“Lovely place apart from the hammering and banging” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Le Riad Monceau

Save Saved
You added Le Riad Monceau to your Saves list
Le Riad Monceau
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7 / 8 derb Chaabane | Riad Zitoun Lakdim, Marrakech 40000 , Morocco   |
Ranked #398 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Littleborough
“Lovely place apart from the hammering and banging”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I chose this place because it was being sold as an oasis of tranquility and it was a small personal riad. Unfortunately the builders were in or next door during our visit and we were woken every morning at 08:00. I asked twice if the place was being extended or what was being done but the staff just looked sheepish, smiled and did not answer. There are some sun loungers on the roof terrace and me and my hubby are sun worshipers but it was impossible to enjoy time in the riad because of the noise. There was no apology and no discount offered. I was very disappointed. If I had been informed about the noise beforehand i would have stayed elsewhere.

On the good side, The hotel is beautiful and well kept, the rooms are lovely, the restaurant is small and intimate and the food is good. Breakfast was also good with continental of choice off eggs which ever way you prefer. The hotel is 2 mins walk from the heart of Marrakesh.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
RM-management, Propriétaire at Le Riad Monceau, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear Guests,

Feedback from our guests and visitors is very important to us so I would like to thank you very much for your comment.

I understand you have appreciated the qualities of our hotel and restaurant (“The hotel is beautiful and well kept, the rooms are lovely, the restaurant is small and intimate and the food is good. Breakfast was also good with continental of choice off eggs which ever way you prefer. The hotel is 2 mins walk from the heart of Marrakesh ») but were bothered by the works going on next door.

We already talked per email about this point but I would like to take advantage of your review to give a couple of useful information to readers and visitors.

We’re fortunate enough to be almost fully booked all throughout the year and so, as we have only 7 rooms, we’ve decided to extend the hotel and restaurant a bit in a house next door.

As this is something always difficult to handle we’ve done our best to have the hardest part of the job done in Jan/Feb when the season as well as the rates are low and when people do not usually spend much time on the terraces for obvious reasons.

Now it is right to say that during a couple of weeks some noise could be heard from the work site but to make it all clear and fair I think it’s good to add that, as we're in the very heart of the old city, all the work is done by hand - no machines, no trucks etc (only donkeys and little carriages !) which means that, when we talk of "noise" it's really no big deal compared to what people get used to in big cities. Now I understand you were a bit disappointed anyway so please accept again our apologizes for the inconvenience.

Now, on the good side, the heavy work will be over before the end of February 2013 – so no more noise… - and by May 2013 Riad Monceau will feature 2 more rooms (one standard twin room and one brand new Junior Suite with private Jacuzzi), both located on a small private patio. Very quiet and very exclusive. As for Restaurant Riad Monceau it will have a brand new kitchen - much more space for our cookery workshops - and will feature a private VIP salon where 12 people will be able to enjoy a very exclusive dinner.

As you told me, “this as to be done”… ; you were right ; now this is almost over... and the best is to come :) Thank you for your kind understanding.

Thank you to TripAdvisor to allow this comment from Riad Monceau Management.

Isabelle Aubry, Owner

389 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The staff were extremely helpful and met us at the airport for transfer to this beautiful property. Food was extremely good served in tasteful restaurant. Location is excellent, close to main square . Would highly recommend this Riad!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We really enjoyed our recent stay at the Riad Monceau. Isabelle is a fantastic host.
We stayed in the suite caliph and it was great. We had booked a special luncheon in the courtyard upon arrival. The food was very good.
The terrace is very well appointed and very few people go there in the evening.
The location is perfect. Great breakfast.
Warning, when going through the little street going to the ryad, don't forget to clap your hands as locals have a tendency to through their dirty water from their window and won't miss you. :o)
We also stayed at La Mamounia which is another world and explains my rating.
Please remind Isabelle to offer an alarmclock to the muezzin next door. He was always late when calling the faithfulls to prayer.

Room Tip: Spoil yourself. Go for the most expensive suites.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guests,

Feedback from our guests and visitors is very important to us so I would like to thank you very much for this very nice comment.

Thank you too for comparing Riad Monceau to La Mamounia which is, as you know, the most famous of all luxury Marrakech hotels. I must say that we are proud and happy to be fortunate enough to quite often welcome people who, just like you did, split their stays in 2 parts : couple nights at la Mamounia and couple nights at Riad Monceau. Having talked with a few of them I understand that you guys like the idea of spending some time in 2 places which have in common a very high level of service and beautiful surroundings but which, in the meantime, offer 2 rather different views of Marrakech : la Mamounia is a huge palace located outside the old city whereas Riad Monceau is a very small palace situated in the very heart of Old Marrakech so, of course, the feeling you can get from the former is much different from the feeling you will get from the latter ; but both are interesting ! I must say this is a great idea and a great way to discover and appreciate the best Marrakech has to offer.

It’s good to remind also that a night at Riad Monceau cost between 200 € and 300 € a night (for a Junior Siite with private Jacuzzi) whereas a night at La Mamounia costs…………………. much more ! So, once again, thank you .

