“An oasis in Mararrakech” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Riad Monceau

You added Le Riad Monceau to your Saves list
Le Riad Monceau
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7 / 8 derb Chaabane | Riad Zitoun Lakdim, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #362 of 464 Hotels in Marrakech
Gillingham, United Kingdom
“An oasis in Mararrakech”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

My wife and I stayed for 4 nights in July/August. We took the opportunity of being met at the airport by a private taxi company which is arranged through the hotel. Two smartly dressed chaps met us and we were soon on our way in a nice air conditioned executive vehicle. They dropped us at a small square where an employee of the Riad met us. He then walked us along alleys into a souk. The only type of transport to reach Raid Monceau after being dropped off would be a moped or by foot so paying for this service through the hotel is well worth it. I am not too sure how we would have found the place as it is in the alleys of the Souk. (I think it was €20 for a return trip) Well he took us down said small alley and there was a large door to the hotel. On entering it was another world to the hubbub we had just left. The building had been carefully and lovingly converted into a luxury boutique hotel. Our room was delightful and opened onto the small pool. (more a plunge pool). This is where you ate in the evening. We did on two nights and although more expensive than outside the food was definitely 5 star and well worth every penny. Breakfast was served in a room near the pool and was very good with a choice of eggs if you so wished. Beware of the local sparrows swooping in and stealing the cornflakes! As mentioned before in other reviews, the Riad is a short walk to the square so you can't really get lost. After the heat of the day and batting away the hawkers it's a lovely oasis to escape the organised chaos of outside. Would return tomorrow!

Room Tip: I had a quick peek into some rooms and they all looked lovely. I think you can get a picture of most...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
RM-management, Propriétaire at Le Riad Monceau, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Guests,
Our clients' opinions are very useful - to us as well as to other travelers - so please let me thank you for writing this nice review.
I understand you had a great time with us and I would like to assure you that makes me sincerely happy.
Thank you to TripAdvisor to allow us this management’s response.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

This riad is by far one of the best places I have ever stayed. Everything is amazing, from the food, to the staff, the beds, pillows, etc. It is so comfortable and beautiful. The location is perfect as well. If I'm ever back in Marrakech this would be my go-to place. Loved it!!

Stayed April 2014
Dear Guests,
Thank you to TripAdvisor to allow us this management’s response.
Hove, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for four nights in January, in a large suite with a jacuzzi bathroom and open fire. It was really beautiful and very romantic. All classic Moroccan style with great attention to detail. There are terraces to relax on and the roof has sun loungers equipped with shade, sun hats and towels. The food was very good and the staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. We enjoyed a full set of treatments from the in-house Hammam which were excellent, both in value and quality. The riad is located a few minutes walk from the main square so very well positioned for a short stay. A word of advice - take ear plugs! The call to prayer at 5am from the many nearby mosques will wake even the soundest of sleepers. Overall, would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite if you can. It's well worth it.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Tiburon, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

My wife and I, along with a group of friends, spent five nights at the hotel.

We had an excellent time, the staff was friendly and extremely helpful. The room while one of the smaller ones was more than adequate with a large (public) terrace outside our room and perfectly suited to reading and afternoon tea. The bathroom was large and a little dim but acceptable. The water pressure was very good and with plenty of hot water; families with children would be advised to supervise them, the water temperature bordered on scalding. I found the bed perfectly acceptable, my wife found it too hard. The breakfast was simple but excellent; fresh rolls, cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit, eggs cooked to order and strong coffee. The decor is extremely relaxing with a rooftop sitting area and casual seating around the (small) pool. We ate at the restaurant four out of the five nights and thoroughly enjoyed the dinners, at lunch the french fries are superb. The dinner is a fixed menu with multiple appetizer courses and a tajine as the entree. The wine list is limited but they served a number of very acceptable Moroccan wines reasonably priced, by San Francisco standards.

My wife signed up for both the cooking class and the spa. She thought the class was very good, there was a certain amount of prep work but as she likes to cook she didn’t mind and thought the result (lunch) was very satisfying. The spa was okay but nothing special; as others have noted, language was a bit of a problem.

As others have noted the hotel is about five minutes walk off the main square, Jemaa el-Fnaa, in an area not particularly salubrious and down a long narrow alley, but once inside it changes to a comfortable tranquil oasis.

One item of which guests should be aware: the guide arranged by the hotel was pretty ordinary. He didn’t appear to know much about the historical or cultural aspects of the city and was very focussed on pushing certain shops. My advice if engaging a guide is to be very clear at the outset on what you expect from his services.

On the morning of our departure we had to leave early and before breakfast was served, however, the night porter prepared orange juice and coffee for us, a nice touch,

If I revisited Marrakech I’m not sure I would stay in the Medina, it doesn’t feel particularly inviting at night and the new town has what appear to be an extensive collection of modern, full service hotels with numerous restaurants easy to walk to.

Overall an excellent choice as both a hotel and restaurant when staying in the Medina.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

If you MUST stay in the medina, i would recommend this riad. The medina is crowded, dirty, overwhelming, and aggressive. This is literally RIGHT off the medina (15 steps-1 min walk), and it is a very luxurious place to stay. You feel like you just stepped out of the medina and into a small palace with accomodating staff and nice rooms. We had a suite, with a balcony, and jacuzzi in our room, but to be honest it was still quite small. So once again if you MUST stay in the medina, then I would recommend this place.

The front desk woman Riesling was incredible. She even went out and brought my wife a hairbrush when we couldnt find one in the market. As soon as Riesling leaves though, get ready for terrible service. The nighttime front desk people are rude, dont know anything, dont care about helping, and they act like youre bothering them for even asking simple questions. DO NOT DO THE COOKING CLASS. Its boring, long, and basically 4 hours of peeling vegetables (kill me).

Bottom line great place to stay if you want to be in the hustle and bustle of the medina.

Room Tip: Get a suite. Theyre not much more than regular rooms.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

I had been put off by a couple if reviews so glad I stuck by my instinct and booked dinner for my wife and I. The setting, food and staff were wonderful and we had a memorable evening and wonderful value for money. The set menu is varied and there will be something for anyone on it. There is no a la carte but for once that was not an issue and it was all part of the ambience as we sat in the middle of the riad eating and watching the stars.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
RM-management, Propriétaire at Le Riad Monceau, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Guests,
Our clients' opinions are very useful - to us as well as to other travellers, so please let me thank you for writing this nice review.
Thank you to TripAdvisor to allow us this management response.
Penryn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Stunning, peaceful Riad in a great location close to the Medina in Marrakesh. The rooms are so lovely and spacious, although we were a little disappointed that we had to move rooms half way through our stay due to some booking issues. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and offer a great airport transfer service too. The food was excellent, great buffet breakfast. The Hamman wasn't so great and the treatments were disappointing. We had pre-booked our treatments but there seemed to be confussion as to what we were having, the language barrier turned that what was meant to be relaxing massage into a bit of a fiasco. Aside from this it's magical Riad and a great place to stay in Marrakesh.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,
Thank you to TripAdvisor to allow us this management response.
Promoter of the MarrakChef Trophy

Been to Le Riad Monceau? Share your experiences!