“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Dar Zaman

Save Saved
You added Riad Dar Zaman to your Saves list
Riad Dar Zaman
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   29 Derb Boualilou | Sidi Ben Slimane, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Offers & Announcements
Marrakech Smart Deal
Ranked #50 of 1,040 Marrakech B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed in Dar Zaman for three nights and it was a great experience. The riad itself is beautiful and really well kept. We had the Baignoire room, which was very small but this was fine as we didn't need to be in it much, however if you are staying for longer than 3 nights you might like to chose one of the slightly larger rooms. Breakfast was nice - orange juice, a pastry, pancake, yoghurt, breads and jams, and eggs if wanted. The best thing about the riad though was the incredibly helpful and friendly staff. Hassan sits down with you on arrival and goes through a map, giving advice about where to go and how to get places etc - which as it was our first in Marrakech was invaluable. Not only this but he went out of his way to help us out - for example escorting us to another riad which we could not find (as we decided to stay in Marrakech an extra night and sadly by the time we decided to there was no room left at Dar Zaman).

I would recommend getting Dar Zaman to organise your transfer. It's probably more expensive than just getting a taxi from the airport but I do not know how we would ever have found it without them personally escorting us there! I would also say it may not be the best place to stay if you are on your own and you are not entirely confident- as getting back to the riad can prove very difficult (down what seems like a maze of alleyways!) and it took us quite a few attempts before we learnt it!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
RiadDarZaman, Owner at Riad Dar Zaman, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thanks Kiri for coming to stay, and glad you enjoyed your time with us!

331 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We spent 3 nights at this Riad and it couldn't have been better. As a first time visitor the help and advice from Peter and Hassan couldn't have been more useful, and the location was perfect to walk in and out of the main attractions, whilst still being amongst the real Marrakech. A real oasis away from the madness.

The riad and the rooms are spotlessly clean and beautifully presented and every morning we were served a fantastic spread for breakfast.

The real highlight of our stay was Hassans talk when we first arrived. He tells you all the best places to go and great advice about what and what not to do to avoid any hassle, which was invaluable

Would definitely return, a real home from home and so welcoming.

• Stayed September 2013
Staunton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Peter and his team were nothing short of excellent. From the telephone call before the trip to say "I haven't heard from you about your arrival and I want to ensure you are met" to the final wave goodbye, Peter and Hamman were friendly, helpful, hospitable and went the extra mile. Two friends from New Zealand, my sister in law and I spent a wonderful four days here amidst the hustle bustle of Marrakesh and going back to the Riad was like coming back to our own home. Its small, only 4 rooms, but this added to the delight of feeling it was just ours. Dar Zaman is a calm oasis in the excitement that is pulse of this exciting city. Restaurants were recommended, a trip to Yves Saint Laurent's unforgettable gardens was organised and a memorable trip to the beautiful Atlas Mountains were all effortlessly arranged. We ate a delicious tagine en maison one night and dined out for the rest of the time. This was my first trip to Morocco and won't be the last. I would have o hesitation in recommending Dar Zaman and I will be back for more!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Guildford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Spent 3 nights over a long weekend in Marrakech and stayed here. The service was excellent and the staff were very friendly. The rooms were very good and the hotel was perfectly positioned for shopping in the Souks.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very high quality
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We absolutely LOVED our time at this Riad! Genuinely one of the most amazing, caring places I have stayed in all my travels. It is a charming place to stay. We had the terrace room and loved that we had a beautiful outdoor space right outside our room. The room was very clean and comfortable. The staff is beyond amazing. Hassan (hotel manager) was attentive to all of our needs. When we arrived he showed us a detailed map and gave us a ton of tips and directions. It is really easy getting to the souks and square from the riad's location. My husband and I both had ill stomachs when we arrived, and Hussan was so amazing, making sure we had enough water and even brought us medicine and would check up on us. Also, Peter, the owner, came by to see us on the last night and even gave us tips and a map for Essaouira (our stop after Marrakech). The breakfasts were amazing! Large and delicious. On the first day we asked for mint tea unsweetened instead of coffee, and every day after they brought it to us just how we wanted it...they were very attentive! At night, the riad is lit with candles and is very beautiful. A nice retreat from the craziness of the souks! Honestly, this place really made our trip to Marrakech fantastic. I was sad to leave. I would recommend staying here to anyone visiting Marrakech!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Dar Zaman was an excellent choice as a first timer to Morocco and beginning my trip in Marrakesh. I chose it because as a non French- Arabic speaking solo female:) I wanted some support from an English speaker at the beginning of my adventure. Needless to say, reviews were all positive too.

