“Excellent - What's wrong with the Tripadvisor ranking system ?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Riad Monceau

You added Le Riad Monceau to your Saves list
Le Riad Monceau
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7 / 8 derb Chaabane | Riad Zitoun Lakdim, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #363 of 464 Hotels in Marrakech
berkshire
“Excellent - What's wrong with the Tripadvisor ranking system ?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Firstly, I am shocked that this hotel ranks in lower quartile of Tripadvisor ratings for Marrakech - currently number 373! Other hotels with similar rankings have far fewer reviews, and generally less favourable ratings. This has to be a glitch, and I hope it gets fixed soon, as the folks who run this fabulous place are being unfairly penalised.

Anyway, you have got this far despite that, so what's it like ? I have to say it's wonderful - fully lived up to our expectations, which were high, as this was my wife's fiftieth and our first trip to Marrakech. The hotel is down a narrow, unprepossessing alley, but don't be put off. I hate to use a cliche but it really is an oasis of calm and luxury inside. Seven rooms are clustered round a small courtyard with a pool and four large palms. There are seating areas all over the place, including a great roof terrace where you can catch the sun during the day. It was not too hot when we went, but I imagine the area round the pool will be nicely cool even in summer.

The room was not huge but beautifully decorated with a decent bathroom and a huge bath. the bed was very comfortable and there heating / a/c unit kept the temperature just right.

Having only seven rooms, the place feels very private. There were three other couples for most of our stay but apart from breakfast we felt like we had the place to ourselves. As a result service is very good - you feel more like a guest than a customer. We had one slight glitch with my wife's Hammam booking but this was sorted out very quickly.

We ate in the restaurant only on the first night and were a bit tired so didn't make the most of it but it's essentially a refined take on local traditional dishes and very good indeed.

Location is superb - right next to the square but just far enough away to be quiet.

All in all really good, and I hope the ranking gets sorted soon - I simply cannot believe Marrakech as 376 hotels better than this.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
RM-management, Propriétaire at Le Riad Monceau, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear guest,

Your feedback is very important to us and I would like to thank you for your very nice comment. As you took time to provide a lot of details about your stay and you have a great background on Tripadvisor I am sure your review will help other travellers a lot.

As you say our present ranking on Tripadvisor doesn’t really make sense. We’ve already informed the management of the website of this problem and I am pretty sure the comment of a visitor as reliable as you will help to sort this out soon.

Riad Monceau has been ranked among the top Marrakesh hotels for years and, as there were no changes neither in the way we work nor in the reviews and marks are still excellent... I don’t see any reason why we shouldn’t get back there soon :)

Thanks to Tripadvisor to allow the management response.

Sincerely yours.
Isabelle AUBRY
Owner of restaurant Riad Monceau

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Västerås
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

Absolute top location in the Medina of Marrakech. Very close to Djema El Fna, 2 min walk. Very kind staff and cool atmosphere. No problem ordering omelettes for breakfast, otherwise only bread, jam, pancakes, coffee and orange juice. I can highly recomend Riad Monceau.

• Stayed December 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Though I use to come on Tripadvisor to get information everytime I am looking for a hotel or a restaurant - best of all travel sites! - this is the very first time I write a review. I thought I should do so because it seems there’s something wrong with the ranking of this fantastic boutique hotel.
I checked the reviews about Riad Monceau before making our reservation a couple of weeks ago – say 5 weeks - and then it was top ranked as it is on most travel websites (we made our booking on Expedia.co.uk where Riad Monceau was rated 4.9/5 ; as far as I remember it was the best rated of all Marrakesh hotels). And for what I can see it’s now ranked… 384 / 440 !? It’s probably a bug that makes the ranking wrong but this is so absurd I thought I should confirm travellers that this is definitely a top hotel !!
In short the house is pure gem (I made some photos but unfortunately the weather was not sunny enough to get good light), the location is really top notch - right off the main square... couldn't be any better - great service, beautiful rooms and on top of it all a fabulous onsite Moroccan restaurant where my wife and me had 2 fantastic meals (first one on the day we arrived and the other one on our last night).
We had the Sultan room which was a great one (right in front of the little swimming pool but unfortunately the weather was a bit cold and rainy so we were not really in the mood for a swim !). Excellent anyway.
So... a perfect boutique hotel for a perfect short break in Marrakesh. Definitely deserves to be top ranked !
Justin, London.

