“A Sanctuary in the midst of the Medina” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Jona

Save Saved
You added Riad Jona to your Saves list
Riad Jona
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Riad zitoune el kedim | 34, derb jdid, Marrakech 40040, Morocco   |
Ranked #95 of 1,046 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A Sanctuary in the midst of the Medina”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We were a family of 3 women who found it safe to go in and out of the Riad Jona at any time and at night the lighting was adequate and apart from one poorly positioned rubbish bin, the street was always clean. The staff were welcoming, friendly and willing. We thought it was pleasantly decorated and well appointed. We enjoyed the generous sitting and dinning areas as well as the terrace and the hammam.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

352 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I would say that Riad Jona is a good place to stay (but TripAdvisor doesn't have "Good", just "Very Good" and "Average"). My wife and I enjoyed our time there as the staff was very helpful, the location was pretty good (5-10 minute walk to the main square) and the facilities were nice. It's a simple riad with a good staff that is good value for money.

If I were going to go back to Marrakech and wanted a low key, relaxing place to stay that was good value for money, I would stay here. However, if I wanted to make my trip a bit nicer, I would consider looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: The Cannelle Suite is rather large and could easily sleep 4. Two people definitely don't need t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Marrakesh being a destination I visit once a year with family, for my 25th birthday I decided to take my 3 best friends to Marrakesh to experience the magical city. Unfortunately the Riad which I have visited every year since my first visit was fully booked but I was kindly recommended Riad Jona by the owner of the other Riad, which I am so happy she did as we had the most fantastic time! The service you receive at Riad Jona is exceptional with friendly staff who make you feel like you are in a home away from home- a specially thanks to Mohammed and the ladies who worked in the Riad. It was also so lovely to see Julien 'the owner' so involved in the running of the Riad, he would be present every day checking we were enjoying our trip and made some fantastic restaurant recommendations, please do visit Jad Mahal while you are there for a truly luxury experience at the very reasonable price of £25 ahead (including wine), for a meal and experience you would expect to pay between 60 and 70pounds in London.

Riad Jona is located a 5 minute walk away from the main square (Jma el fna) where all the souks are, and as 4 girls travelling alone we felt very safe with such a close proximity. The rooms are beautifully decked with traditional Moroccan lanterns and craftsmanship making you truly feel like you are in living out one of the tales of 1001 Arabian nights. We were very lucky to experience some beautiful weather in December and enjoyed breakfast on the roof top terrace every morning looking over the hundreds of red roof tops and the picturesque atlas mountain in the background, it took our breath away every morning. Often in Moroccan Riads you will have the exact same breakfast every morning, it was lovely that Riad Jona offered a different selection every morning along eggs just the way you liked them!

I would highly recommend Riad Jona to any group of friends, couple or family heading to Marrakesh, for a truly unforgettable holiday...we are already planning are stay at Riad Jona next year!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

If you are looking for a great central location within 10 minutes walk of most of the attractions in Marrakech, plus amazing service from a friendly, close knit family team - you need look no further than the Riad Jona. The French owner, Julien, made our party very welcome and told us to treat the Riad as our home in Marrakech during our stay. He spent 20 minutes with us on our first night giving us directions to the main places of interest and warning us of the obvious pitfalls for the uninitiated in the town. His advice proved to be invaluable and he also helped me select a supplier for Morroccan lamps to bring back to the UK. The staff are consistently excellent - the Mohammeds (all three of them) were outstanding. Breakfast on the roof terrace was a highlight - simple but very nice and a great location in the morning sun. The owners also have the adjoining Riad, Paula, directly across the narrow pathway outside the Riad. Take the opportunity to get the Riad to book your taxi on arrival - the Riad isn't easy to find until you have been shown the way - it is in a pedestrianised area (unless you happen to find a motorcycle or a mule!) and you will need help to carry your luggage from the road to the Riad - Julien's team arrange all this for you to provide an effortless journey from the airport. Julien also provided advice on the best tours and made our bookings for us to see the Atlas mountains - If and when I return to Marrakech I can't imagine going anywhere else. We booked the first floor suite, which I would recommend - some of the rooms are just off the public courtyard and another is on the roof terrace near the plunge pool - the suite and the three other first floor rooms are well worth the difference in price. Food at the Riad is simple but very pleasant - the selection is quite small so you may not want to eat there every night but I would certainly give it a try. The only minor hiccup was that the heater in our room was broken - and Marrakech can be very cold in December. We were brought extra blankets and pillows within an hour of us asking. A great find.

Room Tip: First Floor, preferably the suite. The ground floor rooms are just off the public areas and the top...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

This is a price worthy riad with a good location at a close walk from Djemaa el Fnaa and close to a major street where you can grab a taxi. The room was quite big and charming and with a high level of cleanliness. The riad has a nice roof top with a tiny pool. We have nothing to complain about but also nothing to get too exited about. The owner/manager and staff were not so visible and the service was good but not very personal. I would however recommend it if you want to stay in the medina for a few days.

• Stayed October 2012
Newport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The Riad Jona is a small Riad right in the centre of the old city(the Medina),5 minutes walk from the main square,and the souks.Julien is the owner,a very nice,helpful person,and a source of good advice.The staff are fantastic,and the Riad is quiet,quite luxurious,with beautiful bedrooms,and a rooftop terrace where you can have all your meals,and see right across the city.The food is really good.You have to get from the nearest square to the Riad Jona,and although initially the tiny street looks daunting,there are no problems at all.There are plenty of porters with wheelbarrows to take your suitcases,and they are cheap.
The Riad also offers a Hamma(steam room and massage)that lasts over an hour and a half,and is extremerly good value.Highly recommended.

Room Tip: None really,I guess not the ground floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Camberley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I am not one to write reviews, but after my recent trip tp Marrakech I felt compelled to do so. Marrakech,fantastic. Riad Jona Excellent. Julien and his wife have created a wonderful Oasis in the Medina. Great location, great staff, nothing was to much trouble. Loved every miniute of it.

If you can't get booked try the Riad Paula opposite. Julien has recently taken ownership of it. Equally good, although I prefer the decour of the Riad Jona.

Good luck Julien, hope to see you again.

Regards

Allan & Karen

Room Tip: We loved the roof terrace room !!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Jona? Share your experiences!