistake - we should have arranged a transfer. We got dropped off in the smaller square, and just told that the riad was 'down there' - we did find the riad OK, but that was probably due more to luck than judgement! Much better to ask Julian the owner to arrange a transfer and get taken right to the door. We got the transfer back to the airport to avoid having to argue with a taxi driver about the fare!

All in all, a top, top place. I can't see us returning to Marrakech, but if I did ever get the urge, I would most definately stay here again, and I am happy to recommend this highly to anyone else.

Room Tip: Personally, I would go for one of the rooms on the middle floor. Whilst the rooms on the rooftop te...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this gorgeous riad for a week after finding it on Expedia. I loved it.

When we first got dropped off by our taxi driver, I wasn't overly impressed with the streets of the medina and was concerned about where the riad was located. However, I had nothing to worry about as the riad was in a clean street, away from the markets.

We had a clean room on the ground floor. The room was very clean. The bathroom is separated from the bedroom by a curtain which may bother some, but not me. The bed was hard but after a couple of nights, I got used to it and actually found it comfortable. There is also air con, which is a god send!

The riad is intimate so if you are in a ground floor room, your door will open onto the court yard where other guests may be having breakfast.

Breakfast each morning consisted of pancakes, toasted rolls, fruit & yoghurt and was very filling.

The riad serves beer and wine & we discovered the best place to indulge is on the roof terrace by the lovely pool. The pool is small so you can't do lengths but is perfect for a dip to cool down after walking around in the intense heat. The roof top terrace is tranquil and pretty. We had dinner here on the last night & it was gorgeous. Julien, the owner, recommended lamb tagine & he was spot on!

I would also recommend the hammam and massage - it was lovely and very relaxing! And not very expensive (about 470 dirhams).

For me, the best part of the riad were the staff. Mohammed, Mohammed and Faisel were just fantastic. One evening, Mohammed invited us to break fast (it was Ramadan), with his colleague and a French couple who were staying there. We sat and chatted over dinner and laughed and joked and it was a lovely way to spend an evening. The guys were so lovely and we were gutted we didn't get to say good bye to every member of staff when we left! They were so accommodating and ran up and down the stairs getting things for guests all the time.

Julien has made a beautiful riad and I have already recommended it to anyone else who wants to go to Marrakech. The only con about the room is that there is no little fridge to keeps drinks cool but that's not really a big deal.

I loved the riad. Thank you for making our stay in Marrakech so welcoming. We hope to return!

• Stayed July 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I liked this riad. From start to finish, staff were courteous and helpful. The room was lovely, nicely decorated. The hammam experience at the riads own hammam was great. The fact that it serves a beer is a real plus in the medina and actually is was one of the cheapest places we could have a drink. What made it ever better was that you could drink it in the pool on the lovely roof terrace - great after a day walking round the city.

A few minus points - the bathroom was only separated from the bedroom by a curtain. Not good if you are uncomfortable to using the loo in front of traveling companions. Also we had a ground floor bedroom and as the windows were only shuttered, I was not comfortable while suffering from a stomach bug to find guests breakfasting outside the bathroom window (I will spare the graphic details).

Secondly, breakfasts were plentiful but tended to be very carb heavy. While I'm not expecting bacon in a muslim country, I found myself craving eggs by day 3.

Finally and probably worst for me, I wanted to do a days walking in the mountains, and I had read that thus was perfectly achievable fr to Marrakech. The riad really was not clued up on this sort of thing and instead sold us as trip to the 7 waterfalls from setti Fatima that was a complete waste of time and money. The guide was rubbish, barely prepared to engage in conversation. I guess the riad would get commission for the booking but I didn't feel that they were very helpful or prepared to assist with something considered to be out of the ordinary.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We arrived at the Riad early in the morning after our flight from UK and having been guided there by a local guide through the maze of streets. We would never had got there otherwise and the luggage cart was essential in the heat. The riad was ever so slightly disorganised but the staff were delightful and brought us the first of many mint teas to welcome us. Our son loved this and has been a mint tea drinker ever since. The suite was spectacular when we got in- completely strewn with fresh rose petals everywhere...which looked pretty but was rather over whelming by the quantity.By the end of our visit the staff said that they wished we could be a part of their family and they certainly looked after us in a way that was exceptional, making our son feel that he would be warmly welcomed wherever he went to in the riad. The owner came to see us on the second night. He was very pleasant but not as pleasant as the staff, He saved his warmth for his fellow frenchmen. The plumbing is slightly inconsistent- the water that comes out the taps is scalding when it is hot, the toilets don't flush quite as well as they might and there is not a limitless supply of hot water as we discovered when I got the hot bath and the boys did not...Notwithstanding this was a great place to stay and being able to eat on the terraces upstairs looking at the starts was just magical, at least on one evening.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My friend and I stayed here for 4 days at the beginning of our trip. The location is superb, less than a 10 minute stroll to Jemaa El-Fnaa square where the bustling Souks begin, and the evening street food market gets started at about 6pm.

Our hosts were so friendly, and obliged our every wish. We had the room on the roof terrace, which was divine. Opened our doors in the morning to look across the rooftops to the Atlas Mountains, and could jump in the little rooftop pool before anyone else had even woken up.

The food was also excellent, definitely the best we had during our stay

Room Tip: Ask for the room on the roof called "Encens", the bathroom facilities aren't at all pr...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Jona? Share your experiences!