Room Tip: The Sultan room was great
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Undoubtedly an incredibly beautiful riad with much attention to detail and very helpful staff, not to mention a great location. Unfortunately, for the price paid compared to other much more reasonably priced riads in the same area (within a few minutes walk in fact), the service was helpful but not personal in the slightest. As european travellers we are accustomed to high quality but impersonal service, but having stayed at other riads within our trip to morocco and after a few days desert tour, it felt very jarring and was not the morocco we had come to expect, despite the luxury of the riad. Definitely more hotel than 'riad'.
Breakfast was very basic too, a surprise considering the quality of lunches and dinners.
This is all excusable and obviously a matter of personal preference, but for the price it was not quite as expected.
The only real complaint we both had was the absolute din at night time rising up from the courtyard, making it very hard to sleep with other diners, cutlery and music seeming to get louder as it went up. Down in the courtyard it seemed fairly quiet, but in our room it was incredibly loud. Not a problem at all if you are out late or dine late, but if you've just come in from a few days camping with berber guides in the desert and you're suffering from a heat induced headache and desperate to get to sleep before 10pm as one of us was, you'll be out of luck.

Room Tip: Ground floor, as courtyard noise gets louder upstairs.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
RM-management, Propriétaire at Le Riad Monceau, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear guest,

Feedbacks from our guests are very useful and very important to us so I would like to thank you for this comment.

I understand you appreciated Riad Monceau was “an incredibly beautiful riad with much attention to detail and very helpful staff, not to mention a great location” which is… no so bad ! But I understand also you were a bit disappointed and unhappy with your stay.

I am really sorry for that as we make great efforts to ensure every guest has a great time with us. But I don’t think we’re to blame.

As you perfectly explain you were coming to Morocco for a trek in the desert and after this trek you were looking for a simple and friendly guesthouse where to rest. You were already used to this type of inexpensive hotels and you were expecting Riad Monceau to be one of them.
But, as you say, though it is very small – 7 rooms only - Riad Monceau is more a hotel than a guesthouse managed by its owner and just one or two people. My husband and I are there of course but due to the standing of our house we’ve also 14 people working with us to make sure our guests receive the best service. And even though our staff are renowned for their kindness and helpfulness this can’t be compared for sure to a owner who can offer spending hours chatting with his guests.

There are about 700 riads in Marrakech, most of them being small guesthouses like the ones you’re used to stay. As far as we’re concerned we are more an exclusive place used to receive people looking for a romantic and luxury stay. We offer them a perfect location, fantastic surroundings and décor, luxury rooms and a unique onsite gourmet restaurant. In short : all they need to get great days and nights ; great food, nice ambiance, even at night which makes Riad Monceau quite a unique place (after 8pm most riads offer no other possibilities than going to bed or going outside to have dinner…). Therefore, though Riad Monceau is definitely NOT a noisy place it is true we offer some ambiance at night, and we’re really proud of it ! So I totally understand that, because your only purpose was going to bed early, this ambiance was not the one you were looking for. It’s really a pity because, as said before, Riad Monceau is quite unique in its own way whereas most Marrakech small riads are perfect places to rest and.. do no more than rest.

I am not sure we deserve this 3/5 mark but I perfectly understand why you are giving it to us. I am not sure we deserve to be blamed either and we’ve definitely no reason to blame you (even though we don’t like very much average marks !). The only one to be blamed in fact is the agency that suggested you should stay at Riad Monceau without making sure this would be the best place for you to stay. Of course, due to our very good reputation we know that most agencies suggest their clients to stay at our hotel but this is not fair : the best hotel is the one that is going to be good for you… and it is obvious that Riad Monceau, whatever its qualities, cannot pretend to be the perfect hotel for every traveler coming to Marrakech.

This is why I strongly suggest to every traveler to arrange his stay personally. First of all one should think of what he’s exactly looking for, then one should take time to visit the hotels’ websites and check carefully the reviews and tips on Tripadvisor. If you do so there’s a good chance you find and choose a hotel that matches perfectly your wishes. That’s the best way to avoid misunderstandings and disappointments.

Thank you to Tripadvisor for allowing us to publish this management reply.
Isabelle Aubry
Owner Le Riad Monceau
Boutique hotel, gourmet restaurant and cooking school
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Fantastic boutique hotel, great courtyard dining area with dip pool. Traditional RIAD minutes from the main square but an oasis of calm and quiet. Excellent food and nice rooms, not overdone but very classy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Without a doubt the best solution to see Marrakech. Riad Monceu is located in the centre of city, 2 mins of walkin from the big square (El Fna). Here you can breathe the real culture of Marocco and this is the reason why i hate go through the big hotel (like Sofitel or Mamounia)
The restaurant is absolutely elegant with an incredible athmosfere.The quality of food is superb and the two girls who work on the staff are so kind and professional (and to be honest very nice, which is good no? ;) )
Everything was fine.
Marcello

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed at the Riad for 3 nights and it couldn't have been bettered.
Very close to the main square and all the cultural attractions and yet quiet and calm within the walls. The staff were very friendly and the restaurant was amazing - the evening menu was typical Moroccan- beautifully cooked with local ingredients - delicious!! The roof terrace was a great place to watch the sun go down with a beer. I also had an oriental massage in the spa which was excellent.

Room Tip: All the rooms were great but you may want one on the first floor if you sleep lightly as breakfast i...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Le Riad Monceau? Share your experiences!