As we've had the opportunity to chat together I appreciate your humor but, to make sure fellow readers will not be misunderstanding, I would like to add that, very fortunately, even in the narrowest streets of Old Marrakech people DO NOT through water to tourists from their windows !! The story is that we’ve had some work going on in a house next door and it happened that during a couple of days water could splash from time to time from the work site ! I know you know but, by the time being, I think it’s worth giving readers the key to your encrypted message !! (As for the muezzin next door we will definitely forward the information :) ).

Thank you to TripAdvisor to allow this comment from Riad Monceau Management.

Isabelle Aubry, Owner
Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The Riad Monceau is a beautifully renovated house very close to the main square (100m or so) in Marrakech. Do take the opportunity of the Riad's transport service from the airport; it's reasonably priced, but, importantly, will help you find the Riad. It is easy once you find your bearings, but not on the first occasion. The Riad is superb. The staff are friendly, helpful and genuinely interested that you have the kind of break that you want. They will help with all the business of taxi prices through to places to visit and market prices.
Of special note is the food, which is quite superb. The optional cooking school takies you through the preparation and eating of Mororoccan dishes. This is highly recommended being both interesting and relaxed.
We will certainly return for the atmosphere, location, staff and fascinating guests.

Room Tip: This is a typical Moroccan Riad with rooms grouped around a central open area. All the rooms are goo...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Firstly, I am shocked that this hotel ranks in lower quartile of Tripadvisor ratings for Marrakech - currently number 373! Other hotels with similar rankings have far fewer reviews, and generally less favourable ratings. This has to be a glitch, and I hope it gets fixed soon, as the folks who run this fabulous place are being unfairly penalised.

Anyway, you have got this far despite that, so what's it like ? I have to say it's wonderful - fully lived up to our expectations, which were high, as this was my wife's fiftieth and our first trip to Marrakech. The hotel is down a narrow, unprepossessing alley, but don't be put off. I hate to use a cliche but it really is an oasis of calm and luxury inside. Seven rooms are clustered round a small courtyard with a pool and four large palms. There are seating areas all over the place, including a great roof terrace where you can catch the sun during the day. It was not too hot when we went, but I imagine the area round the pool will be nicely cool even in summer.

The room was not huge but beautifully decorated with a decent bathroom and a huge bath. the bed was very comfortable and there heating / a/c unit kept the temperature just right.

Having only seven rooms, the place feels very private. There were three other couples for most of our stay but apart from breakfast we felt like we had the place to ourselves. As a result service is very good - you feel more like a guest than a customer. We had one slight glitch with my wife's Hammam booking but this was sorted out very quickly.

We ate in the restaurant only on the first night and were a bit tired so didn't make the most of it but it's essentially a refined take on local traditional dishes and very good indeed.

Location is superb - right next to the square but just far enough away to be quiet.

All in all really good, and I hope the ranking gets sorted soon - I simply cannot believe Marrakech as 376 hotels better than this.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
RM-management, Propriétaire at Le Riad Monceau, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear guest,

Your feedback is very important to us and I would like to thank you for your very nice comment. As you took time to provide a lot of details about your stay and you have a great background on Tripadvisor I am sure your review will help other travellers a lot.

As you say our present ranking on Tripadvisor doesn’t really make sense. We’ve already informed the management of the website of this problem and I am pretty sure the comment of a visitor as reliable as you will help to sort this out soon.

Riad Monceau has been ranked among the top Marrakesh hotels for years and, as there were no changes neither in the way we work nor in the reviews and marks are still excellent... I don’t see any reason why we shouldn’t get back there soon :)

Thanks to Tripadvisor to allow the management response.

Sincerely yours.
Isabelle AUBRY
Owner of restaurant Riad Monceau
Västerås
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

Absolute top location in the Medina of Marrakech. Very close to Djema El Fna, 2 min walk. Very kind staff and cool atmosphere. No problem ordering omelettes for breakfast, otherwise only bread, jam, pancakes, coffee and orange juice. I can highly recomend Riad Monceau.

• Stayed December 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Though I use to come on Tripadvisor to get information everytime I am looking for a hotel or a restaurant - best of all travel sites! - this is the very first time I write a review. I thought I should do so because it seems there’s something wrong with the ranking of this fantastic boutique hotel.
I checked the reviews about Riad Monceau before making our reservation a couple of weeks ago – say 5 weeks - and then it was top ranked as it is on most travel websites (we made our booking on Expedia.co.uk where Riad Monceau was rated 4.9/5 ; as far as I remember it was the best rated of all Marrakesh hotels). And for what I can see it’s now ranked… 384 / 440 !? It’s probably a bug that makes the ranking wrong but this is so absurd I thought I should confirm travellers that this is definitely a top hotel !!
In short the house is pure gem (I made some photos but unfortunately the weather was not sunny enough to get good light), the location is really top notch - right off the main square... couldn't be any better - great service, beautiful rooms and on top of it all a fabulous onsite Moroccan restaurant where my wife and me had 2 fantastic meals (first one on the day we arrived and the other one on our last night).
We had the Sultan room which was a great one (right in front of the little swimming pool but unfortunately the weather was a bit cold and rainy so we were not really in the mood for a swim !). Excellent anyway.
So... a perfect boutique hotel for a perfect short break in Marrakesh. Definitely deserves to be top ranked !
Justin, London.

Room Tip: The Sultan room was great
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Le Riad Monceau? Share your experiences!