Peter, the owner is a cool guy. His correspondence with me was prompt, professional, helpful and prior to leaving the UK, I felt I was in safe hands for the Marrakesh portion of my trip. I took the airport transfer upon arriving- yes would recommend if you have never visited before. Fact is that Sidi Ben Slimane, where the riad is based is NOT so centrally located i.e. next to the Jemma El Fenna Square etc. This is NOT a problem once you get your bearings - in fact it is rather good - to escape the madness of the souks (very close to riad) and the bustle. Initially, however, it is something to bear in mind and I did get extremely lost on day 1. Marrakesh is a maze and maps are of little use. (imho) As a testament to the supportive nature of the team - I was collected from where I was after an sos call:) That same eve I triumphantly navigated my own way back and had no issues thereafter.

I had my own plans made and was not looking to see every landmark in Marrakesh and eat in fine restaurants. If this is your bag then I have no doubt the staff here will help you with every detail you need. What I needed was: a safe base, help/advice regarding using public transport to venture onwards from Marrakesh, occasional reassurance, good breakfast and local knowledge. I got all of these things. I decided to stay here on my last night before flying back to London because I felt I knew it, felt at home and wanted to visit friends one last time.

Regarding riad type questions....wifi is very good....food - breakfasts etc it has all been said - in brief - very nice. I got frustrated with the carb heavy Moroccan diet esp breakfasts - I requested eggs and this was no issue. Time to have breakfast is pretty flexible. Room wise - there are 4 - all riads are small. I stayed in Baignoire –functional... a small double – because I wanted a bath tub which I don't have at home! Loved it and requested the same room for my last night. Has a safe – although aside from peace of mind- you don't need it. Compared to other places I stayed on my travels - this riad is very quiet and peaceful - which I think is perfect for Marrakesh.

Finally...Many reviewers have commented on the helpful, friendly nature of Hassan who manages the riad. I will second this and add that in fact I consider him to be a friend. He is a busy bee....very mindful of guests and their needs. He is indeed very helpful - very friendly and mostly a kind, sincere individual. I know that Hassan really cares about his work and the team have a strong relationship, which no doubt aids the way the riad is run. If you ask him for something he will sort it out- no problems. Really, from my experience, when travelling away from what you know – meeting people with this attitude is what makes or breaks your experience. I have already stayed here twice and on returning to Marrakesh, when I do, I will stay again. If for no other reason – to visit my friend, re- experience a district I came to really rather like and still be perfectly located for everything you may wish to do/see in Marrakesh.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
RiadDarZaman, Owner at Riad Dar Zaman, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thanks boasy for your eloquent depiction of what we offer at Dar Zaman. We enjoyed having you stay and are very happy to know that our efforts are appreciated. It makes it all worthwhile :) Our aim at Dar Zaman is to truly look after our guests, offer insights on Marrakech, insider tips on what to see, where to go, where to eat etc.

Breakfasts at Dar Zaman include fresh fruit, home made yoghurt, eggs to order, along with fresh croissants, pain au chocolat, fresh bread and crepes, fresh squeezed orange juice, coffee and tea.
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

...from the boiling HOT Marrakech. Quiet and calm...and still so close to the souks.
Hassan was very helpful in introducing a few places to go - and helping with booking tables at restaurants. Lovely filling breakfast - even on my departure day (at 0630!). I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Only 4 rooms - I would prefer the 1st floor and not the room at the roof terasse.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Riad Dar Zaman? Share your experiences!